iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemclimber

My little chipper uses a pin/shaft, one on top and one on the bottom, outside the driver pulley to keep the belt from rubbing when it's disengaged.  It might be easier to make than a shroud around the whole pulley.
lt15

larrydown60

Quote from: Jemclimber on September 11, 2017, 06:57:42 AM
My little chipper uses a pin/shaft, one on top and one on the bottom, outside the driver pulley to keep the belt from rubbing when it's disengaged.  It might be easier to make than a shroud around the whole pulley.
Thanks Jemclimber any pictures?

Kbeitz

Quote from: Jemclimber on September 11, 2017, 06:57:42 AM

A lot of mower decks are made that way...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Thanks Kbeitz Got everything welded on and cut some wood forgot to take pics. I don't know which one made the biggest difference the new motor or the blades but I think I'll keep the mill now LOL the difference is night and day. Now I have to pick some logs up tomorrow and make the video and put the pins in to hold the belt on. Did I saw how happy I am with the new improvements. LOL Thanks everyone for the help.

gww

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

larrydown60

Here are the pics of the tensioner instead of a clutch the lever is off from an old hay rake. The lever slides the motor to tension the belt, works great I like the way it locks when I tension the belt.

trapper

made an 18"x14"x4' block for neighbor to mount his anvil to.  He can cut to length.  Also finished another poston  log planter.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

grouch

larrydown60,

You need to add steam locomotive sound effects to that. (Hide the noise-maker so spectators won't know the secret). Spin some hand wheels, pull back on the old ratcheting belt tensioning lever -- chugging starts and speeds up as you pull it back (naturally, straining to control immense power that the onlookers can only imagine), yank on a rope to give a couple of steam whistle warning toots, and start sawing. Guaranteed to draw a crowd.

Ok, that might be over the top, but I really like the way you've used that old lever and ratchet.
Find something to do that interests you.

larrydown60

grouch my friend that gave me the handle and the idea, uses one on his garden pulling tractor he said he pushes it forward and when he wants to go further he pushes the lever another click forward  LOL

larrydown60

Ok saw mill is cutting fantastic but I have no machinery to load the logs so I started collecting and gathering materials to build a log loader. I am going to build something similar to the cooks mp32 log loader. Everything will be under the frame 3x3 will slide into the 4x4 and be pined in place while installed

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ox

You gonna put those swinging dogs to keep the log from rolling back down?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

larrydown60

Ox I don't think so at first Maybe over the winter but I am going to use the 6 x 6 for now I need to get cutting some logs before that white stuff flies. I keep finding things to improve on I just need to cut some wood the only thing I have is a couple of small piles of spalted maple sad, But I have some nice logs if I can get them on top of the mill

Darrel

Those 6X6's be kinda steep. What ya gonna use to pull the logs up that grade?
1992 LT40HD

larrydown60

Darrel I am thinking probably a 3000 lb electric winch

Crusarius

Weld a 20" flat piece on the end of the ramp and use a highlift jack lift the platform till level or a little higher then use a cant hook to roll it onto the bed.

Could also setup a jib crane using the winch in place of the high lift.

I think it be a lot easier raising the loading ramps to level than trying to pull a log up the full length of the ramp.

gww

The winch will probly roll the log up that.  What I find with a 2000 lbs winch is that when I stop part way up my ramps (which are much less of an angle) the winch break will not hold the bigger logs while I go around and make adjustments to the log when it goes sideways.  I use blocks in front of one end of the log to help turn it and blocks behind the log to keep it where it is untill I adjust the chain or cable from the winch.  Your situation makes ox's suggestion of putting little rotating stops along your ramp a pretty good ideal.  So try it with out them but if you have control problims, some kind of auto stops to keep the log where it is so you don't lose ground while making adjustments can be added if needed to bring it home.

Good luck
gww

Crusarius

The auto stops also work nice if the log gets to twisted you just reverse the winch and the log should straighten up to the stops.

Very simple cantilever design to make auto stops.

larrydown60

Thanks everyone for the the advice, I do listen to them and use what I can. Right now I am about to lose 5- 20" black walnut trees that are about 20' long and 3 - cherry that are 25" by 10 foot long if I don't get them very soon. So this is what I am throwing together for right now. I will be putting a real hydraulic log loader on in the spring. The 6 x 6 is 6ft long I hope it will work for now. This is what I got done today I will have it done tomorrow. Sorry it gets dark here to early  In the one pic it shows a shiney plate that will bolt to bottom of the 6 x 6  and drop inside the 2 x 2  pocket to hold them in place

Darrel

I got lost when I saw the tall square tubing that's too tall to stay in the picture. Not sure how that will help logs get on the mill. I'm sure that I'm just missing something even if it is in my own head.  ;D :D
1992 LT40HD

larrydown60

Quote from: Darrel on September 17, 2017, 11:36:16 PM
I got lost when I saw the tall square tubing that's too tall to stay in the picture. Not sure how that will help logs get on the mill. I'm sure that I'm just missing something even if it is in my own head.  ;D :D
Darrel ck out the video on youtube for the Cooks mp32 the log loader is near end of the video

larrydown60

Got a little more done today just need a winch and fix all the wiring I mean clean it up

Darrel

That most certainly looks like it will work splendidly!  And yes, I was missing something.  :P
1992 LT40HD

5quarter

Hi Larry...just catching up on your build...Wow! Absolutely outstanding job. Now stop tinkering and start sawing!  ;) :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!