iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill from ground up

Started by metalshaper, May 13, 2016, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

What a project. Are you going to have to get up steam to test the mill? Does the lane have babbet  bearings? I have 2 0ld cat power units that are serviceable. They came off my mill when I went electric and no one wants them. Also have a set of steel racks and pinons  new. Doug

Gearbox

Back to the water lime is a killer when it is heated it turns to slack lime . That is what eats the flues .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

bandmiller2

I'am not a boiler chemist but there are two boiler water problems first is water with crusting minerals in it that deposit on tubes and fireboxes and hamper heat flow. Second is water that wants to dissolve boiler metal, eat away and corrode. Up here in the northeast we have good water but it tends to be acid. My own boiler I would treat the water with soda ash until neutral Ph. As important is to blow down the boiler occasionally to remove sediment from the bottom. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

metalshaper

I have a Willys Jeep with flat belt pulley on it that I plan on testing the mill with before there is steam hooked up.  The lane does have babbitt bearings but most in great shape.  I do a lot of babbitt pouring on old machinery that I rebuild so there is no problem pouring new bearings if necessary.  I am hoping to run dual power to the mill, steam for most of the time and a diesel powered stationary engine for when the weather gets real cold and I am worried about not sawing enough to keep the boiler warm.   Still looking for parts and powerplants, so if you have any photos that would be great. 

metalshaper

Lucky for me that I have a lot of steam guys in the area, and a great water supply.  I am planning on putting in a dedicated well for the sawmill very close to where the steam engine will be sitting.  Water quality is perfect so hopefully it will keep the sediment to a minimum.  Thanks to everybody for contributing to the thread, always good to get another opinion on things.

moodnacreek

Metal shaper,    Can't do photos at this time.  The engines are: A 1949 318 cat [around 100 h.p. when new]  pony start on steel skids radiator thru clutch ready to use. And a 13000 154 h.p. about the same only not been run in a few years. It ran good but slobered some [wet exhaust]. They do this from not being kept in time. I have the specs.  I am located in Cornwall  N.Y. [west shore Hudson river rt. 84 nearby.  Doug      p.s. really love your project.

metalshaper

thanks for the info.  you can contact me directly at metalshaper@comcast.net if that is easier for you.  I will be in touch when I get a free moment.  thanks again.
Brian

metalshaper

Hello Everyone,
Finally have a few moments to work on the sawmill again.   Farm chores, regular paying jobs, etc.... have all kept me from making a lot of progress.   I have the carriage completed but the photos didn't work for some reason.   Working on the setworks right now and am short a couple of small items.  Hopefully somebody has some Lane #1 setworks parts laying around that they want to sell.   Anyway here are some photos of the progress, and I have set a time frame of this fall to be sawing.  I don't think I will have the building finished but I am hoping to have everything done to allow logs to be sawed when the weather gets a little cooler.   

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

A little more free time today to dedicate to the sawmill.  Carriage and setworks finally going together.   

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

moodnacreek

Forget your project?    So good to see you posting again.  Looks like a rack drive.  I have the iron from a no. 1 chase rack and chair style w/o notched set wheel.  Is your set wheel notched?  Also have setworks parts from a no.2 lane.  Doug           p.s. just bought a ford ww 2 jeep.

metalshaper

Yes, my Lane is a rack and pinion drive.  I really had to beat the bushes to get all the rack gear I needed for my carriage.  40' long on the drive side.  28' set beam.  Not sure what you mean about a notched set gear.  I will check if you can explain better.  I just got all the setworks finished today.  Had numerous shafts and gears but nothing worked out where I laid things out and there wasn't a good way to get 10' shafts in my lathe.  Cut the shafts, sleeved them and welded them out.  Been a long time but the set beam is finally moving on the carriage !!!  Now I just have to get 90' of beams welded together, foundations poured under the legs, and all the wheels installed. 
Good news on the GPW Jeep.  Don't know if you are aware but I have been a Jeep restorer for over 30 years.  Working on a bunch of Willys right now in the shop.  If you go to the youtube site and type in metalshaper you should get right to my channel.  Have some sawmill stuff on my youtube site as well. 

moodnacreek

From your photos it looks like notches on the set wheel. Look at the raised rim and there should be a notch every 5 teeth that does nothing. I think all lanes had them and it was part of the patent at one time. Later all the new England sawmills copied this feature. It is said lane invented the ratcheting set works. Before that it was screw set works. Any how when you get all the bugs out and start to saw you will be so glad you got a lane. These notches indicate a starting point saw down to a last board size without doing the math. It's a cheater system lane invented.  The jeep is a junker  that runs and drives well.  Hope to come over some day,Doug

moodnacreek

Just reread your post about the length of rack gear.  Wire rope drive replaced rack and pinion except on real long mills, must of been the cable sag issue. I also was told that ship yards used these long mills and used a special under floor double friction feed. the regular set up would have a 1sm  6" friction and belt gig. The option to that was the glover feed [a big box that set on top of the husk] and later the lane centery feed, about the same as glover.  I remember the old timers, when I got a lane saying: now your sawing by the notches.  Of course I didn't know what they ment.  Ask the old boys over your way about sawing with the notches.  [or contact me]     Doug

Thank You Sponsors!