iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large tulip poplars

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 20, 2016, 08:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I know lots of you guys cut and mill some really big trees but I got an order for 1600 bf of poplar. Most of the lumber is to be 12" wide so I needed some big logs. I was planning on cutting 4 trees but after cutting and bucking the first 2 trees into 8, 12 & 16 ft lengths per the order I measured them today and calculate using Int'l 1/4 scale I have over 2600 bf so far so I stopped cutting for the time being. I expect I will salvage a few hundred bf more out of the tops before I am done plus the normal overrun from using a thinner kerf. I also cut a small maple with a broken top which yielded a 17' log 12" id at the little end when clearing the path. It will give me 100 bf or more 4/4 boards I am sure.

I have a man coming in Tuesday with 2 Belgian mules to drag my logs out. I am excited to try that and my wife is anxious to photograph the whole exercise. I'll try to post some good shots of that.

These are much bigger trees than I usually cut. I have a few more up the holler to thin if this works with the mules as expected and I get orders for the wood. My problem before has been getting the logs down with my undersized support equipment.

I am scared every time I cut these big (for me) trees. Nearly got my 4 wheeler with the last one I cut (Yeah - pretty obvious now I should have parked it further down the trail). It did put a bend in my Logrite (Sorry Tammy - I know I promised to take care of it when you sold it to me) when the second tree landed on it, a limb/top put a nice dent in my 4 wheeler basket at the same time and thought I was going to lose my Sthil 441 with the first one but fortunately it cleared it when it bounced off the stump.

Anyway it amazed me to find that many bf in my trees. I have some bigger but some I'd have to split with chainssaw to fit on my mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Dave Shepard

We have a little tulip around here. I like sawing it, but don't get much if it. What is a Belgian mule?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 21, 2016, 07:42:30 AM
We have a little tulip around here. I like sawing it, but don't get much if it. What is a Belgian mule?
Dave,

Mama was a Belgian horse. Daddy was a donkey. Very big mules.

Successful mating requires digging a pit for the mare to stand in or building a platform for the donkey to stand on. Sort of like crossing a dachshund and a Great Dane.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Upper

Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

starmac

I would think a breeder using belgiam mares for mules would have a mammoth jack stud.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Magicman

Don't worry, that donkey stallion thinks that he is.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Upper

A Mammoth Jack is just a big donkey that likes a little junk in the trunk........... :-X
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

grouch

When do we get pictures? I want to see the trees, the logs, the mules at work, and sawdust.

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

Find something to do that interests you.

WV Sawmiller

Grouch,

As I mentioned in original post the guy comes with his mules on Tuesday so hopefully I can post some decent pix that evening.
Howard Green

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

rjwoelk

My dad worked for a rancher north of Swift current sask. They raised mules, they used the ramp and a box for the mare. Dad said that that stud donkey would come at at a dead run when they let him out. ;D

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

rj,

Thanks for your verification of the process. I was crushed because I think upper had some doubts about my credibility for a bit there. (As you can tell I am real sensitive like that. :D :D)

My mule raising neighbors have just taken a backhoe and dug out a quick narrow pit 2-3 ft deep for the mare with the same results.
Howard Green

Upper

Sorry WV,my first post was all that was left of an edit,thats all.But I will teel you I was a world champion Mule Packer back in 1978,Bishop Ca...Had a mammoth Jack that I bred mares with.
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

WV Sawmiller

Upper,

No offense taken. I have a 600 lb mule (likely a pony mule) I bought my wife for our 20 year wedding anniversary present. We also have a half Belgian/half walking horse we got several years later. I never knew mules were so social till we got the horse. The mule goes crazy if separated from the horse now. The horse acts like he couldn't care less. The mule is smarter than the horse.

I have seen a few big jacks but they are not common around here.

I am excited to watch this teamster logging my place with his mules. These logs look awful big to me for an animal to tow. I've heard old timers say well trained horse/mules worked pretty much alone. Guy in the woods would hook them up and send them alone. Helper at the landing would unhook, put the chains on the hames and send them back and the animals made the trek all day long by themselves. Even had a Gee hook that would do a quick disconnect if they yelled Gee and the animal stepped to the right. On the steep slopes if the log started sliding and the animal felt slack they would automatically step to the right to keep from getting a broken leg or such.
Howard Green

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Weekend_Sawyer

We finished the interior of our cabin with tulip poplar, I like it a lot!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!