iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar?

Started by Satamax, August 17, 2017, 08:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody. A friend has fell a poplar (may be populus nigra,)

About 2.5 or 3 ft diameter.

Is it Worth getting to make table slabs?

Thanks guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

LittleJohn

If I don't know if I will have a buyer for a specific slab, I cut the slab so that I can re-saw it into thinner usable lumber if needed.

...for me that means I will either cut a slab at 2-1/8" or 3-1/4"; so I can re-saw into 1" dimensional lumber

Satamax

Hi littlejohn. Well, poplar? As dimensional lumber?

Here, we don't even burn them, cut and let them rot is about all what we do with it.

That's why i asked. Table slab is all i can see for it.

Thanks again.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Percy

Years ago I had some  big poplars similar to what you have. Gottem free. No one wanted them. I made beams for re-enforcing a floor where the forklift would drive with heavy lifts of lumber. They were dry in their position and off the ground. The building and floor is still standing and under stress every day. Worked better than I thought. While cutting them, I noticed they(beams) looked pretty nice. If you can keep the things from cracking, id giver a whirl.  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bandmill Bandit

Poplar isnt just Poplar!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus

Aspen is a member of the poplar family and is a very under rated wood along with a few of the other types that I am less familiar with.

Aspen make real good flooring and paneling.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys .

Well remember that Aspen light have not crosded the Atlantic yet.

I think it might be populus nigra var italica. As i am on the border.

Klicker

Around here people with horses like it for stalls. I once milled 7.5 cords for a cabinet maker to use for drawers. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

Thank You Sponsors!