iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pin oak hybrid ?

Started by purple otter, May 29, 2016, 09:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purple otter

I have 2 pin oak trees that I transplanted about 15 years ago. One has the pin oak disease all over it,the other doesn't have a trace. All the pin oaks in the woods around here get the knots eventually. I am looking for another to plant ,but I don't want to transplant a diseased tree. I looked closer at the non-diseased tree and think it might be a hybrid. 

The leaf on the bottom is from the typical pin oak ,and the one on top is from the suspected hybrid. The top leaf is broader in the middle and has a red leaf stalk versus the green of the bottom one. Also the top is yellower. Both trees have the typical central leader horizontal branch form. A few of the suspected hybrid have germinated in my garden bed so if they are disease free i will pot them and plant them later.
Hudson Oscar 228 on homebuilt trailer, Kubota B2320 with homebuilt forks,Stihl 028 Super & 029 Super, Solar Kiln .

mesquite buckeye

More likely just a variant within the species. :(  What trees do you have nearby that could hybridize with its mom? If it is a hybrid most likely it would be a nearby oak of a different species.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Autocar

I'll cut pin oak that crosses with red and sumer oak there cut as good as red oak. Some will have pin knots all the way to the ground and other will be clean as a whistle. Nice to cut the clean one's because there go in the grade pile rather then pallet.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!