iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

Quote from: Crusarius on October 09, 2017, 09:16:45 AM
Larry what did you use for a fuel tank? that looks just like something I was thinking about doing. Yesterday when working on my sawmill I thought that would be the perfect spot for it to.
It is a 6 gal boat fuel tank. I pick it up at Walmart

47sawdust

I had a bucket hanging off my Lt30 for quite a while.I found it to be a nuisance,slowed down what passes for production here.Now I let it fly and clean it up with the bucket on the tractor.Not a criticism,just personal experience.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

larrydown60

I got sick of the belt flying off so I built these today I hope they work once I got these bolted on they are closer than they look in the photos I will find out tomorrow in the daylight. Did I say how much I hate the early dark nights

larrydown60

larrydown60

Here is A load of wood I got today And another load to get Tues or Wed and a second video of the log loader with a longer log I couldn't center it on the mill because I had a couple hundred board ft sitting on the end of the mill and couldn't move the head back all the way so the log just cleared the blade covers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3b8IXuq8qQ

Ljohnsaw

Looks good!  A simple fix will help a lot with off center or odd log loading.  Use a V shaped cable.  Run a cable from a few feet on each side of your winch and hook the middle to the winch cable.  The two cables will load the log evenly.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

larrydown60

gww

Thanks for the vidio, very nice.
gww

larrydown60

Log Loader fail back to the drawing board I am going to weld a 2" x 4" x 1/4 in the place of the 2 x 2 

Ljohnsaw

ouch :-\

Since the bottom cable does not move, it should be attached as low as possible when hauling the log up on the mill.  As it is, it is pulling on the arm when it doesn't need to.  You could even attach it to the winch tower below the rail height.

Also, the height of the winch only needs to be high enough for the cable to clear the far rail when the log is on the ground.  You might think about making a truss with the tower.  Place a 6 to 8" or so piece of 2x2 as a strut on the back side half way up.  Then run a strap from top to bottom over the strut.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

Does the winch stay in place all the time or only when you are loading?

The cable could be from the winch around the log and back to the bed instead of the tower.

If the winch does not stay in place all the time just add a brace from the winch to the bed. Or add a removeable gusset. I would not feel bad at all about removable gusset and continue to use that setup. As long as you connect the cable to the bed instead of the tower.

larrydown60

I went to the local welding shop today showed the pictures of what happened and we went outside to the scrap pile and they fixed me up with a 3" x 6" x 3/8 tube and said this one won't bend LOL it is a heavy piece I also trimed all the knots off the log should load a little easier now. Crusarius the loader is removeable and I can load from either side of the mill I will have it all welded and back together in the morning.

Crusarius

are you going to be able to remove it and lift it now? :)

larrydown60

Crusarius I don't know  ??? I will have to put grade 8 bolts on the winch now LOL

gww

With that log, you are going to get to check the brake on the winch if you have to stop and straiten the log while going up.  My little winch would pull it but if I stopped it would back down the ramps.
Cheers
gww

larrydown60

I won today I finally got that big log loaded after rebuilding the log loader I used 3" x 6" x 3/8 tube with 2" x1/2 flat stock for the gusset supports and it worked flawlessly. I think I could pull my truck up those ramps

gww

larrydown60

gww I forgot to mention I did stop this log 3/4 of the way up the ramps and the winch held it

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gww

larry
I am surprized cause yours does not look that much differrent then mine and my angle of attack is deffinatly not as steep.
Sounds great and I am jelous of you machine.  I am not jelouse of how long it took to build though ;D.
Cheers
gww

larrydown60

Quote from: thecfarm on October 19, 2017, 09:19:26 PM
Next problem.
They are getting fewer everyday Learning as I go.I wish I had spent some time around a saw mill be fore building one I could have saved a lot of time redoing things. gww I had a very limited budget every month and a few surgeries The last few months I have neglected my truck repairs to finish the mill. Snow is coming soon time to repair truck for the snowplowing.

larrydown60

A little update I am able to cut 8"wide pine 1/8 thick x 8'long but the other day I put a new blade on and I could not cut straight to save my life every cut dove badly after 6" into a cut. Long story short 6 hrs later and after rechecking everything and walking away from the sawmill for the night, the next morning I changed the blade again and it was back to cutting straight again. The blade was the problem brand new out of the box. My lumber pile is slowly growing and all the scrap is too LOL

thecfarm

My OWB would like the scraps. Hard to burn that stuff in a wood stove. Kinda have to mix it in. Takes a while to get rid of a pile.
Glad to hear it was the blade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Check your set. Sounds like you need more.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Scrap is a problem for me. I can't give it away most of the time. But, I do have a buddy coming this weekend to get a few loads of oak for firewood. We will NOT burn any pine in the fireplace. :o

Thank You Sponsors!