iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

I am finally working on the sawmill. Here is some pictures of what I have been doing this week. I had to buy a welder and teach myself how to use it. The welding is getting easier every day. Did some bartering with a fabricator he got his stuff done and I got the shaft. So Had to start welding myself a little slow at first but going good now. I hope to have the log stops and the locks on the sawmill frame in the next couple of days. I will post more pics tomorrow of the saw mill boxes I am building for the head and bearing holders for the pulley shafts sure takes a lot of time prepping everything to weld and the grinder has gotten me a few times. LOL   

Ljohnsaw

Larry, do you have an iPhone??  You might want to look at your post on a normal computer and see if you can rotate your pictures - I'm getting dizzy! :D

Did you build the trailer frame or did you purchase that and are adding your mill track?  Looks pretty heavy duty!  Tandem axle to boot - planning on hauling logs with it as well?  Did you put on the removable hitch?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Picky2016

Nice bed, I'm watching. Giving me some ideas for my next build lol.

larrydown60

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 17, 2016, 11:48:07 PM
Larry, do you have an iPhone??  You might want to look at your post on a normal computer and see if you can rotate your pictures - I'm getting dizzy! :D

Did you build the trailer frame or did you purchase that and are adding your mill track?  Looks pretty heavy duty!  Tandem axle to boot - planning on hauling logs with it as well?  Did you put on the removable hitch?
I did buy the trailer but I have been rebuilding it I have pics in my gallery of what I started with and I did put the removeable hitch on it I hate hitting my shins  thanks

larrydown60

Quote from: Picky2016 on May 18, 2016, 06:54:16 AM
Nice bed, I'm watching. Giving me some ideas for my next build lol.
Thanks

Ox

Looks stout and with nice paint.  Mills like to rust what with the wet sawdust and all.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

larrydown60

Here is more pics of what I got done today Sawmill tension box, log stops installed,and Saw Mount Drive Pulley Arbor and idle side pulley arbor 

larrydown60

Quote from: Ox on May 18, 2016, 08:00:15 PM
Looks stout and with nice paint.  Mills like to rust what with the wet sawdust and all.
Thanks tractor paint. Sanded Primer and 2 coats should last a little while. LOL I hope

tnaz

Ljohnsaw

Larry, I thought you had welded on the angle iron for your carriage to ride on but that doesn't look like the case.  What will your saw head be traveling on?
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

larrydown60

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 18, 2016, 11:49:14 PM
Larry, I thought you had welded on the angle iron for your carriage to ride on but that doesn't look like the case.  What will your saw head be traveling on?
On the bottom outside angle I will weld 1x1 angle upside down so the v groove wheel Ride on upside down angle. I just Ordered the wheels tonight. Plan on making the sawmill lift boxes, and the log locks tomorrow

larrydown60

Didn't get much accomplished today spent the day chasing down welding gas and looking through the scrap yard for more steel. Got one of the moveable log locks built, and cut the bottom of the log back stops out so they will slide up and down instead of making different lengths of the stops 

larrydown60

John, I did figure out how to rotate the pics in the gallery but I am not sure how to rotate the ones that are in the post Sorry, I see I can rotate them when posting

pineywoods

Larry, I think you have missed an important point.  There are NO pics in your post, only a link to the pic in the gallery...therefore fixing the gallery takes care of the problem...Keep it up, your build looks quite well done...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: pineywoods on May 20, 2016, 10:09:57 AM
Larry, I think you have missed an important point.  There are NO pics in your post, only a link to the pic in the gallery...therefore fixing the gallery takes care of the problem...Keep it up, your build looks quite well done...
Well, yes and no.  IIRC, Jeff posted a thread about fixing pictures.  Yes, you fixed them in your gallery.  But go back up the thread and you will see a couple of pics that are stretched.  Jeff stated that  IF the "modify" is still available on those posts, you can click on that, delete the link to the picture and the re-insert the edited picture link.  Then all will be good.
John Sawicky

larrydown60

John, I looked at my post and Pineywoods said I have no pics in my post I looked at the post and the pics are showing up when I look at the post. I hope they are showing up thanks for your help and sorry about the bad pics

Ljohnsaw

NO, what Piney was saying is that your pictures are NOT IN your posts, there are LINKS to your gallery in your posts.  So, when you alter a picture in your gallery, it changes things in your posts where that picture is referenced (linked).  The thing that Jeff mentioned is when you rotate a picture, the original link had some information in it on how it should be displayed.  When you rotate a picture, the length and width are swapped.  But the original link in your post doesn't know that and it will be stretched or squashed one way or another.  This is why you need to delete the link and re-insert (re-link) your picture with the new information.  Hopefully that makes sense.
John Sawicky

larrydown60

Thanks John i will try that thanks

larrydown60

I got the log stops cut so they will go up and Down Still have to weld a bolt on the side of the log stops  Got the log locks built and one installed before the welder quit working This is all that I GOT DONE TODAY. I HOPE THESE PICS ARE DONE RIGHT  lol

larrydown60

Thanks Pineywoods, Coming from you means a lot. I have been admiring your work for about a year now. If you see anything that I can do it improve anything I am all ears.I am just trying to get it to cut some wood. then I plan on adding hydraulics after words I would have had the saw head built but my cheap welder died, gotta wait till Monday to order the part for the welder. I am going to use wheel chair motors for the up/down and drive the saw head forward and reverse. Thanks again

larrydown60

New welder finally came in and got the saw mill boxes built. They will ride up and down on 3x3 square tube 

Ox

Good way to do it - take the piece you want as a base and weld things around it until it fits!  Custom, I think, is the word.  Nice job.  Looks good and rugged like your frame.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Czech_Made

larrydown60

Got a little more built today I got the saw head T's built still got finish the wheel covers hopefully Bye the end of the week I will have a rolling saw head. Thanks everyone for your comments and if you see something that would be better please speak your mind I am all ears 

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!