iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filling axles with gear oil

Started by Plankton, May 25, 2016, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plankton

Anybody have any nifty tricks for filling the axles on a skidder with gear oil?

I have some slow leaks on two of my wheels so every while I need to fill the axles at least on a Clark there hard to access, the front one immposible with a funnel as far as I can tell.

I have been using a gallon jug with a long hose attached to snake down into the fill hole. Problem with this setup is the jug has no way to breathe so it pours wiked slow and collapses slowly so I need to stop and take the cap off to let air in. Also pouring the 5gal into the gal takes awhile too I use 85 140 so it pours slooooow

Just looking to see if anybody has a clever setup idea I can use

MT logger

RHP Logging

I wondered if some kind of pump would work.  I pretty much do the hose thing.
Buckin in the woods

redneck

we used an old water fire exstinguisher.  Drain out water fill with oil.   It had a valve stem like a tire on it to repressure it with air when pressure became low.  Worked fast.   The only problem was the oil coming out was filled with air bubbles, but they likely went away over time
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Logger RK

Bucket pumps work good. I have one you put on a 5 gallon pail. Just checked & filled my C5's today.

Fether Hardwoods

If it's like mine it is 3/4 pipe thread, so I just put an elbow on it and a funnel keep it full while doing other service till it's full.

starmac

Bucket pumps, I have three five gallon ones and a 16 gallon one, so I don't have to change the pumps to different buckets until they are empty.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

treeslayer2003

yep bucket pump. on the clarks, wheel seals will drain the planetary so just keep them full. if its pinion seal on the rear then yeah fill at the rear plug.

Big Rooster

Bucket pumps rock.....you will never use a funnel again and you can actually keep your oil clean and top off just a bit if you need.  Check them out.  I had one of my guys walk by one of mine in the shop the other day and he asked what that was......had never even seen one and he has been around.  Maybe not as common as people think.  Just pick one up for 5 gallon jugs, normally come with several adapters for different jug threads.  Even has a place to put your nozzle. 

I was using mine to day to put in 30 gallons of gear oil in our TJ 450C......planetarys axles and diffs

Corley5

Bucket pump.  Now if someone would make a battery operated model ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Hilltop366

I wonder if a drill pump would work?

Plankton

Ive never heard of a bucket pump before today, I'm going to see if I can find one and try it out. Sounds like the ticket.

I bought a five gallon pail of motor oil the other day and it had a breather cap built in to the lid, how long did it take them to think of that one! When I was pouring from it it didn't do the glugging where it overshoots the hole everyother splash....so nice

air1514

I use a cheap weed sprayer from Walmart.  I just put a bigger hose on it and I'm able to pump it up and put in a gal at a time in just a few mins.  When I need to stop the flow... Just loosen the pump and let pressure out

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Plankton on May 26, 2016, 09:17:48 AM
Ive never heard of a bucket pump before today, I'm going to see if I can find one and try it out. Sounds like the ticket.

I bought a five gallon pail of motor oil the other day and it had a breather cap built in to the lid, how long did it take them to think of that one! When I was pouring from it it didn't do the glugging where it overshoots the hole everyother splash....so nice
turn the bucket up so the spout is on top  ;)

starmac

I don't know of a 12 volt bucket gear oil pump, they do make air pumps for them. They are expensive though, so unless a guy is pumping a lot of gear oil, the hand pump would be a better option.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

teakwood

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on May 26, 2016, 11:44:22 PM
Quote from: Plankton on May 26, 2016, 09:17:48 AM

turn the bucket up so the spout is on top  ;)
Thats what i do too!  ;D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

edwin dirnbeck

Quote from: Corley5 on May 26, 2016, 08:28:11 AM
See ebay,Lincoln Gear Oil Pump,air powered

caveman

You may try a pump that screws on to the top of the oil bottle like an outboard lower unit oil pump.  They are inexpensive but will take a little time to move large quantities of oil.
Caveman
Caveman

Corley5

Quote from: edwin dirnbeck on May 31, 2016, 10:01:28 AM
Quote from: Corley5 on May 26, 2016, 08:28:11 AM
See ebay,Lincoln Gear Oil Pump,air powered

Air powered  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HiTech

I just clean out a Slime bottle and use that. Nice little tube comes with them. Slower than most want but works fine for me. If you really want to put gear lube in get an Army gear lube pump. Those babies really pump.

Plankton

Picked up a bucket pump a few days ago, Used It today. That thing is so nice! crawl under the skidder with the tube get out and pump for a few minutes axles are filled.

Only thing I don't like is I can't seem to get the last bit of oil out of the tube so when I took it off it made a mess but other then that it's perfect

treeslayer2003

Thank You Sponsors!