iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

size of Alaskan mill

Started by cliffreaves, May 24, 2016, 12:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cliffreaves

Hey everyone, you guys were extremely helpful in helping me find a 395xp to mill with.  I went ahead and purchased a 36" bar and ripping chains to mill with.  My question is, can I buy the 48" Alaskan mill but only use my 36" setup or do I have to buy the 36" mill.  On the 48" Alaskan mill description, it says for a 48" bar or smaller, so I'm guessing I can use a 36"?  Thanks again guys!

celliott

You got it. The longer mill will work with the shorter bar. It might be a bit more awkward and ungainly to handle but it'll work.

I would expect a max cut of about 30" with your setup.

I have a 36" alaskan, powered by a 395xp as well. I currently have a 32" bar and if I really stretch it, I can cut 26" wide.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

cliffreaves

Thank you celliot.  That's exactly what I was hoping you'd say.  I want to have the ability to go bigger when needed.  My father in law has some 4ft popular on his land.  I'm assuming I can go up to about 42" with a 48" Alaskan with a 48" bar.  I'm sure it'll be torturous and slow going at that size, but to have access to all that lumber cut the way I want is pretty priceless in my book. 😃

goose63

Ihave a 42 inch bar and i take the log dog's off the saw i can cut39 inch 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

PineHill4488

Cliff,

I'm using a Stihl MS 660 and a 36" bar with 36" Alaskan mill, if I remove the log dogs I can get 34" width of cut, with the log dogs I can get a 32" cut.

Greg
Fall 2013 purchased Stihl MS 660 and an Alaskan 36" mill, am happy with the setup, hobbyist not a volume producer, have milled oak, hickory, yellow pine, and power poles.

cliffreaves

Good info guys.  I've read somewhere on a post that you can't go quite as big with a husqvarna because of the bar setup.  Even with the dogs off I don't I'll get as much as your 660.

celliott

Quote from: cliffreaves on May 24, 2016, 02:49:13 PM
Good info guys.  I've read somewhere on a post that you can't go quite as big with a husqvarna because of the bar setup.  Even with the dogs off I don't I'll get as much as you 660.

Must be, for some reason. My 26'' cut w\32'' bar is with the bucking spikes removed, and stretching the front clamp as far as I can on the sprocket nose of the bar.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

cliffreaves

I'm going with the 48" panther 2 mill.  The price was definitely right for me and it looks like a solid little mill. Anyone here use one?

Savannahdan

I have a 30" granberg csm and have thought about purchasing the bars to extend it.  I like what Panther offers and may just get a larger mill from them.  Their prices look good and they have quite a few options.  I also need to look for a larger chainsaw.  The old Makita has been good but strains with the csm jobs.
Thanks.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

opticsguy

These Panther and other manufacturer mills look interesting however, the BIG cost is in purchasing a saw to run on these mills.  Already have a band saw mill, limited to 29" cut.  I often come up with much larger trees, 44" to 56"  and would love to cut these into slabs.  Big problem for me, just a hobby and what to do with all the slabs. I do not sell anything, at least not yet and really do not want to get into "the business" aspect.  Not really a question here, just commenting and thinking.......................
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

cliffreaves

Yeah, if you've got a good band mill, then you're set.  I only went the chainsaw route due to cost.  I found a 395 for $510 and the 48"mill is just $189.  Even with all the other little things, i.e. can't hook, hand winch, chaps, helmet, bars & chains, I'm still at $1000 for everything.  That's hard to beat. The tables I build go for $500 - $2000 each and with 1 30" inch tree, I can build at least 3 6-8ft tables ($1000-$1500 per). 1 tree and a lot of hard work, and I'm making money.  😁.
PS - I'm gonna have to wait 2yrs for the 2" slabs to dry.  😥

Thank You Sponsors!