iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Goat Lands a 60/40 Cedar Deal

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 16, 2016, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I only do trade deals on Walnut, Cherry, Sycamore, certain Maples and Cedar.

I did a 60/40 swap on some very nice Cedar that came off an old tract about 6 miles away.
The guy is a logger and actually is the one that builds my birdhouses for me.
He came across some really nice "no rot" Cedar that had very little fluting.
All he wanted was the size logs to give him 8 inches and down.
Turned out to be a good deal for me and he delivered them. I got about 26 logs that will give me
16, 14, 12 and 10 inch wide Cedar.
We sawed a small whack today all 4/4. I estimated some of these logs to be around 60 years old.
I sell 10 inch wide Cedar for $3.00 / bf
The 12's will sell for $4.00 / bf
The 14's will sell for $4.50 and the 16's for $5.00 / bf.
Please realize Cedar lumber this size and quality is extremely rare in the piedmont area of S.C.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

Crazy good.  Did I say CRAZY GOOD?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dustyhat

Good looking cedar, that size is pretty rare around here also.

Magicman

Congrats on the ERC.  Now I gotta ask about the non-skid surface.   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2016, 08:37:55 PM
Congrats on the ERC.  Now I gotta ask about the non-skid surface.   ???

I know what you are talking about.  :D :D :D :D
Bent tooth.  ;D.....or a very rare grain. I'll never tell.  ::)

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 16, 2016, 08:49:39 PM
I know which.

So y'all have that vertical grain in Mississippi too uh?  :)

WV Sawmiller

Real pretty wood Dave. Thanks for the pricing info on cedar. What thickness do you normally cut or find sells the best? I have a local furniture maker who told me to keep him in mind if I find some. it is pretty rare here. I did cut a little last week and have a customer supposedly cutting some for me to come mill. I did a site visit and it will be real small stuff.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 16, 2016, 09:05:27 PM
  What thickness do you normally cut or find sells the best?

When I first started sawing, I shot myself in the foot thinking I had to saw every dimension.
Every sawmill has to learn its individual market. I quickly learned that 7/8 thickness sells very well coming from my mill. I have a lot of contractors that buy 7/8 thickness for closets in custom homes around here.
I keep 4x4 and 6x6's on hand all the time and keep a reserve of Cedar logs on hand for special cuts. I don't like to saw everything I have up at once.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

It must have been the perfect logs. Looks good.  As you said on Face Book:  Making sawmilling GREAT AGAIN   :D
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Sixacresand on May 16, 2016, 09:57:00 PM
It must have been the perfect logs. Looks good.  As you said on Face Book:  Making sawmilling GREAT AGAIN   :D

smiley_thumbsup

Andries

Quote from: Sixacresand on May 16, 2016, 09:57:00 PM
Does that mean that goats never "Feel the Bern?"  ;D
Great looking cedar !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

Good luck to looking stuff.  Did you mill any high dollar slabs?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

sandsawmill14

very nice cedar :) you dont get much cedar like that anywhere  we get some cedar that big around here but most pf the big ones have rot in in them and i only saw i board with it in your pics smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Cedarman

We see a good bit of big cedar, but the quality you have in those logs is the best there is.  That quality is so easy to sell.  Beautiful.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bruno of NH

X2 WDH that cedar would make me a lot of coin in NewEngland :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

mesquite buckeye

Purty neat.  ;D

I'm thinking that is the first curly/ fiddleback cedar I have seen. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

elk42

POSTON
What are these 20" worth I got 9 of them.

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

taylorsmissbeehaven

Nice cedar David!! I cut a lot of it but not that quality at that size. I can only assume that you are getting caught up from your down time if your cutting on shares. Keep up the nice work.Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on May 18, 2016, 07:32:48 AM
I want some of those logs  :).

I want some of your slabs!  smiley_nananana

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: elk42 on May 18, 2016, 12:03:20 PM
POSTON
What are these 20" worth I got 9 of them.

If they are at least 8-6, I sell them for $200 a slab to table builders.
If the size and species are rare for my area, I price it accordingly.
Most folks will walk and then when you least expect it.....3 people will be fighting over it.
I absolutely will not give my "beauty" away.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!