iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

actual cutting

Started by rl, May 29, 2016, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rl

does any one realiey produce what mill spects say  mine says up to 450 to 500  . it has only happened  1 time sawing 8x8x16 out of log...no clean ups  I want to go to a show and see what they saw in I hour   not badmouthing any mill not even saying what mine is but I cut 200 to 250 per hr average   2000ft day is great   rl
rl

Ianab

What the mill COULD do, and what you achieve in the real world are usually quite different.

So it depends how the manufacturer measures production. How many workers? What support equipment? What are they cutting?

So for example Peterson rate their WPF mill at 1200 to 3600 bd/ft a day. Now sure they could say "up to 3600", and I've seen scenarios where that's perfectly possible. Cutting garden sleepers out of 4 - 5 ft dia Redwood logs, with 3 guys and a forklift.
But back in the real world where you are cutting smaller boards, have to offload yourself, stop to load new logs, and clean up the mess as you go...  Then the 1200 may be all you get though in a full day.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

derhntr

When a manufacture tells you up to  X number of board feet per hour. That is under perfect conditions with good logs to work with. I never come close to my mills capacity. 
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

rl

it does not matter to me  I get done what I do   to someone buying will be unhappy if trying to create business statergy     like to see more real figures claimed than possibles    I love my mill and more than happy with it and the manufacter   rl
rl

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rl on May 29, 2016, 03:46:58 PM
.......but I cut 200 to 250 per hr average   2000ft day is great   rl

2,000 bf per day x 5 days is 10,000 bf a week x 25 cents a bf comes to $2500 a week.
Thats $10,000 a month.

You can slow down a little if you like.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brucer

Divide the number by 4. That will be something to aim for.

I've looked at catalogues over the years and all the manufacturers tend to quote the high numbers these days. It used to be you'd see a range of outputs, listed for each motor size. I used to take the low one and divide that in half. After a couple of years of practice I actually started to get close to my revised target.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

hopm

Never tried to keep up with it. After reading this thread i never will cause I'm afraid I couldn't handle the disappointment. ;D ;D ;D

Magicman

I never ever have a bf sawing amount that I am striving for while sawing.  I am often asked by customers, but my answer is that we will know at the end of the day.  Quantity is not a goal that I strive for but at the end of the day it will be there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hopm on May 29, 2016, 09:43:00 PM
Never tried to keep up with it. After reading this thread i never will cause I'm afraid I couldn't handle the disappointment. ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry about the time....just saw good lumber and there will be NO disappointment.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

killamplanes

My saying is quote : the fastes way to put wood accross the mill is to lower the log stop and keep rolling logs accross the deck.. watch production sky rocket.. 8)
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

sandsawmill14

i saw 1 companies demo video and they were saying over 500 bdft per hour and they did it  right there on video BUT it was one log sawn into either 6/4 or 8/4 (cant remember) 470 bdft or so in about 45 min so it would have been over 500 bdft per hour but it was strictly saw time no lumber or log handling at all :)

i think they are all a little deceiving but none are making it up they just dont explain how you have to get those numbers :-\
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Peter Drouin

Good logs and some Giddy up and you will get there.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Well said Peter.  Steady as she goes and all that you will be thinking about at day's end will be a shower, supper, and the bed.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

4200 bdft in 8hrs is the best i have ever done ;D sawing all 10' poplar logs into random width 6/4 lumber ;D but the logs were perfect nothing under 20" or over 24 or maybe 26" dia but i only averaged about 280 bdft per hour for the week but anything over 200 per hour when you average all week and i am happy but there are weeks that its closer to 100 bdft per hour :( :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

crowhill

A lot of young fellas worked on the farm for my Dad and he was always saying "slow down, load light and go often. At the end of the day you will have worked all day and accomplished a day's work." I was reminded of that this spring while sawing. Had two young 30 something's working on the mill with me for two weeks hitting between 300 n 350 bdft hourly of mixed sizes, but mostly 1" random width. Wasn't hard to do with great help,, but I could only do 5 or 5.5hrs a day! Pushing to the limit isn't always the best way to go!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Thank You Sponsors!