iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much...

Started by sigidi, November 01, 2004, 08:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

cleaning up do you do after sawing up a log?

Just had my first pine tree (slash I think it was?) was given to me, just had to get it dropped, got out 47 3x1.5" sticks all between 12' and 10' long (here we use 3x1.5" or 70x35 for pine wall framing) the milling was terrific the handling of the logs was slow as I am moving logs manually with can't hook on the side of a hill! ::).

Anyways stop raving on says Wifey - my question is I got there at 0930 this morning, did half an hour of milling and got home at 1300, the rest of the time was taken up in packing up the mill, loading the timber and cleaning up the site. How far do you guys go?

I left the sawdust, but made a pile of all branches, offcuts, unsuitable logs/branches bucked to one foot pieces and also the mill offcuts.

Is this too much to be doing for a free log?
Is it too much to do on a custom job?
I think I should clean the mess I make, but Wifey says you have to charge more if your doing that much cleaning up.

What are the seasoned thoughts?
Always willing to help - Allan

iain

we do a spotless job at our mill site and what ever is required any where else
but most people dont want to pay for tidy ups there own labour being cheaper to them :D

iain

sigidi

Hey Iain,

what kinda sawing do you do in England? we lived there for 10 yrs and was wondering if there is much call for milling?

Do you say to customers clean up past x amount of time is x amount of quid/dollars?

Fla._Deadheader

If'n it were me, I wood let the "Wifey" do ALL customer negotiations and I wood do the cutting. Sounds like yer honey has your game all figgered out.  ;) ;)

Getting a paycheck from her MAY require some further negotiation.  ;) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

I am a little pickier with the sitework on a free log than I am with a custom job.  It is hard enough to get the free logs, and when you leave with the good stuff and leave a mess, your chances are not as good for another.  In a custom job, by contract it is agreed that everything done for sitework including moving logs, cleaning or delimbing, removing metal, is subject to an hourly rate.

Captain

Tom

I have been in both situations.  I have been given free logs and left the tops and slabs, only taking what I wanted from the tree and got out of the way.  Usually a contractor or the city is envolved in those jobs and I am doing them a favor by taking the "bulk".  They will sometimes even help me load the lumber. to get me out of there.

If it is a private individual who is trying to save money, I will help clean up if they are cleaning up.  I will have told them up front that I leave a mess, so I don't worry about sawdust.  I will cut slabs and trimmings to sizes acceptable to city trash crews. Sometimes I'll help with the tops and limbs.  

It depends on the people too.  If it is a little old couple that can't fend for themselves, I will do the work even if it costs me money.  If it is a young,  healthy, worhless, yuppee that stands in the living room and watches his "labor" clean  his yard while he sips on a martini, I'll not be bothered with anything but packing up and going home.

rvrdivr

Tom, it sounds as if you've experienced a few of those yuppee types before :D

Sigidi, I've not had much eperience with this situation, but the few times I was told I could have a free tree, I made sure the owners understood I could do nothing with the stump and I was leaving the limps. Also on a recent venture, I made sure to let the owner know I would have to drive through his yard to get the tree and there maybe tracks or rutts left. With everything up front, there should be no proplems. Everyone so far was happy that I came for free to get the bulk of the tree, and I was happy to get it. :)

Good luck.

sigidi

Fla, yeah too right mate - gettin $'s back from the Minister of Home Affairs is pretty difficult :D ;D

Captain, too true free ones require a little more work me thinks, though Wifey says should get them to pay for felling - $50 a single tree.

Tom, it sounds like I'm a little like you on some things, in the interest of helping out folkes I'm always getting in trouble for going past what would be profitable. As ever, always giving the good oil for those of us willing to listen               So you are saying don't hang around unless they offer some of that Martini? ;)

Rvrdivr, yep , communication - I'm hearing ya, I guess if I explain before I start then if there is an issue, we can arrage things rather than be hit with it down the track.

I guess all these things will become second nature once I get more into it, but just don't want to make mistakes which hurt my business.

customsawyer

I am in agreement with the Captain in that I do all that the customer wants to pay for.  
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!