iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gww

To ljhonsaws point.  I had my mill running at about 9000 fpm and was going through guide bearings.  The saw did cut but I slowed it down and do believe it made it better.  My blade might be lasting a bit longer also.  Nice mill.  I am almost dissapointed that you are putting hydrolics on over the winter.  I will have a hard time waiting that long to see you cut your first board, always and exciting thing for me.
Good luck
gww

larrydown60

ljohnsaw Thank you you for the info I will switch the pulleys around tomorrow, nice catch Kbeitz  you guys just saved me some headaches later on thanks again

Ljohnsaw

Larry,
That is assuming your engine speed is at or about 3,400 rpm.  You could throttle back but then you are not in the right part of the engine's power curve.  Best to have the right gearing!  Good luck on your homemade bearing guides.  Mine didn't last (went through 3 sets I believe) and I went the Cook's route and have been very happy with them.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

larrydown60

gww, I will have it up and sawing very soon installing the lift system tomorrow and guides also received all the machined parts Saturday. I have had bronchitis for a week and half now. just can't get my energy going, new meds hopefully it will clear up soon. just plugging along now. I won't make everyone wait till spring to see this sawing. LOL. I will be gathering everything I need over the winter to put the hydraulics on come spring

larrydown60

Ljohnsaw I do believe the motor is 3500 rpm I will post pics of the guides tomorrow just need to get some bolts to finish them up. I hope they work

4x4American

I am excited to see this thing sawing.  What are you gonna saw first? 
Boy, back in my day..

larrydown60

4x4American all that I have to saw up right now is some good sized Locust logs. A friend had a tree taken down the other day and there is some good lumber lying there. There is a couple of 36" x 8' and bunch of 30"x 6' pieces and lots of short pieces of 4' lengths and some good looking crotch pieces. Going to borrow a friends trailer that has grapple loader on it to pick these logs up. I am now going to have to either upgrade my truck or add the 2500 suspension to my truck so I can haul the weight around. It never ends LOL

larrydown60

Ok all my my blade guides are all welded up and ready to weld to to the saw here is a few pics

4x4American

Looking good.

Cook's just posted a video on blade speed, thought you might like to see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCZ9YMs0jA
Boy, back in my day..

larrydown60

Thanks 4x4american video is a good bit of info thanks again

larrydown60

Just a few pics of the acme threaded rod setup lower cup with bearing and an a adapter for the acme rod and the the acme rod lift tube battery ran out before I could get more pics, tomorrow is another day

4x4American

Now how do you know that tomorrow is another day??   :D
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

'Cause it ain't yesterday.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

larrydown60

BECause only the good die young and I am to miserable,stubborn and rotten to die. So I know I am here for a lot longer. 8)

larrydown60

A few more pics of the acme rod set up and lift. Stripped the saw mill down to paint everything one last time

larrydown60

Sorry it's been awhile since I posted anything. Made some changes to the saw mill added 2 more post to the head added the water jug holder and gas tank holder and battery box installed and put the final coat of paint on everything. going to assemble everything tomorrow. Finally got the winch for the lift and waiting on machine shop to modify it. Hopefully get the blades ordered tomorrow or Tuesday Everything is finally coming together hope to have it running by next weekend

fishfighter

Looking great. Bet you can't wait to bust up that nice paint job. ;D

Ox

Yeah, don't scratch the paint now!  Looks great.  Big too!  Hopefully it performs as good as you're hoping it will.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Gearbox

I may be wrong on that engine . On my 27 HP water cooled Briggs it has a torque curve that is flat from 2000 RPM on up with all most no rise to 3600 . So you should be able to throttle and cut any where above 2000 RPM .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

larrydown60

Not worried about the paint I just want to see this thing cut some logs. Plus I have more paint to use up LOL

Picky2016

Nice job Larry, keep up, you'll be cutting in no time!

larrydown60

A little progress today got everything ready for the wiring tomorrow and hopefully running if everything goes according to my plan here is a couple of pics of my homemade guide wheels installed. Still waiting on machine shop to finish the winch modification.

Ox

I still can't get over how rugged everything seems to be.  I predict zero flex.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I my my mill very rugged. I got flex from the roller bearings that the carriage rode on.
This was my fix... Slack adjuster.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Kbeitz On the drive side I only have 20 thousands spacing in my saw box that goes up and down, on the idle side there is 1/4 clearance on saw box 1/8 on each side of the 3x3 tube that was figured in for flex so the blade won't brake it gives it a little flex Have not run it yet maybe tomorrow then I still have to order some blades more pics tomorrow

Thank You Sponsors!