DON"T FORGET TO VOTE

Started by moosehunter, November 02, 2004, 03:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Corley5

My son Zach and I are going to vote as soon as he finishes breakfast.  Think they'll let a 2 1/2 year old vote ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

Tammy and I just got back. We did good. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OneWithWood

Did my duty.  The folks around here take voting seriously.  At 6am there were already 30 people lined up outside the firehouse door in cold pouring rain.  This is about the only time of year we see some of them :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

They said there was a line up at our voting place too before the polls opened. They were still busy (for our area) when we got there, but we only waited about 5 minutes to get to the booth.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Larry

My Right

My Obligation

And I exercise it every chance I get.
[/i][/size][/color]

The crowd at our polling place was horrendous this morning.  All three registered voters in the precinct decided to show up at the same time. ;D ;D

At least were smart enough to not have hanging chad problems.  Notice they even had a lot of extra pencils to mark our ballots with to. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ScottAR

I went this morning,  no lines no problems.... in and gone inside of five minutes...  I love small towns...  

Remember, vote early and often...   :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Norm

I voted last month via absentee ballot.

My youngest son called last week and said he was filling out his, first time he's voted for president. I couldn't be prouder. :)

junkyard

Dad went to France in ww1. He came back 80% disabled, he paid for my right to vote and I use my right. All 4 of his boys voulenteered for the service not during wartime but. Vote someone paid the price to give you the right.  
                       Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Paschale

Already done did it...I always feel this strange sense of civic pride everytime I have a chance to vote.  It's still a remarkable thing that every four years, a country can decide it's future.  I'm pretty grateful to be living here!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Bro. Noble

I about got kicked out of the polling place.  I knew everyone there except one of the poll judges.  He got on to me when I asked another judge how to spell a name.

We got a crackpot neighbor that put a full page ad in the paper asking people to write her name in for sheriff.

When I called out of the voting booth to one of the other judges asking how to spell her name,  everyone about cracked up except that stranger judge.  The only democrats in the area are newcomers so they have a hard time getting poll judges.

milking and logging and sawing and milking

ohsoloco

First time I've voted...proudly wearing my "I voted" sticker on my work uniform   :)

beenthere

Bro Noble
Had a similar experience just a few minutes ago when I went to vote. I usually josh with the ladies that have been at the tables writing our names down for many years. This year there was a guy standing almost at attention on one side of the room. I thought he would speak to me when I came in. He didn't. I kidded with one of the ladies and she said something back, and I answered I had just turned "Rush Limbaugh" off. Now one could take that as either I support him, or I won't listen to him. She quickly answered "Don't say anything about who he supports in here", as that was an election monitor standing there. I looked him in the eye and smiled, and at least got a small grin back.  Made me nervous. First time ever that we had someone in the hall during voting.

But I wouldn't want to have people saying who they were voting for, so I am glad I didn't say any more, and thought that the next time I go I will be completely quiet. (Something hard for me to do  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I did my do this morning also but am ashamed to say that other than presidential candidates I didn't have a clue on who was who. Mostly voted libertarian if I didn't know who. I really would like to see a viable third party in this country to shake up the status quo. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Patty

I voted about a month ago, by absentee ballot. Our son in Germany said they voted last month also, to insure the votes would arrive in the states by today. One would think in this day and age our servicemen could vote on line somehow, rather than by paper ballot.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

Lee
To me, a third party is why we got Clinton, thanks to Perot, and is why the Dems fought so hard to keep Nader off the ballot this time because he would help Bush get in. I don't think it is a good idea and its why the primary run-off is done to get the candidates down to one per party of two.
But just the way I look at it. Three is a crowd no matter what you are doing, IMO.
We still have the best system in the world, and hopefully we can protect it and keep it the best. I would like to see a better job done to register voters and limit votes to one per qualified person and also that they at least be alive on election day.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WoodSmith

Voted a week an half ago, here in Oregon we do mail in ballots works really nice to vote in the leisure of your own home then just send er in the mail or drop off at the court house.
It will be real interesting to see how it all turns out.
Hows everyone back east?

breederman

No line in the big town this morning.I was number 48. We have had the same poll watchers I think since I was 18 but there were several different folks around today.Musta been expecting a crowd. :)
Together we got this !

shopteacher

Just got back.  Couldn't find the guy's name I wanted to vote for then found out he's still in jail. :o  So I had to vote for one of them other two characters whose been filling up my TV screen for the last month. :D
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

DonE911

went the absentee route....  but my .02 are in for the counting!!

WH_Conley

Got to vote. Figure if you don't vote you don't have a right to gripe. Vote every chance I get.
Bill

Corley5

Zach and I voted just before 2PM without any waiting.  I guess there had been earlier.  I meant to pay attention to what # I was but forgot.  There was one of them poll watcher people in our townhall today.  That's the first time I've ever seen one of them around here and I guess, no I know that I didn't much like it.  She was just standing there with a clipboard looking serious ::)  I just a heard on the local news that Garfield Township down by Traverse City had had a 70% turnout by 6PM  :o 8)  I hope we have a clearcut winner tonight no matter who it may be so this doesn't get drug throught the courts like last time.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frickman

Went down to the schoolhouse at 7:00 AM, opening time, as usual. Couldn't even find a parking space except in the field out front. Waited half an hour in line to vote, but I'm not complaining. This was the most people I've ever seen at election time.

Now something happens around here at election time that I've never seen anywhwere else. Every local politician or wanna be is out there shaking hands, kissing babies, and shoving bumper stickers and pins at you. Right at the door to the polling place. Not for for national candidates either, but for every constable and dog catcher we elect. I always thought they were to stay a certain distance away and not interfere with you enetering the polls. Around here you have to fight your way through them to get in. Does this happen in other parts of the country too?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Buzz-sawyer

By far the largest turn out I have ever seen round here!!!!!
I am very rural, and cars parked along the corn fields fightin to get in........some passion in this elction......... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

bighoss550

today i voted for the first time in my life. i actually never cared before, but this time i did!!!!!!!  easiest thing ive ever done! in and out in less than 5 minutes! cool. and i sure feel good about it! everyone should vote.

DanG

Went to the Gretna, Fla City Hall to vote this morning. Everything was amicable, with the usual banter between voters and poll workers.  There were a handful of demonstrators out by the road, all lobbying for their favorite local candidates...none for the national hopefuls. There was one stranger out there, with a little desk set up outside under the shade of a young pine tree. He came inside once, while I was there, then went back to his post.

The down side of it all, is the fact that I got about 20 phone calls today. >:(  Most of them were recorded messages with the voices of prominent people. >:( >:(   ALL of them were sponsored by the Democratic Party or the Kerry campaign. >:( >:( >:( >:(    That tells me that those folks don't respect me, my rights, or my intelligence.  I don't appreciate that. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(   I am strongly in favor of a law against placing random calls with a recorded message!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

QuoteI always thought they were to stay a certain distance away
im pretty sure its 100' from polling place.

i know what you mean with them DanG phone recordings, and theyre all from the left, ive been getting them for the last week!

anyone know when the polls closed in the states that have allready been recorded? IN, KY, WV, GA  and VT
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Bruce_A

For the last week I have been getting those recorded calls from both parties. I voted before the calls and don't like them at all.

wiam

pigman

Ky polls close a 6 pm. half of state in eastern time zone, half in central time zone.  8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Phorester

VA polling places open from 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM.  

All pol-e-tickers have to stay back 50 feet from the polling place entrance.

The ladies writing names were not at all friendly today, as they have been in all other elections.  Very serious, as were all the other people helping.

Paschale

Quote There was one of them poll watcher people in our townhall today.  That's the first time I've ever seen one of them around here and I guess, no I know that I didn't much like it.  She was just standing there with a clipboard looking serious ::)

I think there was one of those at my place to.  It bugged me--she was just standing there, behind the poll workers, watching the proceedings.  I wanted to ask her, "who are you?"  There's something fishy about people who are supposedly watching over the proceedings, as if they're protecting our rights to vote.  No one asked her to do that for us, except whatever candidate she happens to support.  I trust the little old ladies who are always working the polls much more than that crotchety old busybody back there with her clip board!   >:(  
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

LeeB

Beenthere,
                I agree that we have the best system in the world. My point is that I don't care for either of the two major canidates and would like to have a third and viable choice. I get real tired of hearing the same old bs from the two parties. I just would like to see politics be good for the people and not just the politicians. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Wenrich

Our lines were pretty average for a major election.  My line was about 5 minutes.  There were lines that were as long as 5 hours.

There was no electioneering at the polls.  I think the 100' distance is about right.  A couple of years ago, we had a twp commissioner who based his whole race by talking to people at the polling place.  He won.

Phone calls only came from the Republicans.  I never listened to any of them.  

The third party got a leg up this year because the Democrats didn't run anyone.  If you look through your state rolls, you would be surprised to see how many row offices are held by third party members.  That's the only way there will be an effective move for a 3rd party.  Perot could have done it, but blew it with Buchannon.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Minnesota_boy

Having a 3 party system or even more parties sounds great until you see the results.  Check out Italy for a multi-party system or Canada for a 3 party.   Learn what gets done or not done when the leader of the nation has less than a majority vote for them.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DanG

Ron, I think it's interesting that all of your calls came from the Republicans. We got a few from them over the course of the last few weeks, but ALL of yesterday's flood were from the Dems. I suppose it has to do with what state you're in and how the parties think they will fare there. ???

I got at least 4 calls from Bill Clinton. I made a rude comment, and hung up each time. Perhaps the nature of my comment is what kept him calling back. ??? ::) :D :D :D :D

A while back, I mentioned a "voter initiative" on our ballot that would limit the percentage a lawyer could recieve in a successful suit. It appears to have passed, but only applies to cases involving medical issues. It will be interesting to see what effect it has. Maybe we will see less "ambulance chaser" ads on tv, now. ;D  The opponents of the measure(lawyers  ::)) said it would give doctors a free pass to butcher people, but 2 more initiatives passed, that will crack down on them, too. One of them opens up a doctor's record of complaints to the public, and the other is a "three strikes and you're out" rule, where a doc loses his license after 3 malpractice convictions.  We may end up with a shortage of doctors AND lawyers in this state, before long.

My son is practicing law in Ft. Lauderdale, and his firm specializes in defending lawsuits, mostly for the insurance companies. I'll have the inside track on what effect the initiatives end up having. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

redpowerd

DanG, youre lucky, i would LOVE to "talk" with bill clinton. ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

raycon

Around here its been nothing but republican calls.
Unplugged the phone at 10pm Monday so the kids would not be disturbed while sleeping. Four years from now it'll probably be some new technology like a talking appliance ...did you vote yet....did you vote yet...did you vote yet.
Lot of stuff..

Ron Wenrich

I don't know if they have any idea of party affiliation when they make those calls.  I'm a registered independent, so, it that were true, I would expect calls from both sides.  

I heard of one guy who got 84 calls in one week.  Unplugging the phone also works as a deterrent.  I'm sure glad the politicians exempted themselves from the do-not-call list.

As for the malpractice, our state has disallowed lawsuits out of the locale in which the infraction occured.  Philadelphia was known for higher settlements, so lots of lawyers would start the suit there.  But, that can't happen anymore.

I don't like the preferential treatment that one profession gets over the other.  If a $250,000 cap is good enough for a doctor, why doesn't it apply to the drunk driver, truck driver or anyone else that causes damages?  

Our state has been targeted for those high doctor's premiums.  One of the reasons they are so high is because they don't police their ranks.  Bad doctors continue to practice.  They get sued, and their rates go up.  

I heard one comment made that maybe we should be looking into insurance reform instead of tort reform.  The insurance companies don't need to go to anyone to justify the increase in rates.  And when you don't have very many insurance companies writing business, they do what ever they want.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

DanG

Ron, I have no clue why this new law only applies to medical cases. ???  It does not put a cap on the awards, merely caps the percentage the lawyer can get. IMHO, it was sorely needed. There have been cases where the plaintiff ended up in the hole, after taxes. You see, due to a glitch in the tax laws  ??? ::), if a plaintiff wins more than $1million, he has to pay income taxes on the entire amount, and the legal fees are not deductible. :o  Commonly, the lawyers take 70%, and the taxes on $1million is 38%. That means the lawyer gets $700,000, and the aggrieved individual gets $300,000, but his tax liability is $380,000.  Hardly any litigants are aware of this until it hits them squarely between the left back pocket and the right back pocket! :o  With this new plan, the lawyer can only take 30% of the first $250,000, and 10% of everything over that.  It seems a whole lot more fair, to me. :)  I agree that it should apply to all lawsuits, and not just to medical cases.

The other two initiatives remove the doctor's responsibility to police themselves.  The State is gonna do it for them. ;D

I don't think the calls had anything to do with the "victim's" affiliation. Our phone is listed in my wife's name, and she is registered as NPA(No Party Affiliation).  We got a few calls from the GOP in the past few weeks, but only from the Dems on the final day. It seems to be a geographical call.  Those statisticians seem to think they can control everything by studying the demographics, but they always fail to take into account human intelligence.

I'm a little frustrated with the political commentators who say that Bush won in spite of his economic policy. They seem to ignore the possibility that some of us AGREE with his economic policy. Apparently, a lot of us do.

Furby

I went in at 12:45PM, only took 5 min. and I was #352.
I think there was a "poll watcher" there, but lunch had just arrived, so I don't know which one it was.  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!