iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks, but No thankyou moments

Started by plowboyswr, May 26, 2016, 11:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plowboyswr

As I have read on here numerous times, the word has gotten out that I have a mill. Now it seems the offers are coming in. The BIL sends me a text the other day "what kind of wood are you hunting for?" Having just woke up form my Sunday afternoon nap still groggy replied back "for what?" "lumber" is the answer I get, which perks my interest so the questions flow "what kind, how big, where at, and how much". Pecan, I don't know I will get a picture, my sister's place, and free."  I know from my read here how pecan can act but a free log I'd gamble, probably a yard tree, still not a deal breaker. then I get the picture...

Where's the log? :o OH my, it's still standing! Wait a minute it's not just one tree it's 5 trees and they want me to cut them.  :D :D :D Sorry bub but I'm not an arborist nor do I have insurance for that. Call me when it's down I'll help with the clean-up. ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

barbender

I've already exceedex my lifetime quota of "free" trees like that. You were wise to let them go ;)
Too many irons in the fire

redprospector

I've learned that there is no such thing as "free" logs.
I bid on a thinning project the other day, and the owner said "I want to keep the first log out of each of those pines in the front. I'm going to see what the guy up the road with a mill will give me for them". I just laughed and said "that'll cost ya extra".  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Hiway40frank

I would take that job anyday if they signed a contract, assumed all liability and payed me 250/hr. Besides that someone trying to get a 1000+$ job done for free is the same person who would bring you to small claims court over a 200$ bill to re-seed the lawn...

DDW_OR

I wish i had Pecan trees that big on my property here in Oregon.
I LOVE pecan nuts.

I agree with the others, NO job is Free.
"let the machines do the work"

sandsawmill14

i get calls like that from time to time usually 48" plus oaks with a real nice 6' butt log and a 100' long 2nd cut with 24" limbs on it some even want to sell it but most it s free for the taking as long as you clean up the brush :-\ :D :D  so far i have been able to resist the temtation ;D :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

woodman58

I had a neighbor call the other day. He heard I was looking for pine. He has about 150 trees on 3 acres he wanted to give me if I cut them down. I had a slight interest so, I went to take a look. They were 12 to 18 inches at my chest. (just what I wanted) Then he told me he wanted me to clean up the branches and grind the stumps. I figured that with my time and the rental of a stump grinder it was going to cost me about 2 times what it would cost me to buy them from a logger. No thanks
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

YellowHammer

Just get used to that, you'll get jobs offers like that all the time.  I had one this week where a lady said if I cut a big red oak down, I could have it, only that it was so close to the back door of her house that she didn't trust her husband to do it....
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Chuck White

I've gotten a few requests from people wanting me to cut their tree down, I just say "I don't want anything to do with a tree until it is cut into logs and stacked"!

End of discussion!   ;)  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Skip

Tell to call you when its down. ;D

Magicman

I just saws um and leaves um.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Magicman, every time I read that I get a chuckle.  It's hilarious!  That should be your motto and advertise it somehow without "offending" anyone out in public.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jim_Rogers

I tell people "I don't cut trees down, I cut them up^"   8) :o :D ;D

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

paul case

Please do not share my contact info with them. ???
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Percy

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 27, 2016, 09:20:29 AM
I tell people "I don't cut trees down, I cut them up^"   8) :o :D ;D

Jim Rogers
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

plowboyswr

Quote from: paul case on May 27, 2016, 09:25:48 AM
Please do not share my contact info with them. ???
PC
You sure Paul?  ;) :D
Steve

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

plowboyswr

Quote from: WDH on May 27, 2016, 01:19:48 PM
The answer is NO!
:D :D :D :D When the B.I.L. said pecan the first thing that came to mind was you saying that it's the  smiley_devil
Steve

lewis

I will occasionally cut a tree or trees,but they need to be clean and strait because if it is around a house, I will leave the butt cut as chances are they have metal in them 

dgdrls

Local trade papers, posting boards and well,....  we all know where else
have lots of these Jewels

No thank you,
being a little older and wiser has its benefits ;)

Dan

Ox

I had a guy last year TELL me what he's going to pay me to saw up some red oak for him.  I declined, just out of principle.  It was actually close to the going rate for around here (.40/bf), but I was quite busy at the time with other important things and I didn't appreciate that he thought he could dictate pricing to me.  Plus, my mill being all manual I would have lost on that one anyway.
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

fishfighter

Yep, had a few people wanting me to fell trees for the logs. Not going to happen. :D

Peter Drouin

Ox, I get that from time to time. OR, [You only have to make 4 cuts]  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

sealark37

The last tree i was "given" was a beautiful longleaf pine, knocked over in a storm.  Level ground, no obstructions, right at 36 inches at the butt.  Three 16' logs with no limbs.  Buck it and stack the limbs and tops.  The root plate was over 10' tall, with a 3' hole under it.  I was a bit leery, so I put six cedar posts against it to keep it from falling.  After limbing and stacking, I bucked the trunk into 16 footers.  When I made the butt cut, the root ball spit out three of the cedar posts, and crushed the other three into the hole.  All I saw was the stump disappearing from my vision.  Two of the loose posts fell harmlessly, while the other one went through the side of the barn and almost started a stampede.  The "thump" brought out all the neighbors  for a quarter mile, and taught me that I enjoyed playing with a sawmill a lot more than cutting timber.  As an aside, when the word got out, the lumber and slabs went like hotcakes.     Regards, Clark

Ox

sealark - great story!  I had the butt log of a big old sugar maple stand up like that once but in slower motion.  I left it like that for a few years to season, which worked out well.  I had a few people ask how I got up there to make such a nice square cut at 16' in the air.  :D

Peter - only 4 cuts?  Heh.  That 4 turns into multiple after they see the thicker flitches and start getting greedy for every single board that might be salvaged and they want you to repeatedly shave them to try to get the "best" board.  But at the first agreed upon price of course!  People never cease to amaze me.  It's as if they never try to put themselves in the other person's boots and see what they're doing.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!