iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill from ground up

Started by metalshaper, May 13, 2016, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalshaper

Finally have a few free moments between farm chores, and making a living, to get going on my steam powered sawmill.  Last fall there was a lot of earth moving to make way for everything.   Also cleared a very large area for log storage.  Not great at posting photos but will try to include a few with some comments on what is going on.  This first photo is of some sandblasted parts.  Not sure if anyone remembers but I am installing a Lane mill powered by a steam engine.  More to follow. 

metalshaper

Some photos of what I am going to sit the husk on.   I do a lot of metal fabrication and while this is a bit over kill I had it laying around so figured I would use it.  18" I beam left over from another project. 

metalshaper

metalshaper

Digging for the footings.  Had a bunch of plastic barrels that I normally keep pig and chicken food in, but when they get worn out they make great concrete forms.  I cut the bottom out and use them like the cardboard concrete tubes.  I needed an 18" diameter and these barrels are 20" in diameter so they will work out perfect.

metalshaper

I know everything looks like a disaster right now but give me some time and it will all make sense.  Since I have some very long timber on my property and have access to more I am going to make a large area to load logs onto the carriage.  More of the 18" I beam to the rescue.  This beam is going to allow a 40' opening where logs are loaded. 

metalshaper

I believe you can never have too much space.  This is looking out from the mill area to my almost finished log storage area.  When I get more time and am further along I will add more photos.  have the steam engine almost fully stripped and will move on to sandblasting and painting that sometime this summer.  And if time allows I will have the building underway to keep everything out of the elements.  More to follow. 

Ga Mtn Man

Looks like you've made a great start on an exciting project.  I'm looking forward to following along.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

plowboyswr

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

thecfarm

Looking forward to some more progress!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

This is an exciting project!  Thanks for letting us all tag along.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

ozarkgem

any pics of the steam engine?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

btulloh

Very interesting project!  I'm looking forward to following your progress.  That is quite an undertaking.

I think it's great that you are preserving a piece of history.  Good luck.

(Here are a couple links to a steam powered mill here in Richmond VA you may find interesting.  I never get tired of seeing it in action. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHEADDBnHtc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHUMsblyNws
HM126

metalshaper

Here is a photo of steam engine from moving day. 

metalshaper

metalshaper

metalshaper

The engine is now free and turning freely.  All babbitt bearings are in perfect shape.  I have stripped off all of the piping and am re plumbing the entire unit with the correct fittings and pipe.   Sandblasting and painting are hopefully on schedule for this summer at some point.  Will post photos of progress as it happens. 

Kbeitz

Wow.... That thing needs wheels...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

That is a beautiful monstrosity of epic proportions.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Picky2016

Wholly jeeps, that's old school! Will be watching.

metalshaper

yes it sure does need wheels.  I have been searching for some for a long time but just can't seem to come up with any.  Farquhar made this steam engine in portable, meaning with wheels, and what they called a sill boiler.  This is the sill boiler but it has all the mounts for wheels.  If I don't find wheels I will just drag it into place and set on some concrete sills.  More to follow.

Kbeitz

Penns cave in Pa. has a sale every June and that would be the best place to find large wheels
for steam engines.

http://www.nittanyantique.org/spring.php

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ozarkgem

That is the coolest sawmill project I have ever seen. Wish you were closer. I would like to help on it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Mooseherder

Our Husk frames will be cousins. ;)

metalshaper

more work on the sawmill build.  Long way to go before I start making sawdust but this is where time spent on setup will pay off in the long run.  still working on getting my husk platform setup.  Photos to follow.  footings finally finished.

Thank You Sponsors!