iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log securing system?

Started by ray299, May 12, 2016, 07:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ray299

The last part of my build for the band saw mill is the system to hold the log. I've seen different ways and they all seem pretty self explanatory and easy to make... My question is, does anyone have any tips or do this but not that advice? Or want to share a pic of what you got that holds the log while cutting it? Thanks!

Kbeitz

I have both the cam and screw locks on my mill.
I'm not really happy with ether one.
My next step will be some kind of hydraulic clamp.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

For a manual mill like I have, I have cam clamps. Kind of a pain in the backside. :( More so if you have a log with a lot of sweep in it. :( That is when I use some wedges to help set the log on the bed. Then I can come back and use the clamps.

kelLOGg

I use cam clamps and wedges, too. It is surprising how small a wedge can hold a big log.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

york

Did somebody say Hydraulic ? Here is a simple way to Dog logs-not mine,is on another mill....

Albert

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ray299

Sounds like I should plan on making some wedges... You guys have some interesting cam locks.... I'm going to have to think about this over Tue weekend. My plan is to have the majority of the mill done within two weeks. I need a lot of boards for several projects! Thanks for your help.

Remle

My neighbor has a Linn Lumber Mill, it uses a square tube with a sliding piece held by a chain and spring for tension, simple easy and effective. You might google them and watch the videos to see it in action.

Kbeitz

As you can see in my picture I'm using the screw in type.
Behind the dog is a round hole so I can slip in the cam style dog.
I use both.Second picture I'm using the cam.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Satamax

One thing i thought about, was to use a hi-lift to make my dogs.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ray299

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 13, 2016, 09:04:17 PM

It looks like your cam lock is a pipe with a large washer welded on the end? And a rod to put a cheater pipe on to roll the cam? I've never seen these cams in use so I'm having a hard time grasping how they lock the log... wouldn't they just roll back away from the log? Or is it that you put so much tension on the washer with the cheater pipe that it sticks? Curious...

Kbeitz

Quote from: ray299 on May 19, 2016, 07:00:14 AM

It looks like your cam lock is a pipe with a large washer welded on the end? And a rod to put a cheater pipe on to roll the cam? I've never seen these cams in use so I'm having a hard time grasping how they lock the log... wouldn't they just roll back away from the log? Or is it that you put so much tension on the washer with the cheater pipe that it sticks? Curious...

Yep it's a BIG FAT washer. I think around 3/8" thick. You cam the washer over untill it centers on the high
spot. Then it wont roll back. I stoled the idea from woodmizer.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ray299

Quote from: Kbeitz on May 21, 2016, 09:29:53 PM
Quote from: ray299 on May 19, 2016, 07:00:14 AM

Yep it's a BIG FAT washer. I think around 3/8" thick. You cam the washer over untill it centers on the high
spot. Then it wont roll back. I stoled the idea from woodmizer.

Thanks. And what would you say is the total distance the cam moves when turning it from short side toe high spot?

Kbeitz

1-1/2"

This is Woodmizers... I would guess they have around 3" of cam.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!