iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am seeing some hefty saw blade marks.  Was the blade sharp?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

larrydown60

Yes Magicman brand new blade it was a Cooks 10 degree excel blade Maybe more tension on the blade or more down pressure on my blade guides? It was a wavy cut also. Thanks

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Bruno of NH

Try a 4 degree band
I have some cooks bands don't use them anymore they just don't cut well on my mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Ox

Yep.  Kasco 4 degree blades are the best blades I like so far out of trying 5 different ones.  Order through the ads on the left.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

larrydown60

I picked these up today I think I left a nut in the grass moving this big one around on the mill by hand I got these 2 logs to see if I can cut soft wood with the 10 degree blade, while I wait on 4 degree blades to come in. I also figured out the engine I have someone took the governor off so I ordered one off Ebay this morning

fishfighter

Guess it is time you start looking at a arch trailer. ;D Tail gates and logs don't mix and don't ask me how I know. >:(

larrydown60

Ok Today I tried the Cooks 10 degree blade on the spruce log it cut like crazy and did real good on the log stop to LOL I guess I need to try to sharpen my blades with the dremel till I get some new blades   

Kbeitz

Quote from: larrydown60 on August 02, 2017, 09:35:34 PM
Ok Today I tried the Cooks 10 degree blade on the spruce log it cut like crazy and did real good on the log stop to LOL I guess I need to try to sharpen my blades with the dremel till I get some new blades

I did that for a long time. It take one 3/8 stone for each sharping . You can buy bags of 50/100 off
E-bay cheap. I think it did a good job but it sure is slow going.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

Larry
I used cooks excel blades (20 of them).  I am now using thier super sharp 8 degree blades.  I like them better and as I also use a dremal to sharpen while the blade is on the mill.  I find it easier to sharpen the super sharp blades then I did the exels.  I bought the silver not the black.
These are the only two blades I have ever used and so can't say I have tested them against other brands.
Cheers
gww

fishfighter

My $25 blade sharpener. ;D

I keep a new Kasco blade of 7 degree and just dress the stone as needed. ;D

larrydown60

Thanks gww I will order one to see how it works. Thanks fish fighter I like the looks of that every body around here thinks those saws are worth a gold mine LOL I will look for a cheap one Thanks again

sawmilllawyer

Fishfighter, the more I see what you have done with what has been available to you the more I am truly impressed with your genius. Keep on keeping on!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

larrydown60

Here is the log I was sawing when I tried to cut the log stop off LOL I also ruined my last blade. I was surprised how far it cut into the log stop all 1/4 steel with a Cooks 10 degree blade

larrydown60

Started the rebuild on the 20 hp Kohler Command backup engine I picked up it looks nasty on the outside but it only has a hundred hours on it sat outside it's whole life but inside is like brand new. My friend ran it on his stump grinder and ran straight pipes and no muffler and it burned up the oil rings and started smoking. I am just waiting on the rings and gaskets to come in and it will replace the 16 hp engine that is on the saw mill now, boy Kohler parts are pricey. LOL I also got a new tool today

larrydown60

Just got a cant hook given to me from a friends dad

gww

larrydown60

Me and my cousin finally got the rebuild done and put back together today complete with new muffler. This engine has a 1 7/16 shaft. I went to all the tractor stores and auto parts stores and no one carries a pulley that size so I ordered one from Surplus Center. I will try to mount it tomorrow and do the break in.

larrydown60

I finally got the rebuilt new motor installed and running, runs great and quiet with the new muffler. A friend gave me an old lever off some farm equipment to slide the motor back and forth to tension the belt what a great idea to tension the belt and release the the tension simplicity at it best.Tomorrow I will weld it up and try the new 7 degree ripper out if all goes well

Kbeitz

You will need to put belt guards on the sides of your belt so it doesn't drag the drive pulley when released.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

kbeitz thanks are they like the ones on a mower deck?

Ljohnsaw

You need to have a guard all the way around just a little bit away from the belt when engaged.  That way, when you loosen it, it is supported by the guard and stays away from the pulleys.  Prevents the belt from continually dragging around the pulleys and keeping the blade turning.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Thank You Sponsors!