iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine

Started by mac37, May 17, 2016, 05:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac37

what would be a good price to charge to saw some pine logs they bring them to be I'm in nort west pa thanks

Hiway40frank

Im sure someone will have a better response, but for me it depends on the quality of logs size and what they want milled. All said and done any logs I have dropped off are sawn at a BF rate or flat rate for the job.

Magicman

You said NW Pa, but adding your location to your profile always helps with such questions.

I cater to an entirely different market and travel to the logs which rids me of the hassle of having to handle logs and dispose of the slabs & sawdust.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Call around to other sawmills if possible and ask what they would charge you to saw Pine logs if you brought them.
This is exactly what I did.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Check the market but also know what your expenses and required return. I don't try to undercut anybody but do try to provide more customer service.

Not sure what your market will stand but I charge $.30/bf if they provide a helper, $.35//bf or $60/hr (if we decide on hourly rate) if I stack and I'd expect them to leave a trailer.

I use same rate regardless of species. Some sawyers have different rates for hardwood vs softwood. I would charge more if much hickory were involved.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mac37

thanks for the help guys

derhntr

WV, I am now at $75 a hour for me and mill $85 If I provide helper.
If on BF and they provide logs to mill site $.35 if they provide 2 helpers $.45 if they provide 1 helper. $.50 for long logs over 16' and $.50 for Quarter Sawing. Only 2 have bulked at rates.

500 bf min to saw on BF rates. 1 hr min saw charge on less.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Thank You Sponsors!