iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't Cut the Cord!!

Started by Magicman, May 25, 2016, 06:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I knew that she was going to cut the cord.  :-\  We have one of those electric hedge trimmers and she was trying to trim some tall Azaleas.  The problem was that the cord was hanging over the very things that she was trimming.  I was standing there begging her not to cut the cord and I don't think that she was really paying me much attention.  Well sure enough there were a few taller stickups that were just beyond her reach.  She handed me the trimmer and I cut the cord!!!   :-X

Well being the sport that I am, I went and bought her a new battery powered hedge trimmer so that she will never have to worry about the cord getting cut again.  That plus I how have a 18½' cord and a very handy 6½' cord.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

I got the two stroke version
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

starmac

Years ago we were slow at work, so the general super sent me to his house with a crew to do some work. Part of that was trimming some trees, which was chainsaw on a ladder work, so I did that part myself. Right off the bat a limb fell wrong and I swung the saw to get it away, right across their phone line Waay before cell phone days. After a while his wife came out seen the line on the ground and ask (in a huff) if I had notified her husband about it. I mentioned I was still there, so no I hadn't. She apparently was not in a good mood, and told me I needed to do something, because now she had no way to call him. I maybe mentioned that if she was a little nicer of a person, one of her neighbors would probably let her use their phone.  Apparently someone did, cuz the super was ther in minutes of her stomping out of the back yard and repaired the line. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LaneC

Been there and done that :D. They make a nice spark show right before the breaker trips :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Sixacresand

Just last week I cut the cord with an electric chain saw.  Good timing for this thread.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

sawguy21

Years ago I noticed a helper standing around doing nothing, his handsaw wouldn't work. You guessed it, he cut the cord. He didn't like piling lumber after that and quit. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

21incher

I went the other way. I had a 12v Ryobi hedge trimmer for years and when the batteries went dead, it cost less to buy a plug in one then replace the batteries. My 12v one worked great, that 40v one must be a monster. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Yup, I already have a "weed eater" that uses the same battery and it holds up very well.  Next time a go by the tool store I just might get that brushless chain saw.  I believe that it would be super for sizing stickers.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Al_Smith

The problem with cordless stuff from my perspective is the replacement batteries cost almost as much as the entire unit.

Magicman

Very true.  Often the entire package is cheaper than just a replacement battery.   :o

Well, that is exactly what you just said.  smiley_dizzy 

Bark Beetle

You ended up with two cordless tools out of the ordeal.  :D ;D
You don't work wood, you work with wood.

Magicman

:D  Yup, that is good thinking and exactly right.   :P

Hiway40frank

Back when I lived in a city my neighbor trimmed the hedges and cut a internet cable, best part was it took verizon 2 weeks to figure out what was wrong. First they traced all the lines in the house, then the mainline on the road then after 2 weeks they decided to check where the line actually went into the house. Moral of the story, stay the hell out of citys...

Kbeitz

I cut a 220volt AC line all the way through with a sawsall and the unit never quit running.
It really messed with the saw blades teeth. The wire was inside a wall.
Never even tripped the braker.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gspren

To the best of my hazy memory I never cut the cord on any of MY tools but once I was using my brothers circular saw and the cord jumped in the way so he got it back with a wad of electrical tape on the cord, it still worked but he replaced the cord and reminded me often for awhile.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Not only have I stuck two chainsaws at the same time in the same tree I've also cut the cords on two power saws 5 minutes apart making concrete forms .Something about the elevator and the shaft comes to mind .

Stuart Caruk

I bought my wife the stihl battery powered chainsaw at her request. The smaller capacity battery, but the larger one on this saw works great. She no longer has a problem starting it, and I don't have to either fix a flooded saw, or go grab a saw to cut up the windfalls around our shop. It's so handy I bought her the weedwhacker and blower to go along with it. And another couple batteries.

Sure, the tools are expensive, but they are tax deductible since they are used in a  business, and I no longer have to do a lot of work that she couldn't do because she could never start a gas powered tool. In the end, those battery powered tools are cheap.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

barbender

I just bought the Dewalt brushless 20v weed whip. I'm pretty impressed with it, though I haven't used it much. My last weed whip was very temperamental about starting, made me pretty temperamental too. I lose my patience very quickly when it is a chore to use something, for chores ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

I cut through a 220 wire with a Leatherman once. Plumber checked it with a meter, said it was dead. It wasn't. The wire cutters don't work very well any more.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Our PE550 edger threw a rod this week.  It is MD'd so I am finally out of the "Weed Eater" business. 

The "whackers" are now battery powered.

54Dutchman

Quick note on rechargeable battery packs: Batterys Plus in our area will change out the battery internal to the battery pack.  Less cost than new replacement cost.

gspren

This morning I was using the hedge trimmer and kept thinking about this thread, I did not cut the cord. 8)
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

tree-farmer

Thats one way to justify getting a new tool.....
I'll have to keep that one in mind for future reference  ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Magicman

I looked at that Ryobi 40 volt chainsaw today and came home without it.  I am still gonna get that MS170 that is on special for $159 when they come in to the dealer.

Al_Smith

Cordless stuff is handy,I have some myself .Did you notice though every 4-5 years they change the battery voltages and styles .You don't suppose they are trying to sell new models or something when the only place you can find replacements is fleabay .Sneaky rascals .

Dave Shepard

Each manufacture seems to have settled on a design, and they are sticking with it. I think people are tired of having to switch all the time.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on May 27, 2016, 09:04:19 AM
Our PE550 edger threw a rod this week.  It is MD'd so I am finally out of the "Weed Eater" business. 
Wrong.  It was not engine trouble at all.  The recoil starting mechanism was the problem.  I have a starter pulley kit, a start cam, and two start dogs ordered.  $25 and I should be back into business when they get here....hopefully.   ;D

Logger RK

Bought my Bride a Black & Decker weed wackier with 20 volt lithium batteries. Very satisfied with it. The cheap off brand gas one's weren't to reliable. I've heard Sthil makes good gas ones,but the B&D is nice & light for her.

Al_Smith

The biggest problem with gasoline weed wackers, hedge trimmers and perhaps blowers is they sit unused for 8-9 months out of the year .Then they don't want to start .

Most of my afore mentioned stuff was free simply because they would not start .Usually just a rebuild of the carb is all they need .

I'm not an advocate of pre mixed fuels with stabilizers for long term storage .I would however suggest it for folks who are less incllned to tinker with stuff like I do. Just fill like half a tank at the end of the season, run it a little and put it on the self for the winter .

Thank You Sponsors!