iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The end of an Era

Started by mad murdock, May 17, 2016, 01:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mad murdock

Well, like all things in this mortal realm, time marches on, and yesterday my father passed on to the next phase. There is a grand reunion on the other side with loved ones and family that have been waiting for his return home.  He was 90 years young, and spend his whole professional career in the forest products industry in Northern Wisc, and Upper Mich.  He began working for his elder brothers at C.V Branham Lumber co. which after the mill burned with fire in the late 40's was changed to Branham Woodland Products, Inc. They managed hundreds of thousands of  acres of company land, and millions of cords of contracts with the big mills of the era, 50's thru the 1990's.  There may well be some on this forum who knew of him or the company, Arnold H. Branham ended his career in the late 1980's as president of Branham Woodland and Branham Trucking, the company is now non existent, but through it my brothers and I sold wood, and were given a chance to work as contract loggers, selling wood to places like P&G in Green Bay, Champion Intl. in the UP and northern wisc. Badger Paper in Peshtigo,  Thilmany, O&I, Consolidated Paper, and I am sure many others in WI, Mills in Gladstone Mich, veneer mills in Northern Wisc, and the U.P.  I remember as a kid going with him to scale wood at the many collection yards that they had around the region, so that they could get "advances" on the wood from the mills, to pay advances to the loggers, and keep the chain moving for wood production. They managed large peeled contracts for a lot of the mills and that is where he had us boys (6 of us) cutting our teeth at a young age learning how to wield a spud, as he would have us fill small contracts each summer to keep us busy, getting .05 cents per stick that we peeled.  I was doing that at 8 years old.  I will be forever grateful for the opportunity to learn first hand what real work was all about, and the awesome mentor I had in him to show the way. He was the youngest of 12 children, and timber and sawdust were in our family's blood for generations, as my grandfather ran a mill near Jennings, Wisc. along with a general store in the early 1920's. I really enjoyed the years I worked in the woods full time, and am grateful to be able to pass that passion on to my children. My dad will be missed but surely not forgotten,  I trust in the knowledge we will see him again "around the board".
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Raider Bill

Sorry to hear this. Losing a Dad is tough.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

sawguy21

Sorry to hear this, it is never easy. That is a wonderful tribute, he packed a lot of living into 90 years and left a good legacy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Sixacresand

Sorry to hear about your Father, Madmurdock. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

My condolences Madmurdock.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Hilltop366

I offer my condolences. It can't be easy.

Bruno of NH

Sorry for your loss .
He sounds like he was a great man .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ron Scott

May he rest in peace among many trees.
~Ron

Magicman

I offer my condolences to you and your family during this sad time.  I am sure that you will remember and cherish the good times that you shared together.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

coxy

sorry to hear about your dad

69bronco

Sorry, I miss mine regular.

WDH

Mad,

What a fine man and father.  I know that you are proud. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mad murdock

Thanks all for your thoughts and well wishes. Thanks also to Jeff for this awesome place, you all feel like family. For sure the memories remebered, keeps our loved ones close always.  There is a bright future ahead :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WV Sawmiller

Mad,

Sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I am glad you have so many fond memories of your dad. I pray this will get you through this trying time.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Carson-saws

sorry for your loss.  I feel a person is never gone....until they are forgotten.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

barbender

Sorry about your dad, Madmurdock- and thank you for sharing a bit about him.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

My Dad never had a company,but he taught me alot about the woods.
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Condolences, last year my dad passed also at 90, there is seldom a day that I don't think of him in some way. As time goes on the remembrances are more often accompanied with a smile instead of a tear but it does take time, your memories of him will bring a smile.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

WmFritz

I'm glad you shared your fathers story. I've never worked in the woods (for pay), but I've worked in a couple of the paper mills you mentioned.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jim_Rogers

Sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 1980 when he was 63 years old, and I was only 28.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WH_Conley

Sorry to hear. My condolences and respect. He sounded like someone that I would liked to have met.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!