The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: sawmill from ground up  (Read 7918 times)

Offline moodnacreek

• I'm new!
Re: sawmill from ground up
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2017, 09:47:49 pm »
Metal shaper,    Can't do photos at this time.  The engines are: A 1949 318 cat [around 100 h.p. when new]  pony start on steel skids radiator thru clutch ready to use. And a 13000 154 h.p. about the same only not been run in a few years. It ran good but slobered some [wet exhaust]. They do this from not being kept in time. I have the specs.  I am located in Cornwall  N.Y. [west shore Hudson river rt. 84 nearby.  Doug      p.s. really love your project.

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2017, 05:51:43 am »
thanks for the info.  you can contact me directly at metalshaper@comcast.net if that is easier for you.  I will be in touch when I get a free moment.  thanks again.
Brian

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2017, 10:22:44 am »
Hello Everyone,
Finally have a few moments to work on the sawmill again.   Farm chores, regular paying jobs, etc.... have all kept me from making a lot of progress.   I have the carriage completed but the photos didn't work for some reason.   Working on the setworks right now and am short a couple of small items.  Hopefully somebody has some Lane #1 setworks parts laying around that they want to sell.   Anyway here are some photos of the progress, and I have set a time frame of this fall to be sawing.  I don't think I will have the building finished but I am hoping to have everything done to allow logs to be sawed when the weather gets a little cooler.   

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:18 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:40 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:04 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:26 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2017, 10:24:48 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2017, 10:26:15 am »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2017, 04:22:48 pm »
A little more free time today to dedicate to the sawmill.  Carriage and setworks finally going together.   

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2017, 04:23:35 pm »

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2017, 04:24:01 pm »

Offline moodnacreek

• I'm new!
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2017, 01:10:24 pm »
Forget your project?    So good to see you posting again.  Looks like a rack drive.  I have the iron from a no. 1 chase rack and chair style w/o notched set wheel.  Is your set wheel notched?  Also have setworks parts from a no.2 lane.  Doug           p.s. just bought a ford ww 2 jeep.

Offline metalshaper

« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2017, 03:48:49 pm »
Yes, my Lane is a rack and pinion drive.  I really had to beat the bushes to get all the rack gear I needed for my carriage.  40' long on the drive side.  28' set beam.  Not sure what you mean about a notched set gear.  I will check if you can explain better.  I just got all the setworks finished today.  Had numerous shafts and gears but nothing worked out where I laid things out and there wasn't a good way to get 10' shafts in my lathe.  Cut the shafts, sleeved them and welded them out.  Been a long time but the set beam is finally moving on the carriage !!!  Now I just have to get 90' of beams welded together, foundations poured under the legs, and all the wheels installed. 
Good news on the GPW Jeep.  Don't know if you are aware but I have been a Jeep restorer for over 30 years.  Working on a bunch of Willys right now in the shop.  If you go to the youtube site and type in metalshaper you should get right to my channel.  Have some sawmill stuff on my youtube site as well. 

Offline moodnacreek

• I'm new!
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2017, 06:56:23 pm »
From your photos it looks like notches on the set wheel. Look at the raised rim and there should be a notch every 5 teeth that does nothing. I think all lanes had them and it was part of the patent at one time. Later all the new England sawmills copied this feature. It is said lane invented the ratcheting set works. Before that it was screw set works. Any how when you get all the bugs out and start to saw you will be so glad you got a lane. These notches indicate a starting point saw down to a last board size without doing the math. It's a cheater system lane invented.  The jeep is a junker  that runs and drives well.  Hope to come over some day,Doug

Offline moodnacreek

• I'm new!
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2017, 09:32:25 pm »
  Just reread your post about the length of rack gear.  Wire rope drive replaced rack and pinion except on real long mills, must of been the cable sag issue. I also was told that ship yards used these long mills and used a special under floor double friction feed. the regular set up would have a 1sm  6" friction and belt gig. The option to that was the glover feed [a big box that set on top of the husk] and later the lane centery feed, about the same as glover.  I remember the old timers, when I got a lane saying: now your sawing by the notches.  Of course I didn't know what they ment.  Ask the old boys over your way about sawing with the notches.  [or contact me]     Doug