iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Casket Lumber

Started by Horselog, May 18, 2016, 01:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I'm trying to identify some more buyers for the lower grade lumber coming out of our grade operation.  There is of course the flooring and pallet markets, and to a lesser extent barn boards sold locally. I had heard about casket lumber as a good market, but haven't been able to find where to inquire about it. Does anyone know who to contact? Or at least the name of a company that buys it? Any info would be appreciated.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Magicman

You can try these folks; Batesville Casket Co.  A Google search will probably find more.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ron Wenrich

We sent to York Casket in York, PA.  Generally what they are looking for is a sound back select.  The minimum length is 7' and the minimum width is 5".  They are not interested in wood that is between 9'-13'.  They need a clear cutting of 5"x 7' which they use for lids and sides.  They take random width, just nothing under 5".  They're a bit more lenient on walnut. 

We graded out our lumber and sold them a good deal that upgraded our lumber.  We could sell them a narrow board that would normally go for 1 Com or a nice face and a 2 Com back that would go for 2 Com.  They're a step above flooring grade material.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

schmism

Quote from: Magicman on May 18, 2016, 02:56:40 PM
You can try these folks; Batesville Casket Co.  A Google search will probably find more.

Had a family friend that was a high ranking engineer there for a bunch of years.  Retired now.  But 10-15 years ago i got a indepth tour of the plant several times.

At that time they were buying random width s2s (surface 2 sides) that was kiln dried.   They had there own process/breakdown machines to process the lumber down into pieces they used.   (cut out knots, finger joint back together)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Kbeitz

Hey now.... I want the best of the best for my casket...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

plowboyswr

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 18, 2016, 05:38:53 PM
Then you better get busy cutting and building it! :D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Kbeitz

Quote from: plowboyswr on May 18, 2016, 06:21:26 PM
Don't think that i haven't given that some thought.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WH_Conley

I told our local undertaker, nice guy, that I was bringing my own box, that he was to high.
Bill

goose63

Quote from: plowboyswr on May 18, 2016, 06:21:26 PM

Wife said no box for me she is going to use all my scrape wood and give me a vicking send off right here in the back yard :-\
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

shortlogger

I built my dads , he wanted a simple but well built pine box and that's what he got . Made it out of rough cut 1x15's . A lot of people really liked it, I had  3 different people ask me to build them one after the funeral.
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Horselog

Have you sold to them, or dealt with them in any way?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Sixacresand

Sign reportedly seen on a casket manufacturers truck:  "Drive carefully or yours may be on this load"
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WH_Conley on May 18, 2016, 06:55:48 PM
I told our local undertaker, nice guy, that I was bringing my own box, that he was to high.
Already built mine. Using it as a tool box for now.....  :D

Ron Wenrich

We always said that people were dying for our lumber.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Magicman

Quote from: Horselog on May 19, 2016, 07:48:21 AM

Have you sold to them, or dealt with them in any way?
No, I don't sell lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scleigh

since the casket will be inside of a vault, are there any regulations or laws as to the materials or construction required? I know many have said here before that they had built their own, but I always wondered if it was legal. I may build one for myself one day. Anyone else?

shortlogger

Depends on the state you live in . In Arkansas you don't need a vault and can use anything you want for a casket . But some states are have much more restrictive regulations .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

LeeB

I told my family they are free to buy my casket from Hefty or Glad. It won't make any difference to me. I surely won't be in a position to complain.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Engineer

Spent my whole career so far as a civil engineer, specializing in water and sewer projects.  Told my wife I wanted to be buried in a manhole, with a custom engraved steel lid for my "stone" and welded shut.  She was not amused.

qbilder

My dad wants his made from sassafras so it'll hide his stink.
God bless our troops

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Make sure, if you build your own, that everyone (spouse and kids) know, as the funeral home will talk about air tight seals on a casket and the vault, and how yours does not have that, which means that..., etc.  Some play on the emotions of the family.  Also, if a vault is required in the cemetery or by state law, make sure your homemade casket will fit inside the vault.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Kbeitz

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on May 22, 2016, 01:52:56 PM
Make sure, if you build your own, that everyone (spouse and kids) know, as the funeral home will talk about air tight seals on a casket and the vault, and how yours does not have that, which means that..., etc.  Some play on the emotions of the family.  Also, if a vault is required in the cemetery or by state law, make sure your homemade casket will fit inside the vault.

Thanks for the info...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

never finished

Make sure the sides are flush with the bottom. Funeral director said it will be a bumpy ride in and out of the coach other wise. If I'm not mistaking federal laws make it possible to use your own.

LeeB

And they know it's bumpy because somebody complained?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

shortlogger

We're kinda old fashioned or backwards depends on how you see it but we use a pickup truck instead of a hearse and the pallbearers lower the casket by hand with ropes  then the family hand covers the grave .

Thank You Sponsors!