The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: More Pics of my sawmill build  (Read 22340 times)

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
Re: More Pics of my sawmill build
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2016, 11:19:41 pm »
New welder finally came in and got the saw mill boxes built. They will ride up and down on 3x3 square tube 

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2016, 08:34:34 am »
Good way to do it - take the piece you want as a base and weld things around it until it fits!  Custom, I think, is the word.  Nice job.  Looks good and rugged like your frame.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Czech_Made

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 08:41:27 am »
Coming along nicely  smiley_thumbsup

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 10:14:04 pm »
Got a little more built today I got the saw head T's built still got finish the wheel covers hopefully Bye the end of the week I will have a rolling saw head. Thanks everyone for your comments and if you see something that would be better please speak your mind I am all ears 

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood is good
    • Website Link
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 10:17:34 pm »
Lookin real good!
Would Mizer LT40HDSD36-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT
Baker Model A

Offline MikeZ

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:18 pm »
larrydown60- Looks very sturdy. I weighed my complete rolling mill head after new upgrades, it weighed 1160#. Kind of surprised me. You are going to be right up there also, that is some serious steel you have going there.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 11:16:14 pm »
MikeZ, Yes I am worried about the total weight might have to got motor vehicle to adjust the weight.
 Everything in the saw head is 3x3x3/16  and 1/4 plate  but there shouldn't be any twisting going LOL

Offline MikeZ

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 11:39:25 pm »
larry- Dang it. I just spent 10 minutes typing and my session timed out before I got it posted. Anyway I was telling you that is the same mat'l I used. I originally had planned on a single upright with one drive motor for my acme screw drive, but as I progressed thought better safe than sorry so added second drive motor to other side. Also used the springs for lift assist and needed 2 more vertical posts for stuff. Second set of posts are 1/8". Keep up the good work and try to envision everything you might want to mount or add because it's a lot easier done now.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

Online Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 11:55:47 pm »
MikeZ, if you're referring to your Forestry Forum login timing out, you can set it to keep you logged in indefinitely.  If it's some sort of internet connection timing out, you can type your post in an email or Word document and then copy and paste it to the forum without having to worry about losing all your work.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2016, 04:11:01 am »
MikeZ, I am planing on adding 2 more 2x2 for the back post to hang the gas tank and water tank and going to use acme 7/8-6 to raise the saw up and down thanks for your comments and compliments.I figured I would weld them after I get the saw frame mounted on the track just becaue of the weight difference. the saw frame is going to to be around 70" tall after all the gears and cover go on the top 3x3 post. thanks Larry

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 09:41:24 pm »
Got a few more things built over the last few days Got the stabilizing legs built and all the log holders installed. If anyone see anything that I am doing wrong please tell me thanks

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2016, 08:44:12 am »
Can't see anything wrong - looks like one of the stouter homemade mills.  Things generally don't seem to show up wrong until you need to use something and you find out something's messed up then it's like, duhhhhhh, what was I thinking.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Online Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:21 pm »
That is looking really good!  The only thing I've noticed that might be a problem is the weld bead between the top of your log bunks and the cant stops.  It could cause the cant to lift when you clamp it tight.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 10:52:21 pm »
Thanks OX And Ga Mtn Man thanks for the heads up I will Grind the welds out in the morning Thanks again all feedback is welcome will have more pics in the next day or two

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
Update  here is a few more pics of what I got done today I also got the trailer weighed today it came in at 2340 without the saw head I got stabilizers installed and painted I also got everything prepped to install the angle iron and welded and saw head installed tomorrow 

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 09:30:14 pm »
Larry, I thought you had welded on the angle iron for your carriage to ride on but that doesn't look like the case.  What will your saw head be traveling on?
ljohnsaw here is a few pics of how the saw head will be installed thanks again for all the Help getting the pic posting straightened out

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood is good
    • Website Link
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:44 pm »
Good eye, Paul.

Larry what you might like is what Cook's has on their ac-36 they have spikes that force the cant down into the bed and get a good grip.  I believe they have a 6 part video on youtube on their ac36 and it should show that in there.  Prolly a good video to watch for other ideas.  I see you already copied their paint job lol.  Looking great!
Would Mizer LT40HDSD36-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT
Baker Model A

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 10:53:52 pm »
I may have missed it but I see a need for a wiper fore & aft of the rollers to remove sawdust or rather to prevent sawdust buildup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 11:58:01 pm »
Thanks 4x4 I have seen the video will watch it again
Thanks Magicman Cooks sawmill has a plastic wiper on there mill that I like the look of and Plan on installing something similar.I am getting excited I am just getting it ready to do some manual milling first then I will add all the hydraulics and electric motors after I get to mill some wood. I can't wait to try it out it has been about 1 1/2 years of reading all the posts on this forum and drooling all over the pictures. I did buy a set of  sawmill plans, but if you look at the pics you will see a little bit of something from all the mills. I hope to have it sawing in the 2-3 weeks I will keep posting pics of the progress Then I will be needing a lot of help with some of the finishing touches Like how to do a lever to engage the drive belt and wiring of electric motors hopefully I won't drive everyone crazy Thanks

Offline larrydown60

• I'm new!
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2016, 09:42:27 pm »
Not much accomplished today Got the saw head T's set on the track And Run out of gas for the welder can't get any till Monday