iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill from ground up

Started by metalshaper, May 13, 2016, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalshaper

Legs getting welded to main husk frame. 

metalshaper

finish welded, and primed with my favorite primer....Red Lead. 

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

Carefully setting it on the footings.  the guy near the transit is my buddy Bill.  He is the guy I got the sawmill from and he is helping me in the reassembly of it. 

metalshaper

After careful pouring of the footings, precision cutting of the legs, and gently setting it down on the steel plates, a quick check with the transit shows the entire husk from is less than 1/32" out of level. 

metalshaper

Welding the legs to the 12"x12" steel plates.  Since I was going to be in the dirt for this part of the project I decided to get out the suitcase wire feeder and run some flux core wire, instead of stick welding with 7018. 

metalshaper

finished welding and getting ready to prime.  Rain on the way so I need to get some primer to the fresh sandblasted plates. 

metalshaper

More red lead and plenty of time to spare before the rain.  This is where the project is at the current time.  Husk is in great shape and that will be getting installed next.  At the same time I am going to be pouring footings for the building that will cover the entire mill.   Since I am not sawing yet I am putting out some feelers to see if there is anybody local to me that might be interested in doing some sawing so I can get the roof over this project. 

tnaz

Thanks for all the pictures, looking Pretty DanG good.  8)

Keep up the good work,

Terry

fishfighter

That is one heck of a project. Way to cool.

Ox

Within a 1/32"?  That's amazing to me.  Guess we're a little more crude around here.  :D

Awesome project and thanks for taking the time to share the pictures with all of us.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

sealark37

Somebody is going to sweat their socks wet feeding that steam boiler!     Regards, Clark

metalshaper

still making slow but steady progress on the sawmill build.  Summer temperatures are in the 90's for the next seven days so early morning is the only time to get things done.  This morning I decided to move the husk onto its final resting place.  some photos of the move.   

metalshaper

This 210 john deere  backhoe can easily lift 3000 pounds and load a dump truck all day.  This cast iron husk really made it struggle to get the job done.  Not the fanciest pick, but it balanced good and made the trip out back without any trouble.   

metalshaper

metalshaper

Glad I made the base as heavy as I did.  Husk is nearing its final home.

metalshaper

Was able to get some help from my wife, Maria today.  She has summer time off and I am always able to get a helping hand when I need it.  Sure does make jobs like this go much more smoothly. 

metalshaper

Husk is sitting solid on the base.  Not in exact position yet but easy to move so I can mark some holes and drill for some bolts to hold it down.   

tnaz

Looking good from Fl..  Can't wait to see it making lumber. :D 8)

SineWave

Wow, what a great project. Looking forward to following progress.

I was just up to the annual show at the Tuckahoe Steam and Gas Association in Easton, MD. They've got some great steam engines there.

Will you need to have that boiler and/or engine inspected by ASME or whoever, and also have a licensed operating engineer to run it? What pressure steam does it call for?

fishfighter

Progress. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

metalshaper

Here in Connecticut and other states you can run your steam engine for your own use with no inspection or license.  If you want to run it while there are other people watching then you have to have a yearly inspection.  In my area there is a push to get all the old boilers out of service.  I am going to have a pressure test and inspection when the time comes.  The boiler I have is a 150 psi unit.  I have talked with other steam sawyers and they usually run anywhere from 75 to 100 psi. 

Kbeitz

At one time I did boiler testing...
I still got the hydro pump somewhere.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

metalshaper

Hello again everyone,
still making progress on the Lane #1 sawmill project.  busy summer but I am back at it and just took delivery of 8200 pounds of steel to replace my rotten carriage, set beam, and any other wooden parts.  Photos coming as soon as I can get my temper mental camera working again.  I am in the process of trying to scare up some racking as I am extending the length of my carriage by 10 feet.  If anybody is out there with any spare Lane #1 rack and pinion parts please contact me.  Cold weather has moved in but that gives me time in the shop to fabricate all the parts I need.  Will post photos as thing happen.  Until then I am on the lookout for parts........ help!!1

Thank You Sponsors!