iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Way too close for comfort!

Started by Den Socling, May 29, 2016, 04:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Yesterday we were enjoying some time at the creek with some friends.

Meanwhile, my son Garrett and some of his friends were enjoying their side of the creek. This included several children. Suddenly, there was a crack and a crash.

A whole tree landed just a few feet from their picnic table. Way too close for comfort!

thecfarm

I just took a drive through the woods. 3 big limbs,a bunch of small ones and one tree about 6 inches across was down. Thing happens. More firewood.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Last summer we brought the kids and all the horses home from a horse show, my wife, sister and bil were all sitting in the yard enjoying a beverage while the kids washed and put away the animals when my niece asked what the popping noise was.  She went to investigate, I followed and told her to get back, about 2 seconds later a 12" or so branch broke off a black locust and fell a few inches from my feet, there wasn't a breath of wind that evening.

Magicman

I have a good friend that took a falling limb on the back of his head.  No warning whatsoever.  It was serious but could have been much worse.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

that could have been very bad glad everyone is ok :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Ljohnsaw

Last year my neighbors, two of their visiting friends and I were walking down my forest road showing them my property.  Heard a crash behind us.  About 20' up the hill behind us, the top section of a 8" rotted pine broke off about 10' up and fell across the road we just traveled.  I now scan all the trees around me as I walk...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

red

I was knocked out by a widow maker once .  Hit me flat on top of my head .  I did not go to the hospital but hindsight I think I should have .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

John Mc

I had wanted to add FOPS to my compact tractor ever since I got the logging winch about 8 or 9 years ago. I never had an incident while working with the winch, but last spring I was mowing one of my trails - no logging going on, hadn't bumped anything - when a 3" diameter branch landed on the ROPS bar about a foot from my head. It broke, and a piece of it grazed my head. Fortunately, when it bounced off the ROPS bar, it lost most of its momentum. I didn't even get a bump or a cut. I wear my helmet when I'm out working with a saw, but not when I'm just out mowing the trails.

That was my wake-up call. Got the FOPS (and belly pan, while I was at it) installed that summer.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!