iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Price on Anchorseal

Started by brendonv, May 12, 2016, 04:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

Where do you guys find the best pricing on Anchorseal in the five gallon pail?

I'm going to start collecting logs for my next timber frame and want to take the best precautions.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Hiway40frank

You have to hunt for the best price but Amazon.com gives you a variaty of vendors to chose from and they tend to get the best price. Depending on where you live shipping might make or break the deal you're getting.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I used to buy it direct from Anchor Seal but I'm not sure you can do that anymore.
Like 40Frank said, check your websites for the best prices and pay attention to shipping charges.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I buy it directly from UC-Coatings. I think a 5 gallon bucket was $92 including shipping the last I bought.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ricker

Just brought 5 gallons from uc coatings and it's still $92 including the shipping

YellowHammer

I haven't been able to find a cheaper price than through UC Coatings, for the 5 gallon buckets.  We normally buy several at a time, and shipping is dependable and free.

I don't know about anybody else, but I don't particularly like the colored versions because I can't really see the end grain to optimize my sawing.  I also prefer the original formula, Anchorseal Classic.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

brendonv

Thanks for the replies. It does seem like UCC has the best shipped price. Free shipping is a big deal considering the size and weight of 5 gallons.

www.VorioTree.com

Brian C.

Just bought some direct from UC Coatings and it was $92 including shipping.

terrifictimbersllc

5 pails used to get a decent discount from the 1 pail price. Still free shipping.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

gimpy

I've been considering starting to buy the bad mixed batches of paint. Stores will make mistakes and discount the paint significantly. Sometimes it's an overrun of quantity and you can benefit from it.

Just saying, $20 a gallon v $2-5 per gallon means real money.

Is there really an advantage to sticking with Anchor Seal?
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Ianab

The wax emulsion is a far better end sealant than paint.

Paint will slow down the end grain drying out, but not as much as wax. Maybe it will be enough to help, maybe not?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

I bought a bucket in'14, it was $87 shipped to MA.

Are you thinking about some hardwood for the next frame?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Ya Dave, a mix. Id like to do each of the three bents a different type of wood.   

www.VorioTree.com

WDH

Paint is not useless as an end sealer, just close. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

MbfVA

Quick update: Offered now for $95 shipped by UC direct, clear; $98 for the colors. I would suggest buying food coloring and doing your own  if colors are your thing, cheaper.

1 not 2 for me, but they have both.

If anyone in FF in the Charlottesville/Richmond Virginia area would like to go in on a 55 gallon drum, I found $634 shipped from another company, and we could ask UC Coatings, too.  I'd be willing to buy it and dispense it with a drum pump, etc, maybe for a couple of bucks per gal more than cost to take up waste & eq/overhead cost.  The stuff is touted as freeze resistant so it could sit in one of our barns.
www.ordinary.com (really)

btulloh

I'd take five gallons or so.  That's about as much as I need to have on hand.  Maybe some others will chime in.
HM126

POSTON WIDEHEAD

5 gallons will last me a year. Most of my sawing is custom sawing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

wesdor

MbfVA. They may say it is freeze resistant but in my experience you best not get to freezing or it is ruined. I had a what was left of a gallon in my shed last winter and it got cold enough to ruin it. 

Now I keep anchor seal in basement during cold weather.

longtime lurker

Look for other brands because that seems expensive.

I can get Anchorseal here but $$$.

I can also get "Caltex Timber Sealer" or " Mobilcer 195". Caltex is the Australian division of Chevron, Mobil is the Australian division of ExxonMobil.

All the same as Anchorseal, half the price. I'd be talking with your gas guys about what they might be able to get for you.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

moodnacreek

For the hobbyist  use old latex house paint and news paper.  If you are cutting your own logs and will not be end trimming green lumber; carry the end sealer with the chain saw. After you cut a few logs to length, stop and apply sealer before the checking starts. This is the most effective way.

MbfVA

Doing it in the woods sounds like good advice, but the newspaper might get pulled off  ::).   That's an interesting amendment to the paint suggestion, however.

I have asked UC for a direct shipped price on a drum.  I will also ask them for written advice on whether it is freeze proof.  Since it is water-based, freezing certainly seems like a concerning possibility.  In another thread someone said something about adding antifreeze. Again, I will ask UC.

Getting a 55 gallon drum inside a heated building at our farm will be a pain.   At this point it would be the house alone. There is a basement but the steps are over 200 years old and a nasty hand cart negotiation.   We had a -5°F night back in 2015.  I hear loud Canadian accented laughing filtering down from Maple leaf land.  Yeah, yeah, ok....

I have lots of junk paint around so I might just try that method with a log or 2 and see how it compares, with the same species & diameter of wood, cut at the same time as one I coat with anchorseal.   In another thread, someone mentioned using roofing paint, but they also mentioned that it was hard on bandsaw blades.

I think mobil chemical is still headquartered near here. I sold a house to the president many years ago, will have to ask.  Unless it's manufactured locally, the shipping cost is killer going from one Conner to another. Thank you Siri, that's supposed to be confident, continent.

There is a lot to consider here on what I thought was a very simple subject.

I'll throw in a family style chicken dinner discount coupon for my friend from Midlothian (and others) when he picks his up, if I get this going.  Thanks for the dialog, we will get this one figured out.

WDH

Quote from: MbfVA on November 27, 2017, 02:12:50 AM
I have lots of junk paint around so I might just try that method with a log or 2 and see how it compares, with the same species & diameter of wood, cut at the same time as one I coat with anchorseal.   

It does not work well compared to anchorseal.  Not even close. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

landscraper

I use W.R. Meadows 1300 water based wax emulsion in lieu of Anchorseal.  I can get 5 gallons for $38 and it brushes/rolls/sprays well.  It has worked very well for me.  It looks and behaves like Anchorseal.  I don't have to pay shipping because a local construction supply company stocks it. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

MbfVA

I went looking for WR Meadows, in Richmond Virginia,  no luck locally, but a supplier told me about this one:

http://www.kaufmanproducts.net/html/productsfr.html

Opinions?   Has anyone used Kaufman 446 ( available locally to us for $355 for 55 gals) ?  Or any other Kaufman product?  Comments on the comparative composition?  To their knowledge, no one has ever used their products for wood.

No one seems to carry Anchorseal around here.   There is an Anchorseal dealer in Remington, VA, so perhaps member NativeWolf knows of them & their pricing.

I just got drum pricing from UC Coatings, direct from the mfr.

For "Classic" Anchorseal, clear with antifreeze added: $363+ frt ($136 to us, we have forks for unloading);
For "Hybrid" Anchorseal2, clear, with antifreeze added: $321.75+same frt

The antifreeze not withstanding, they do not recommend letting it freeze.  I found that a bit confusing. What does antifreeze do in this case?

They have a warehouse about 200 miles away, near enough to another vendor we deal with (really close to FF mbr Don P, too), so we could pick it up.

Just some FYI. 

longtime lurker

Its water based.  When it freezes the waxes and emulsifiers will separate and drop out of suspension.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!