iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holiday Bundles

Started by Corley5, May 27, 2016, 06:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We made 160 bundles for the local gas station/party/hardware/convenience store today.  They were down to their last half dozen.  It was April 9th when we took the last 160 to them.  From start to the finished delivery and payment took 4.5 hours for 160 bundles.  The wood was processed from soft maple pallet bolts.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

It was hot too.  Mid 80s and sticky.  It was snowing not too many days ago ;D

hedgerow

I hope the weather is better there for the holiday weekend that is going to be here so your customer can sell lots of the bundles. I had help coming for the long weekend to help me cut and split my firewood supply for next year. I need about 15 cords processed. I hate to wish rain away as we raise corn and bean but we have had enough rain for now. The folks that go camping around here aren't going to be happy for the holiday.

Bricklayer51

I got 4 bundles made up, put them in my little trailer out front took about 2 hrs and a few cold ones.

Corley5

That sounds like it was more fun  ;) :D ;D ;D

Corley5

Supposed to be fairly decent weather.  Warm and bit sticky with pop up afternoon showers possible.  A little cooler and dryer Memorial Day but still in the 70s for highs.
  These bundles should last them until around the 4th of July.  Either right before or right after we'll have to replenish them. 

Bricklayer51

I made up a rack that I fill and then I tighten it up with poly strapping then wrap it with the clear wrap . It is one of the few jobs in the firewood business you can safely have a couple while working.

barbender

I delivered 30 bundles today, in the about the same amount of time as you, Corley :)  My production numbers could stand to improve a bit ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Bricklayer51

Sold my 4 bundles yesterday made 1 more late, I will make more as there is a lot of people up from downstate.

armechanic

Glad to see someone else that sells bundles.  I bundled about 30 in 4 hrs by myself, but I don't get in any hurry  I keep the coffee pot going.  I use a heat shrink wrap and use 100% oak. about 3/4 cu ft and about 25# depending on moisture content.  I am in North Arkansas with 3 lakes and about 5 rivers and several smaller creeks so lots of hiking and camping.
1989 Lt 40, D6C CAT, Home made wood processer in progress.

Bricklayer51

Big weekend in hl sold 10 bundles, had to stand in line for 10 minutes at the general store. There were so many boats there was no place to park so they would put the boat in water then drive out to the main road to park.

Corley5

There were still a few left at the store the beginning of the weekend.  We ran another 160 on Sunday  8)  There were 20 or so left by then.  Had to wait in line to get paid ;D  More people in the area this 4th than we've had in several years.  My son sold a couple hundred dollars worth of wood from the roadside racks too  8) 8)  Need to process wood to replenish that supply

hedgerow

The rec areas around here were pretty slow for the holiday as it was cool and rainey . We got about an inch of rain that took two day to get that inch. Nice to see it as our crops were starting to hurt we just don't normally get cool rainey days around the four of July  here. The heat is back on know.

PennPete

This is my first post and I would just like to say hello to this community. I've been reading posts here for about a week and find that this community is very engaging and knowledgeable about forestry and woodworking.

It's amazing how well a one-man-shop operation can do in a small town with little competition. I'm not sure if that is the case here, but it's great to see people making money off their land in a healthy and resourceful way. I've owned a lumber mill for over 30 years now, and can't believe I'm just seeing this website now. My eye sight is not so great, but I just recently got a new computer that is easier to read.

I hope to chime in more, when there is something I am interested in and can possibly be helpful to someone.

Raider Bill

I have been seeing these lately at the local grocery store

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

lopet

Don't think those logs will be hot sellers.  :D :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

I saw them burning logs at walmart last year.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

Hello PennPete and welcome to the FF.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

PennPete,missed your post the first time.
Welcome to the forum.
Owned a mill for 30 years? What kind? Part time,full time? A lot of logs should of went through that mill in 30 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Wowza... 10 bucks for an 8" block? Poston needs to quit screwing around with $300 benches!  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

Another 160 today.  This batch should last through Labor Day.  If previous seasons are any predictor we'll need another batch in 6 weeks or so and again around the middle of November for deer season 8)

Magicman

Hello PennPete, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Greg,

You better get hopping  ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bricklayer51

Wow time sure goes by fast its been awhile since this came up just wanted to say I broke my record of bundles sold on a weekend 22 so far.I sold the last on at 730 last nite laid the sign face down next to a empty trailer going out back to make a few more.

Corley5

We've moved more bundles this season than ever as well.  We took 164 to the local gas station on 8/20.  Just came by there an hour ago and they're almost sold out.  I'll round up some help to make some one evening this week.  This bunch should last well into the fall.  Maybe... 

Bricklayer51

Corley after I got home from the auction yesterday it was almost steady since I do all by hand I was going steady till 7 I made up 4 more today now I am going to the store to get another 30 pack of the orange ones

Thank You Sponsors!