iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this right..... Blade sharpening

Started by Rickcnc, May 28, 2016, 10:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickcnc

I have had my blades sharpened twice now and the shop has taken off close to .190 of a inch in the two sharpenings. .. Is this right..
Watching videos and reading on this board, I understood you should be taking off much less.. I don't believe I'm abusing my blades when cutting, I typically swap them out every two to three hours .. they still cut fine prior to removal.  when the blades were new they were 1.250 inches high.. now the are coming in at 1.060 high.

The shop I have been using is really busy. (Been offering sharpening services for more than 20 years)

terrifictimbersllc

0.19 inch is Way too much for 2 sharpenings of a non damaged blade.  I'd say .01-.02 per sharpening.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Mine take 10 sharpening to get down to 1 1/8". about 12 thousands per sharpening.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ox

Way, way too much being taken off per sharpening.  Sounds like they set their machine to take care of every situation in one swipe (damaged blades).  They're costing you money at this point, unfortunately.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

No matter how long they have been in business, you need another sharpening service or maybe consider investing in a sharpener and setter.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chop Shop

Hopefully they are not swapping you blades?

barbender

Not to mention, that heavy of a grind is likely getting the blade hot and could cause gullet cracks. At least, from what I've read by Tim Cook would suggest that.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Please excuse the mess, my sharpening area is barely better than a chicken coop, but this is what I set up after not being able to find a reliable local sharpening service (I didn't want to have to send them out). Cook's sharpener and a Suffolk Machine dual tooth setter I found on Ebay. I think I have around $2300 invested between the two. 
Too many irons in the fire

woodyone.john

Rick ,what you report is why I sharpen and set my own.I did use a professional outfit to do my blades once and what they did was grind down the top of the tooth at the right angle but by 1/8 '' leaving the gullet and face untouched.Their explanation was that they couldn't match the profile,and they still wanted to be paid.Now I do my own and with changing out blades after about 2 hours,[or sooner as required] a blade will usually stand 10 sharpens with 2-3 settings in its life. Now whilst it takes me time to prat with setting and sharpening I dont have to pay for freight to and fro nor sharpening charges and have and am still learning what it takes to have reliable sharp blades. If you do much sawing at all your sharpening person/people need to be your best friends or learn how to do your own. Theres a lot of info on here about both sharpening and setting,but you will need to do a bit of searching.cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

dean herring

If they are taking .19 off your blades that means they are grinding just over 3/16". I think .019 is what you are getting.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

terrifictimbersllc

I was thinking that too. .019 for 2 sharpenings could fully restore a moderately dull but not damaged band
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ox

The math he had in his first post says he lost .190 in two sharpenings, though.  ???
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Rickcnc

That's correct it was .190, not .019.... I'm currently looking searching for a sharpener and setter.. . From what I'm reading, Cooks looks like a winner, however the current exchange rage and shipping cost have me looking for something here in Canada.

Peter Drouin

What ever you get get one with a CBN wheel in oil sharpener.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Rickcnc

*********Update*************
I picked up a Cooks Cats Claw single tooth setter and sharpener from Kijiji a couple of weeks ago and am proceeding to set and sharpen my own Blades..

New question,

When sharpening 1 1/4" blades, at what height would you consider the blade to be end of life. (ie.. hardness ground away in the tip). I have a few that are approaching 1", and am wondering if they are worth the time...

Kbeitz

I think everyone is different, but I run my blade until they brake.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

Oops... Spelling never was my strong side and I don't think it ever
will be... Sorry...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Nothing wrong with your spelling, but I did think that the usage was comical, plus I am a bad man.   ;D

Cedarman

For me sharpening and setting blades is one of the most boring things I do.  We have a 2 headed WM resaw, a Baker 2 head band scragg and an LT30.  So I have a lot of blades.  I found that getting books on CD and listening to them while setting and sharpening makes life so much better.  Especially when I get to a good part of the book and want to get back to listening to it.  I want to work on blades so I can hear my book.  I also listen when I take my daily walk.
I use the CBN with oil and an old time WM setter. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

4x4American

Keep those blades and practice on them.  There's a long learning curve to sharpening, but once you figure it out, you're better off.
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

I take one blade out of the box and use it until it can't be used any
more before I go to the next new blade. If it gets dull in the middle
of a job I stop and sharpen it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

I usually have two bands in service at a time depending how busy I am at the mill. About the time a band gets dull I want to head home for lunch. I put the sharpened band on and take the dull one home to sharpen. When I sharpen I take the bare minimum off, first two or three times I don't even clean the bottom of the gullet. After many many  sharpenings when the 1 1/2" bands are ground down to 1 1/4" they start to dive, when that starts they dive in the dumpster. Even being a cheap yankee I can't complain about the service I get out of a band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

I keep 6 blades in rotation!

I agree with bandmiller2, I take as little as possible off of the blades, but just make sure that the tips of the teeth are properly sharpened.

Usually when my blades reach the end of their lives, they are either cracked or broken!

I sometimes get as many as 18-20 sharpenings before they crack or break!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ox

I use until they break or they're so short the gullets/teeth start hammering on the guides.

Thank You Sponsors!