iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

All seriousness...

Started by CCC4, May 14, 2016, 04:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

If you busted your tail for a crew for several years and were stuck on a crap job and walked into this situation...what would you do? Remember you are broke and "have" to work. This is Hydro Ax pushed over timber left for you as a Christmas present from your boss.

pine

Not sure that I understand.  Did your boss intentionally do that just to make your life miserable or did it happen and you need to pick up the pieces?

mills

Boy oh boy.

Was this done with malice, a lack of respect, or just plain ole stupidity? I get to see this type stuff quite often since my day job is in a factory. Intent behind the transgression determines how I handle it.

barbender

I'd be talking to the boss about it at the very least- some stuff isn't worth doing, broke or not. That tangle looks like a great way to get killed >:(
Too many irons in the fire

Grandpa

CCC4
I don't know why but you caught my attention a while ago with two close calls in a short time. Seems like it was last fall. Now you show us this picture. This is only my opinion and nobody can tell you what to do but it looks to me like something has to change before you get hurt.

I wouldn't cut those trees until they are pulled out of that mess and the stress is relieved.

Just my 02 cents worth.

Best of luck to you.

BargeMonkey

You've probably cut more wood than I've stared @.  :D So for you to get twisted it's got to be a mess, picture is rough to see exactly. I understand being "caught" with children to feed. I flat out don't place myself in stuff like that anymore, it's bad enough being in the woods, your boss is hanging himself out there pretty good if this is a regular thing and shouldn't blink if you burned fuel using a skidder to make it right.

redprospector

If I had a faller, cutter, or machine runner (notice I didn't say operator) that left me a jackstrawed mess like that...I'd fire his butt. I'd do the same if I had a boss that left me a jackstrawed mess like that.
There is a lot of "stuff" that happens in the woods that puts us in danger. Life is too short as it is, there is absolutely no reason to put up with someone who thinks that little of you.
From what I've gathered from your posts, you are a man of many talents. You might want to consider using one of them in another place.
That is my opinion, take it for what it's worth. You can actually take my opinion and $2.50 and get a cup of black coffee in some places.  ;) 
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

sandsawmill14

:o :o :o  as some of  the others said make them take a skidder and fix it or offer the boss your saw and ask him to show you how without getting hurt >:(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

CCC4

Shortly after the pic I cut that mess. It actually was worse than what the pic showed. I'm pretty frustrated with being treated like that. I brought in on myself by showing I can and will do it...but I'm burning out. I'm on my way back down there this morning, I have no real option due to trying to feed my Family.

I am going to explore a couple options, I have a good enough rep in my area that I won't be without work....but it makes me nervous. I feel I am being put in entirely too dangerous situations and have been on this job for a total of 6 months or better. Too many close calls to mention...last week I got a concussion "fixing" my boss' carelessness.

I keep getting sent into the lion's den...been winning the fight...but my luck will run out. It is not "if"....it's "when" at this point. It saddens me to know how hard I struggle only to meet my assured end because I'm trying. Very upsetting to me. I walk out the door, get in the crummy and "hope" that I come home to my beautiful wife.

Plankton

If it were me I would walk the (EDITED BY ADMIN, I RECOMMEND YOU READ YOUR PERSONAL MESSAGES BEFORE YOU POST AGAIN) away and let him clean up his jackstrawed mess.
A skilled faller like yourself should be able to find work easily with a company who respects you.  Also why on earth isn't he cutting them and laying them out with the machine?? Woods work is already dangerous enough never mind dealing with that mess!

47sawdust

Your personal safety and the well being of your family are of more importance,by far,than to work for someone who has so little regard for how to work safely and efficiently.
I would not be working in that situation.You are young,able and apparently fearless.Don't let people take advantage of you or you will be young and crippled or worse.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

BargeMonkey

Again, I hate to speak to much.  :D. Even with a "depressed" market up here, everyone that's survived is looking for help. We had some issues finding "the right guys" for cushy scale jobs recently. Someone as skilled as you would have no problem finding a good job if you threw it out there. Again your situation sounds like it sucks, and dealing with that every day isn't good.

sandsawmill14

talk to the boss and tell him its gotta change. and if that dont work save a little money and buy yourself a $1000 side loader and either 1 big mule or a team of smaller ones and tell him to kiss your  ;D ;D ;D  i used to get 2 loads a day with the equipment i mentioned and a 50cc saw when i first started logging then i got the 038 with a 24"bar and thought it was a monster :D  you will be surprised how many small job and some that are not so small you get just because you are small and use horses or even a small tractor if you have one.  you wont get rich but with what you already know it will be no problem for you to make a decent living and you will amazed at how little timber you have to cut when your fuel and labor dont cost 700-800 per hour  :)  but regardless of what you do just please be careful :)

i think triple c logging would do just fine if you decide to start it :D :D :D

Corley5

I feel bad if I leave less than neat piles with the processor for the forwarder to pick up.  I couldn't even imagine leaving something like for a hand cutter to clean up.  I'd be looking for a new employer.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

I have no idea what is going on.
First I would have a talk with the boss. Out of hearing of anyone else to see what is going on. Just ask in a nice way what is going on. Probably will try to smooth things over and nothing will change.
Not to be mean,there is an old saying,If you're dumb enough to do,they are dumb enough to watch you do it.
Yes,I know about the money factor. I changed jobs and took quite a pay cut. I feel so much better now.
Good luck to you. You are not worth much all banged up in a hospital bed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

svart ole

Think hard about it as you are no good to the wife and kids dead or in a coma. Start looking for other work and if you have to just walk away. Any one that shows such a disregard for someones safety is not worth working for in my book. You have to do what you have to do when it comes down to it.
My wife said I collect junk, I told her I am a amateur industrial archaeologist just trying to save valuable artifacts.

Lumberjohn

I learned along time ago a good feller doesnt have any room for advancement. I mean, where do you go from there? Still, whether hourly or by the bushel I would ask for more money in that situation.
Put it on him instead of quitting. I guess it depends on how much of a mess, how often, can it be helped, etc, I dont know the whole situation.

sandsawmill14

a mess like that can always be helped or at least fixed by the skidder before you have to go in with a saw :)

Autocar

Just my opinion even more money dosen't fix criss crossed trees . I would talk with him and if it didn't change I would walk ! Around here good cutters are far and few between south of the Ohio river companys look for good fallers. Talking with sawmills and veneer buyers theres a shortage of good cutters. I ran into something like whate your dealing with thirty years or so ago. A fellow contacted me about hauling these white pine logs. He told me I just had to back up to them and start loading. I drive to the job and there was a hundred or more tree length trees it looked like a bunch of pick up sticks then to top it all off it was on a side hill and there was no way to keep the truck up right. Need less to say I left and gave him my two cents ! Like others said it's not worth getting hurt for a life time. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers,whats one more name to add to my prayer list off loggers.
Bill

treeslayer2003

Clinton you know where i stand on this.....you better than that crap. thats all ima say.

Corley5

I question how serious your boss is about his business.  There's the huge safety factor of course but there's also no efficiency in operating like that.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ron Scott

X2
Certainly not a professional operation for a hand cutter to work in. Is the operation covered by workman's comp and liability insurance?
~Ron

dgdrls

The "Boss" obviously doesn't care
Get out before you get hurt. 

Best
Dan

Mooseherder

I have about 3 weeks worth of work for you if you're available. :)

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Mooseherder on May 15, 2016, 09:13:26 PM
I have about 3 weeks worth of work for you if you're available. :)
if i had the work, i'd had him here. but i don,t......wish i did.

Thank You Sponsors!