iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Size matters, how big can my LT40 Hydraulic lift?

Started by Scott Sawdust, May 26, 2016, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Sawdust

Hey all, I am new to this business. Just got a 40" dia x 10' ash log here, can my LT40 lift it up for cutting? Looks pretty big compared to the other stuff I have been cutting.
You're sure there are no nails in this log? Trust, but verify.

KirkD

The weight Calc in the toolbox says between 4,100 and 4,500 depending on what type of ash it is. We will have to let the experts on the LT40 weigh in on lift capacity.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

derhntr

I have done 42" 14' white pine that I had to cut groove with chain saw to fit guides. and 36" 12' Red and White oaks. Had to use 2 helpers with cant hooks to keep log from rolling off log lift. But picked them up ok.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

derhntr

Magicman

Sure you can manage to get it up on the sawmill, but then what do you do?  You had better load the butt end to the front so that you can see where your blade guides will be.  You will have to roll it to the left to gain throat space.

Be very careful because you do not want to loose that log over the side.

Turning the log will be a major effort.  It takes time and can be done if your sawmill has a two plane clamp and you can use the turner and clamp together to lift and shift the log.  If it does not, you will probably have to rely on a front end loader or something.

Now that you have your mouth full and the sawmill overloaded, the blade will still only raise to 36" above the bed.  That first cut will be taking a whopping 4" off.  You will then have to turn it 1/8th and take another nibble.

By the time you have it down to a manageable size it will be 36" which is what WM advertises that the sawmill can handle.  I have loaded 42's a few times, but they were no fun.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

MM,

I'm assuming he can still set that 4" first slab aside and resaw it later if its fairly uniform and worth the effort.

Why do you have to turn 1/8 for the next nibble? Why not 1/4 and take another 4" which could also be resawed? I haven't tried trimming one down quite that big yet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

derhntr

WV,  if you rotate 90 degrees you exceed the cutting width of the guides. You still have a 40 inch tall log but now have close to 36 inches wide to cut with 25 inches between guides. It will not fit. And you have same problem if you rotate 180 you take another 4 in slab and cant is still 2 wide. Sorry I can not put in to words what I am trying to express.   

Magicman

You can only hope that the log is oblong or you may never make that first cut.   :-\
42" Sinker Cypress  &  Biggest log on LT-40? Thread
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Someone on the Forum advised us to take blade off to see if the blade guides will pass from end to end.  Takes time, big logs take a lot of extra time and effort.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

It might, you have to try.  I believe I've loaded 5100 pounds before.  Turning that weight is harder than loading.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Delawhere Jack

Your in for a Doctorate level test of skills milling one that large, trust me......  ::)

I've started telling clients that 36" diam is a hard limit. Over that, split it with a chainsaw before I arrive.

Delawhere Jack

Magicman

I often use my "end tong" and log clamp to help the loader by snugging the log toward the loader hinges.  Yes, it helps.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Scott Sawdust!

Your LT40 shouldn't have any issues lifting that log, I have a 1995 LT40 and I've loaded 38 inch diameter X 16 foot Hemlock logs with no issued.

As already suggested, you'll more than likely have to turn a little, whittle a little and turn again and so on until it's within your mills normal capabilities.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I sawed a 39 inch Poplar log a couple of years ago. The biggest logs I've sawn.
Sawing Poplar is cheating a little... :D they're generally round.  :)
But before I did, I was a little unsure about how or if I could.
I called Magicman and got his advice and tips.
He helped a lot and I now saw a good many logs over 33 inches comfortably.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Try it, If the mill will not load it, roll it away and rip in ½ then load ½.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Czech_Made

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on May 26, 2016, 05:40:42 PM
Your in for a Doctorate level test of skills milling one that large, trust me......  ::)

I've started telling clients that 36" diam is a hard limit. Over that, split it with a chainsaw before I arrive.

I have seen log splitted with black powder,  more fun than the chainsaw  ;D

derhntr

I have split large oaks with black power ;D and it is fun. On the right log you can get a pretty smooth split. You have to spend a little prep time with the chain saw. I cut a 3-4 inch deep channel on both ends and same for length of log. Then bore holes with auger bit about half the depth of the log. Number of holes is dependent on log. Normally 3 holes for 8-10 footer.  One about 16 inches back from each end and one in middle. I will not say how much powder I use or what kind but it is not very much.

Been a long time since I have done this. I have one I need to do one day its a 42 incher that blew down last year. I just don't have the equipment to move the logs and ground is still wet where it lays. It is still propped up by linb and root ball.     

paul case

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 26, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
Nothing would be more disappointing than to get the thing loaded with some loader or other machine and then not be able to move it at all. Been there. Did that. Didn't end well but I won.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Scott Sawdust

Thanks to all for your input! I have usually opted to split these large ones rather that turning them, as you all said it is very time consuming. Also my cut quality really suffers when cutting full width boards 25-28". Hard to keep the cut from waving  up and down.

Magicman

25"+ of unsupported blade is asking for much.  .055" blades would help and very well adjusted blade guides are a must.  You also had better have the correct sharp blade.

goose63

This one was to big for NDRanchers mill but with a little help form the Grandgerg we made it fit
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Scott Sawdust

I am cutting all hardwoods, ash, cherry, walnut, oak, locust. Using .045" x 1 1/4 x 158", 4 deg hook angle. How tightly do you adjust your guides?

YellowHammer

Quote from: paul case on May 27, 2016, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 26, 2016, 08:07:19 PM
Nothing would be more disappointing than to get the thing loaded with some loader or other machine and then not be able to move it at all. Been there. Did that. Didn't end well but I won.
PC
That's pretty much what happened here.  Loaded it, fought with it, gave up on it, split it then chewed it up.  This is just one of those things, I had to try. ;D  The loader arms loaded it, but even moving to the side, lowering backstops, etc, it was just too wide to get a bite with the saw.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!