iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeZ

larrydown60- Looks very sturdy. I weighed my complete rolling mill head after new upgrades, it weighed 1160#. Kind of surprised me. You are going to be right up there also, that is some serious steel you have going there.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

larrydown60

MikeZ, Yes I am worried about the total weight might have to got motor vehicle to adjust the weight.
Everything in the saw head is 3x3x3/16  and 1/4 plate  but there shouldn't be any twisting going LOL

MikeZ

larry- Dang it. I just spent 10 minutes typing and my session timed out before I got it posted. Anyway I was telling you that is the same mat'l I used. I originally had planned on a single upright with one drive motor for my acme screw drive, but as I progressed thought better safe than sorry so added second drive motor to other side. Also used the springs for lift assist and needed 2 more vertical posts for stuff. Second set of posts are 1/8". Keep up the good work and try to envision everything you might want to mount or add because it's a lot easier done now.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Ga Mtn Man

MikeZ, if you're referring to your Forestry Forum login timing out, you can set it to keep you logged in indefinitely.  If it's some sort of internet connection timing out, you can type your post in an email or Word document and then copy and paste it to the forum without having to worry about losing all your work.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

larrydown60

MikeZ, I am planing on adding 2 more 2x2 for the back post to hang the gas tank and water tank and going to use acme 7/8-6 to raise the saw up and down thanks for your comments and compliments.I figured I would weld them after I get the saw frame mounted on the track just becaue of the weight difference. the saw frame is going to to be around 70" tall after all the gears and cover go on the top 3x3 post. thanks Larry

larrydown60

Got a few more things built over the last few days Got the stabilizing legs built and all the log holders installed. If anyone see anything that I am doing wrong please tell me thanks

Ox

Can't see anything wrong - looks like one of the stouter homemade mills.  Things generally don't seem to show up wrong until you need to use something and you find out something's messed up then it's like, duhhhhhh, what was I thinking.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ga Mtn Man

That is looking really good!  The only thing I've noticed that might be a problem is the weld bead between the top of your log bunks and the cant stops.  It could cause the cant to lift when you clamp it tight.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

larrydown60

Thanks OX And Ga Mtn Man thanks for the heads up I will Grind the welds out in the morning Thanks again all feedback is welcome will have more pics in the next day or two

larrydown60

Update  here is a few more pics of what I got done today I also got the trailer weighed today it came in at 2340 without the saw head I got stabilizers installed and painted I also got everything prepped to install the angle iron and welded and saw head installed tomorrow 

larrydown60

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 18, 2016, 11:49:14 PM
Larry, I thought you had welded on the angle iron for your carriage to ride on but that doesn't look like the case.  What will your saw head be traveling on?
ljohnsaw here is a few pics of how the saw head will be installed thanks again for all the Help getting the pic posting straightened out

4x4American

Good eye, Paul.

Larry what you might like is what Cook's has on their ac-36 they have spikes that force the cant down into the bed and get a good grip.  I believe they have a 6 part video on youtube on their ac36 and it should show that in there.  Prolly a good video to watch for other ideas.  I see you already copied their paint job lol.  Looking great!
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

I may have missed it but I see a need for a wiper fore & aft of the rollers to remove sawdust or rather to prevent sawdust buildup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

larrydown60

Thanks 4x4 I have seen the video will watch it again
Thanks Magicman Cooks sawmill has a plastic wiper on there mill that I like the look of and Plan on installing something similar.I am getting excited I am just getting it ready to do some manual milling first then I will add all the hydraulics and electric motors after I get to mill some wood. I can't wait to try it out it has been about 1 1/2 years of reading all the posts on this forum and drooling all over the pictures. I did buy a set of  sawmill plans, but if you look at the pics you will see a little bit of something from all the mills. I hope to have it sawing in the 2-3 weeks I will keep posting pics of the progress Then I will be needing a lot of help with some of the finishing touches Like how to do a lever to engage the drive belt and wiring of electric motors hopefully I won't drive everyone crazy Thanks

larrydown60

Not much accomplished today Got the saw head T's set on the track And Run out of gas for the welder can't get any till Monday

4x4American

I think you can get gas at TSC if you're desperate
Boy, back in my day..

larrydown60

4x4 they want 250.00  for a small tank and won't exchange my tank I'll just wait till Monday for a 40.00 tank exchange

thecfarm

Too late now,but on the Thomas that I have they put a 2x3 piece of angle iron on edge and run what looks like the same type of wheels that you have in reply #34,3rd picture down. No need for wipers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

larrydown60

Quote from: thecfarm on June 12, 2016, 06:46:05 AM
Too late now,but on the Thomas that I have they put a 2x3 piece of angle iron on edge and run what looks like the same type of wheels that you have in reply #34,3rd picture down. No need for wipers.
Thanks thecfarm I built this with the intention of putting the wipers on the front of the wheels magicman suggested before and after which I will do. I thought there would be a lot of side to side movement in the wheels riding on top of the angle Cooks saw mill has the wipers on their mill that I like and it looks simple to make and add to my mill

Joe Hillmann

You may not want to fully guard the top of your carriage wheels like that.  On my mill the wheels get packed with sawdust and it needs to be picked out.  With the guards you won't see when it gets packed in or be able to easily get it out.  Although if you have brushes before and after the wheels to remove the sawdust from the track it may not be an issue.

larrydown60

Thanks Joe Hillmann for the heads up I will keep my eye on the wheels and if it becomes a problem I can always pull the wheels and drill a couple of holes to make clean out easier

Kbeitz

I never yet had any sawdust get under my wheels...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

never finished

Kbeitz, you need to saw a big ole pile of syp. It gets every where, and sticks every where it gets.

Kbeitz

I dont think that will happen. We dont have that up here in Pa.
I did saw a lot of white pine but I still had no problem with buildup.
I'm sure someday I will find something that will need lube.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Some more pics of the top cross member with different views all I could get done before gas tank ran out. it fits between the side t's

Thank You Sponsors!