iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Pics and Video from the farm. Mostly felling video.

Started by weimedog, May 16, 2016, 05:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

woodsdog2015

Nice work.  Weimdog, what kind of tree is that you're felling on the one with the Hutzl 372 52mm build saw?  Is that some kind of hickory? The bark doesn't look shaggy enough for a cherry and two broke up and brown for any kind of maple.  I cut up something this year for firewood and the bark looked exactly like that.  It was already down almost two years ago now just in log form so I bucked it up but didn't have any leaves for reference. 
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

thechknhwk

weimedog

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on May 18, 2016, 04:31:36 PM
Nice work.  Weimdog, what kind of tree is that you're felling on the one with the Hutzl 372 52mm build saw?  Is that some kind of hickory? The bark doesn't look shaggy enough for a cherry and two broke up and brown for any kind of maple.  I cut up something this year for firewood and the bark looked exactly like that.  It was already down almost two years ago now just in log form so I bucked it up but didn't have any leaves for reference.

Most was maple. We have Ash, Cherry, Hard & Soft maple (Its still a hard wood!) and Hickory. For weed trees we have Hop Horn beam, Poplar, and Beech. LOTS of Beech trees.  Most of what I was cutting with the Huztl saw that year was tapped Hard Maple. I plan to get all of the tapped trees out of there over the next few years. ALso will thin the Beech as well.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

XP_Slinger

Nice video bud.  We have A LOT of beech that needs thinning in my neck of the woods too.  All the big ones are dying which stinks but at least it's good firewood for the family.
346XP/NE
357XP...ported by MeDremel
372XP/XT...ported by A. Burr
Homelite (Solo) 340

I'd rather be in the woods than on this computer.

Ljohnsaw

Nice video showing lots of different situations.  I am just a novice and was watching your technique.  I was told/taught to cut the back cut a few inches (3-6) above the notch.  It appears that you cut pretty much even with the notch (resulting in a flat stump).  Is there a particular name for that type of cut?  It sure works good for you!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

weimedog

weimedog

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 28, 2016, 09:32:30 PM
Nice video showing lots of different situations.  I am just a novice and was watching your technique.  I was told/taught to cut the back cut a few inches (3-6) above the notch.  It appears that you cut pretty much even with the notch (resulting in a flat stump).  Is there a particular name for that type of cut?  It sure works good for you!

Yup I usually end up with a flat stump. Once in a while I'll angle the bottom cut so the included angle is 90 degrees or more, when I have room or feel the need not to have that open face close until the tree is in fact on the ground.. My suggestion is keep doing what you have been taught. This is just what I've evolved to over the years. You can see how it works.  And yes I've been taught other technics that have actual names and seem to always end up back here. You can see what happens. One thing I try to avoid are having pulls that ruins several feet of log. Also sometimes the cut location and geometry is altered because of taps or rotten sections.  Or I have a back ache and the tree is firewood anyway. If its a saw log the cuts are as low as I can get.

Another popular technic out here is the open face cut and then plunge behind the hinge and work to the back on the back cut. I don't ever do that any more. I know that flies in the face of local convention as that is where the experts out here lead you. See a saw every couple of months from folks who do where they miss the line and actually plunge through the hinge and have the tree come straight at them. I do what I do on the back cut because I can see where the hinge is when I start and am looking right at the hinge location as I work around to the finish side. You might have noticed that when the face cut does finally close and snap the hinge, those trees almost always hop forward... :) Think about that for a second. AND If there is any question I can put in a wedge...I spend a lot of time by myself.

Ljohnsaw

Thanks for the second video.  I didn't really look at what type of trees you were cutting.  You are just doing what was necessary to prevent pull as very well explained in the video.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

woodsdog2015

Quote from: weimedog on May 21, 2016, 07:06:34 AM
Quote from: woodsdog2015 on May 18, 2016, 04:31:36 PM

Most was maple. We have Ash, Cherry, Hard & Soft maple (Its still a hard wood!) and Hickory. For weed trees we have Hop Horn beam, Poplar, and Beech. LOTS of Beech trees.  Most of what I was cutting with the Huztl saw that year was tapped Hard Maple. I plan to get all of the tapped trees out of there over the next few years. ALso will thin the Beech as well.

Wiemdog, thanks for the response.  I still don't think it was maple I cut up but I know it burned well this past February.  Are you taking the ash for fear of the Emerald Ash Borer or is it just part of your forestry management program?  Beech is great burning wood too.  Doesn't seem to have the value of Oak, Cherry, Walnut but  My dad had cupboards made out of beech for my parents back entry room area and it they turned out very nice.  I wish there were more butternut too.  Do you have much walnut and butternut up that way?  We have more black walnut here than butternut (Western New York) I know you're in the central part of NY.
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

weimedog

We have no walnut some butternut, and I don't think I mentions...Oak. Lots of Oak. We have a blight issue with beech so the two reasons I am thinning (three reasons) beech is to absolutely get as many blighted trees down and the ones that can be fire wood processed. Also they do take resource from the more valuable Oak, Hard Maple, Cherry, Butternut and other timber.

Ash...is a complex subject. It's an OK firewood by itself. Mixed with Maple it works well. Just doesn't have the mass & BTU value. It has been selling for a good price over the last 5 or 6 years...less now. So there was some push for that reason combined with the fear of losing the stands.. But I am leaving (left) 15 inch minus that look healthy and have grown nice and straight. If the beetle gets them...then it was a bad move. If they survive, I will have a lot of really nice trees. Last, I do prioritize hard maple, Oak, Cherry etc. over the Ash so if they are impeding another more valuable tree....they go. So its a blend of issue that determines the fate of particular ash trees.

farmguy

Its nice to see someone using all the P.P.E my neighbor was out using his saw to clear sum brush and all he had was ear protection. That way he can hear how dumb he was when he cuts off his leg or loses an eye. I try and tell theis people but will they listen nope.

ppine

Most of the felling videos I have seen on the internet are hard to watch because the people in them are gunsels. Thanks for the video. I like orange saws best.  The plunge cutting craze is something I don't really get, but people seem to like it.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!