iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where can I get a new "ruler" for my mill

Started by Rusticcreations, May 13, 2016, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

Is there a specific name for the "ruler" on my lil mill? The one that came on it is a sticker and fading away so I've been using an old ruler duck taped over the sticker.

Aren't there special "rulers" for sawmills and where can I get one.

I know I prolly sound stupid her but gotta learn somehow sometime

WDH

Woodmizer has two.  On is called the Standard scale, and the other is called the Hardwood scale.  They are magnetic and stick to your sawmill mast alongside the permanent scale on your mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

uler3161

I see in your other thread you have the Harbor Freight mill? I assume it'd be easy enough to adapt one from another manufacturer. But you have to know what you want to cut and how your mill is set up to read the scale.

It's not quite as easy as just ordering a scale for a mill. To give you an idea, I believe there's at least 4 scales for a woodmizer LT40:

1. Older model LT40 1"
2. Newer model LT40 1"
3. Softwood quarter
4. Hardwood quarter

You could probably use an older LT40 on a newer LT40 or vice versa, but I believe the numbers are going to be upside down. And I'm not sure if the older LT40 scale is as long as the newer one.

Thanks to a recent thread on the FF, I learned there is a difference between softwood and hardwood quarter scales. That thread was addressing a quarter scale that the owner thought was manufactured incorrectly because the 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4 marks didn't start from the end of the scale, but I'm not sure if it was ever determined to be the case.

Hope that's not too confusing.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Rusticcreations

So ya with all that said I think I'll find order one and learn it and just stick with it lol

kelLOGg

It is easy to make one by putting your own markings on a magnetic strip.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Josh3760

Any sawmill company will sell them to ya. I got mine from timber King for around $30 it has inches, 4\4, 6/4, and 8/4.
Josh

Thank You Sponsors!