iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

5quarter,I am just trying to get everything running good. I don't want to look any more foolish than I already do when I get to a job.I would hate to have a break down on my first job,when I go to someone's place the mill will be the best it can be. I have been cutting in my backyard to get all the little quirks out. I think I might have them really soon.I have quite the audience when I am sawing, a lot of the neighbors come over to watch it work LOL After 2 years of grinding and banging in the backyard they probably glad to hear it run. LOL I know I have enough parts to repair anything that goes wrong or breaks been ordering extras all along the build I might even try to get a video of it working by the weekend :)

larrydown60

After a little more testing I think I have the saw mill cutting very good Started on a spalted maple log tonight but it got dark way too early again,got one very nice looking slab 27" at the widest part by 4' long. Tried the ramps out to night using a strap and my truck The ramps weren't too steep for my truck to slide them on the mill LOL will pick up a winch on pay day video coming tomorrow. I cant rember 7 degree blades for pine and 10 degree blades for hardwood? Or do I have it backwards

fishfighter

larrydown60

Quote from: fishfighter on September 24, 2017, 07:53:01 AM
I use 7 degree for everything. ;D
I tried the 7 degree blade on the maple And the 10 degree seemed to cut faster and smoother I have some cherry logs to cut next week I will give the 7 degree another chance Pics of the spalted maple I cut up today with 10 degree and a few of the cherry I am going to cut next week. Sorry everyone I went get a video today and the camera baterry was dead I guess it sat in the truck to long waiting to get a video  LOL

larrydown60

I should have the winch - loader all done tomorrow. Yesterday I messed around loading this monster on the saw mill with my truck and forgot to put the log stops up and rolled it off the other side of the mill LOL After a lot of bad words and messing around I finally got it back on the mill :-\ Before the next log goes on the mill I will have the winch hooked up  this one is 27" x 7' and heavy

grouch

That thing has warts and could hurt your shins.
Should make some pretty boards.
Find something to do that interests you.

larrydown60

Ok I finally got my winch installed on the log loader I hope it makes loading easier ???

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Larry, one thing to remember, the dryer the log, the harder it is to saw. That is why the 10 degree blades are sawing a bit faster. When you get fresh fell logs, you will be a happy camper. ;D

grouch

That first picture messed with my head -- I was trying to figure out why you'd stand a log on end to load it.
Find something to do that interests you.

JRWoodchuck

I have a winch set up that is quite similar. I put a port on both sides just incase I needed to load a log from either side. Turns out it comes in handy!
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

larrydown60

JRWoodchuck I can easily switch sides with mine just need to weld some more pockets on the other side for the ramps Sometimes I can use my head for more than a hat rack LOL

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: grouch on October 01, 2017, 12:37:36 PM
That first picture messed with my head -- I was trying to figure out why you'd stand a log on end to load it.
To slice cookies off of the bottom of course.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

larrydown60

OK here it goes made a small video today, hopefully it works on here I sawed 3 - 1 x 12 in the video and a couple of short shots of what some of the options are I still have to hook up the drive motor and speed controler and a few other odds and ends but it saws very good and straight  :embarassed: sorry it took so long to get a video for you all. Enjoy it I will post more of cutting and post when it is all painted  finished up. If you see anything I can improve feel free to let me know thanks for everyone's input
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfjEoufpaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9feNgIOECo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yry5PnEzCVY

fishfighter

Looking at the first video, when rolling backwards, it looks like your blade is making full contact with the cant. If so, there is a good chance you might throw the blade.

Magicman

That sawmill is very professionally built Sir.  Your efforts will be rewarded with much high quality sawn lumber.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

Larry
I waited two years for this and now that I have finally seen it, it embarrasses me so much I want to take my pictures of mine down so no one can see how much worse it is than yours.  Very nice.

Did you load that log with you new log loader or is that the big one that was already sitting on the mill?  Just curious of how the loading is going?

Verry nice
gww

larrydown60

Thank you everyone without your help, ideas, pics and prodding I probably never would have finished this project it has been fun and aggravating all at the same time. I will keep posting upgrades, because every day that I use it I find minor things that need improvement. Fishfighter I was was not raising the blade I was seeing if everything was staying straight when I was cutting, it was. I normally raise the head when dragging the head back. gww I did use the winch to get that log up there It took about 2 mins total and I did not even break a sweat. LOL The winch is a cheap harbor frieght 2500 lb 73.00 I got the extended warranty all total out the door was 125.00 the nice thing about the winch is that it came with a remote I can stand on the loadinding side away from the winch and straighten the log as needed when loading I will shoot a video of it loading as soon as I get more logs. I cut everything I had laying around. LOL over the winter I am collecting hydraulic parts for the next phase loader ,turner and ?

JRWoodchuck

I would say toe rollers. When milling long stuff they are real handy for getting the log exactly where you want it. Mine are manual and my mill can cut 18' 2" with rollers I can put and 18'2" log on there and get it perfectly where I need it.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

fishfighter

Got you Larry. Looks like it is sawing real good. Your hard work will be rewarding. ;D

larrydown60

Sawed up those 2 little pines and ended up getting 210 bft out of them. Today I added a sawdust deflector to shoot the sawdust into a 5 gal pail

Kbeitz

The only time I us a bucket is when someone wants the sawdust.
I cut some sassafras the other day and they wanted the sawdust
for smoking meat.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

how many times did you have to empty the bucket on that pile of lumber?

larrydown60

Quote from: Crusarius on October 08, 2017, 08:54:15 PM
how many times did you have to empty the bucket on that pile of lumber?
I just put that on today I only sawed about 8 piece to day I just cleaned up some I bys that were from opening up the logs with lots of wane you can see whats in the bucket I am just trying to keep the saw dust from killing the grass in the backyard ;D

Crusarius

Larry what did you use for a fuel tank? that looks just like something I was thinking about doing. Yesterday when working on my sawmill I thought that would be the perfect spot for it to.

Thank You Sponsors!