iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Vehicularly Oriented Question

Started by williamgriffin, May 26, 2016, 12:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamgriffin

First - thanks for all the responses to my "carrying a gun in the woods" question - a lot of helpful insight there 8)! Secondly, I have another "newbie" question...

I have always heard about how the bigger companies out there will almost always provide a truck for their foresters in the field, but I have never heard it from the horses mouth, as it were.

I drive a truck right now, but could potentially upgrade to a newer, smaller, much more fuel efficient vehicle in about 6 months or so. Is it worth it? Will I be sorry if I do it? I have fewer and fewer needs for a truck the more I am having to buckle down in school and it feels like it's worth looking into.

Thanks in advance!
JWG

sawguy21

If you are using the vehicle as part of your duties then yes they should supply a vehicle or pay you for the use of yours. OTOH, if you only need transportation to and from the office then normally that is your responsibility. Once you move up the totem pole you might get personal use of a truck as a perk but here in Canada that portion is considered a taxable benefit.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DDW_OR

williamgriffin, since you are using your vehicle to go to work it "may" be use for mileage on your taxes.
talk to a good CPA. a CPA should be able to answer that question for free.
"let the machines do the work"

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, WilliamGriffin.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

RPF2509

Yes most companies will provide a truck, some let you take it home others make you park it at the end of the day. Depends on your hiring category OT exempt or non exempt.  As an exempt employee( ie no overtime pay - straight salary) I have enjoyed an employer provided truck but it comes with caveats like midnight fire duty, weekend patrol, unlocking gates at odd hours.  All in all its been a plus for me as the work truck gets the stuffing beat out of it and those off hour forays to the woods are infrequent.  Contract foresters generally provide and maintain their own trucks but can get tax benefits from them.  My work truck is as bare bones as it comes but I don't pay anything for it except a commute allowance (works in my favor).  A personal rig would be better outfitted but I'd be paying for all the gas and maintenance which you would need to account for in the rate you charge.  Unless your current vehicle needs major work I'd keep it.  Nothing puts money in your pockets like no car payments.  If you need to replace it and can afford it go used.  There are tons of trucks and suvs out there that have never seen a gravel road.  Look for stock or lightly modified vehicles as you can't tell sometimes how badly Bubba's treated his rig

Thank You Sponsors!