iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Polishing a jointer table?

Started by Rusticcreations, May 23, 2016, 01:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

So would it help to polish my planers tables with a wax or something to help keep it clean, non rusty, and possibly make it easier when sliding the boards across it?

Larry

I wax all cast iron tables with Johnson paste wax on a regular basis.  Only been using it now for some 50 years.  I weakened a few times and tried the various concoctions that come in spray cans.  Also tried paraffin cut way down with mineral spirits.  Always came back to Johnson's.

If I have a setup on the shaper that I don't want to break down to apply more wax I'll either give it a quick smear with a paraffin block or sprinkle baby powder on the table.  The baby powder works well at providing slip, but doesn't last long and won't prevent rust.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

elk42

Larry
  I keep several cans all the time one can with hole in to fit acid brush and use on drills, taps and
dies and jig saw blades cutting metal.  And list goes on and on.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Kbeitz

Useing it on drills ?
Wow... Gotta try it. I use drill wax crayons.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

I also have settled on Johnsons paste wax for the tops. The formula  from 30 years ago works much better then what is available today. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

btulloh

Bostik Top-cote works well and is made specifically for the purpose.  It holds up better than wax, plus wax can jump onto the wood surface and cause problems in your finish.  There's a companion product called Blade-cote which works well on blades and router bits etc.  Blade-cote really helps with pitch buildup on cutting edges.

HM126

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

btulloh

That looks like good stuff, WDH.  I think I better try it. 
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!