iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ash to Swamp White And Walnut

Started by Autocar, May 12, 2016, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

After all my white ash died I cut over fifty in my woods and theres probably that many more still standing in other ares of the woods. I cut probably two or three acres cleaned them all up and planted swamp white oak acorns and walnuts two years ago. Last Sunday took a walk grass or weeds what ever you want to call it took over because of all the sun light. But checking my stakes not all of them but better then half I have oaks 16 inches tall and walnuts 16/18 inches. I jamed them all over the place sure is fun to see them grow. I have Kentucky Coffee Bean pushing twenty feet in the same area I planted the beans years ago. To bad a person couldn't get boyscouts or guys from the county jails to travel around and fill in the areas with nuts and acorns and grow something for the future rather then a bunch of junk. We have well most of them [Woodlots ] growing only junk.
Bill

Klunker

Hard to grow white oaks around here too many deer. Walnut are easy. They turn it weeds if your not careful.
I agree on the planting/growing better stuff.
Seems every time someone who buys up a chunk of farm land, builds a house and then wants to plant some trees its usually a monoculture of spruce or pine.  Oaks, walnuts, butternut, hickory, maple and Basswood all are native to the area and they plant non-native spruces or pines.

As far as planting the small opening in the woods where the ash have been, good on you for getting some more valuable timber going.

thechknhwk

I'd like to do the same type of thing with about 12 acres :o  It's all weedy field right now.

coxy

Quote from: Autocar on May 12, 2016, 08:52:30 PM
After all my white ash died I cut over fifty in my woods and theres probably that many more still standing in other ares of the woods. I cut probably two or three acres cleaned them all up and planted swamp white oak acorns and walnuts two years ago. Last Sunday took a walk grass or weeds what ever you want to call it took over because of all the sun light. But checking my stakes not all of them but better then half I have oaks 16 inches tall and walnuts 16/18 inches. I jamed them all over the place sure is fun to see them grow. I have Kentucky Coffee Bean pushing twenty feet in the same area I planted the beans years ago. To bad a person couldn't get boyscouts or guys from the county jails to travel around and fill in the areas with nuts and acorns and grow something for the future rather then a bunch of junk. We have well most of them [Woodlots ] growing only junk.
what is a Kentucky coffee bean  is it a tree or a weed/bush  and agree 100% with the guys planting things I'm shur there are a lot of them that would love to be out side doing things

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Autocar

Coxy ,WDH pretty well covers it. Ive made gun stocks trim and furniture from these trees . My opinion it is better looking then red oak. It's a little redder then red oak but has  beautiful grain
Bill

coxy

thanks  :)  it is nice looking wood   I seen that thread and thought is was the drink and didn't read it   I hate coffee  steve_smiley steve_smiley

Autocar

Coxy it's crazy you hate coffee because that is how it got it's name. When settlers came into Kentucky they didn't have any coffee and the found out if they ground the beans off the tree it was simular to coffee. So there you go that's how it got it's name  ;D
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!