iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what production

Started by ehp, May 12, 2016, 03:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

I have been running the multitek 2020 LDSC this week, how much wood should I be getting per hour/day with it . I'm working by myself so I spend a fair amount of time loading the green chain and leveling the load in the bin , 22 foot long bin and holds 7 bush cords , today I was 3 hours and 45 minutes and that's about as fast as I can do it I think , wood mainly is green ask that is dead from EAB and about 12 inch diameter down to 4 inch .Pretty much all the upper top part of the tree so lots of limbs and knots . I never ran a processor like this , the others were all circular and a lot faster that this . So is that even close to what it should cut ?

BargeMonkey

Whats a "bush cord" equate to ? Friend of mine has an older 2040, 3/4 pitch, he will do a true cord in 40-45mins in the truck by himself.

ehp

4 ft by 4 ft by 8 ft piled is a bush cord  , Or using 190 cubic feet when dump in

millcreek40

I have a 2040 Multitek. I run it alone and load the deck myself. In wood like you are taking about it takes me about 1:1-2 hrs to fill my two cord truck. That is throwing big chunks back and respliting it. If I am doing big wood for outside stoves cut around 22" & split a little bigger I can fill it in 45 mins. It really depends on the wood.  I split everything I bring out of the woods from 3"-30".  Good luck
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

BargeMonkey

Same volume, same formula, just had to make sure. I've got a friend who still talks in face cords. The guy who loaded my 4-239 I bought to re-power my processor tried to snowball me and then let the cat out he was talking F.C volume, I think guys do it just to feel better about themselves.  :D
7 cord, in just under 4hrs, loading yourself on a short live deck is still blowing my processor out of the water. I like hearing what your doing for time, and how that 3/4 is, mine is getting ready for a overhaul in a few weeks, new pump, 3/4 conversion and extend the live deck again to hold 1.5-2 full cord. I know where a practically new Bell circle saw is sitting, if that's what your looking for. 2 guys went and got big quick, I sense another sterling tri-axle showing up from a fire sale.  :D

Mapleman

I've got a muiltitek 2040xp and last year kept track of the hours on the mill and total cords processed and worked out that I averaged just about 2 cords an hour doing around 250 cords.  This did not include time loading the deck. 
"The older I get, the better I used to be."

ehp

This processor was pretty slow and the 3/4 cut even worse , I kind of thought the pump was gone but put pressure gauge on it and it seems fine . Did some troubles shooting and found the safety valve that will not allow the grapple to move until the chainsaw bar is back up was not letting the proper oil flow and was robbing pressure from the rest of the things on that valve bank . I put a second spring on the chainsaw bar so it pulls the bar back up faster as well, a lot less waiting time to start the next cut . I'm going to build a new spitting wedge and modded the whole end of the machine , to much wood is sitting at the wedge and the wedge design is to wide and makes to much wood want to turn around . I will do this once I get sometime in the summer . I only got a couple more bins to cut then back to logging . As far as filing the 3/4 , I file probably different than the rest of you guys but I can make that chain cut a lot faster than new and has nothing to do with touching the rackers . I still think I'm going to try .404 as chain serts should have their new .404 ready . I will run a 17 tooth gear and mod a D149 tail end bar to do the job for a test as see if I like it , about $200 for the parts so not a big cost if I donot like it with stock chain, then if I like it go with chain sert

BargeMonkey

What's this 3/4 filing secret you speak of ??? , I promise to tell no one.  :D :D :D 
Couple questions while the 3/4 subject is going on. What's the usable length of bar on your multiteks, and what #pin sprocket are you using ? Anything special you guys have noticed or encountered with a 3/4 processor ???

millcreek40

Mine uses a 40 inch bar  I have cut wood about 30 inch  not sure on the sprocket  all that I know about 3/4 chain is it cuts very well,stays sharp for a long time. I regularly cut 60 to 70 full cord before sharpening. I don't belive you will come close to that with 404  I might be wrong??  How much can you cut with a 404???

ehp

Mine has a 36 inch bar on it , most have 40 inch , I can cut about 25 or so inches in diameter of wood with mine,  I'm using a 9 tooth gear , they make a 10 tooth but my pump is not strong enough to turn it proper . Mine has a GB bar on it and seems ok. I was told it cut about 250 cord before I got it . It seems to handle the sand I have here fairly good . The chain is a lot better chain than what you get for a chainsaw in hardness . I will PM you on the filing  ;D

BargeMonkey

Info is huge, and thank you.  I get about 75-80 cord max on a bar, never mind sharpening.  >:(   if my delimber didn't have .404 I would be giving it away on CL because I hate it so much. I'm not the only one.
We sat down and crunched #'s, it's not worth throwing down 100k for a new circle saw. Mechanic is starting the "Frankenstein conversion" next week. basically a new 3 section pump, Timbco 3/4 saw unit, update the splitter cylinder  and make the livedeck a true 20' long. Grapple is newer built-rite, engine was pulled from a 440B skidder and nicely transplanted after the original 2.3 industrial gave up after 7000 hrs.  :D
Just sizing up what you guys are running for bar length, I don't see ever putting a log over 2' thru my machine but may put the 33" bars on just so I keep 1 bar on the shelf for both machines.

millcreek40

A new 40" bar is about $300  I have run about 500 full cord through mine in about 1  1_2 hrs  still would be on the same bar if my helper didn't bend it  . He got the chain stuck in a log   the grapple is much stronger than the bar. I put on a new gb bar about 150 cord ago. The paint is just starting to wear off the middle of the bar.yes that's full cord

ehp

In my area you will not cut very long before you have to file , blow sand everywhere , in the bark, in the wood , its nasty stuff but the 3/4 inch will far out cut any chain out there in this stuff, normal .404 you might cut a log up before you have to file . I'm getting anywhere from 5 to 10 cord before it starts to get dull , this is why I'm going to go carbide . Anybody ever use the Gem bars ? I'm going to need a bar so just looking . Mine is a GB bar that on it and seems to work pretty good but cannot find another

coxy

Quote from: millcreek40 on May 13, 2016, 06:41:28 PM
A new 40" bar is about $300  I have run about 500 full cord through mine in about 1  1_2 hrs  still would be on the same bar if my helper didn't bend it  . He got the chain stuck in a log   the grapple is much stronger than the bar. I put on a new gb bar about 150 cord ago. The paint is just starting to wear off the middle of the bar.yes that's full cord
you can cut&split 500 full cord in an hour to hour and a half  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

millcreek40

Was suppose to be yrs. gotta love auto correct

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on May 13, 2016, 10:09:17 PM
Quote from: millcreek40 on May 13, 2016, 06:41:28 PM
you can cut&split 500 full cord in an hour to hour and a half  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I would spend 200K for a processor that quick.  :D. I know what he means. I see how much wood goes thru my CTR decksaw, Timbco saw, and know someone with a 2040. I'm not saying it's 3x faster, just costs less and less problems in the long run. I'm 350 for a 33" sawbar. I'm 100% behind having 1 bar on the shelf and 2 rolls of 11H / BC to keep 3 machines running. Twist a dealers arm and buy 6 bars ahead at a time.  :D ;D ;)

If you want new GB bars call Wallingford in ME. I called on some new .404 bars and they had no problem selling to me directly. Had good luck with GB bars yrs ago. These oregon .404 bars suck. The oregon 3/4 bars I have hold up very well, have some CSI bars I bought and they are softer steel, bend easier and tips are more expensive.

coxy

Quote from: millcreek40 on May 13, 2016, 10:52:55 PM
Was suppose to be yrs. gotta love auto correct
had to brake your chops :) :) :)

Mapleman

I have a 40" Oregon bar on my 2040, got it from Comstock - great people to deal with.  Its wearing very well, it was showing a slight dip in the middle at about 400 cords, so I flipped it over.  I'm pretty sure I can do 1000 cords before it needs replacing.  In clean winter skid wood I'm getting at least 50 cords per sharpening on the 3/4 chain, that chain is hard.   Woods dirt drops that to maybe 30 or 40 cords and wood covered with heavy gravel (I only had that once, had some words with my supplier over that!) I get about 10.

I too would like to hear EHP's secret to filing 3/4 chain.  I was doing it by hand with  5/16 files, but it took a long time with less that great results.  I bought a chain grinder that gets me better and more consistent results but I'm curious about different sharpening methods

Hope this helps.

Dave

"The older I get, the better I used to be."

ehp

Sorry guys, my best friend died yesterday so really not up much for talking ok

Ed_K

I'm sorry to here that ehp.
Ed K

BargeMonkey

Sorry to hear that, that's extremely rough and I don't blame you.

millcreek40

Sorry to hear about your loss

ehp

ok I will try and tell you what I do on filing , first and for most , a few of you guys may know me and what I have done for years and that is I can  file a chain. I donot file many race chains for the guys in the stihl series or guys from the other parts of the world  like I did  years ago but I still file for my good friends and they do very well. Ok here we go, first look at the 11H chain, find the corner of the tooth . If you watch what your doing you can move that corner out towards the side of the tooth and that makes the chain a lot closer to chisel than semi chisel . To do this you have to file down hill not flat or up hill and a grinder is not going to do this very well either . This also will cause you to get more hook in your chain on side plate , this will cause your chain to dull abit faster so to fix that problem you file your top plate at about 20 degrees , that will make the corner of the tooth a lot stronger . You donot cut the rackers as .060 racker bites pretty good , In this dead ash I like .055 better . The chips are far better is size and chain clears a lot better than a new 11H does , it cuts the wood not tear it like I see from lots of guys .  I'm not saying its better for what you guys want and need but this is what I do

BargeMonkey

Thank you. Willing to try anything to improve performance. I've been grinding my 3/4 lately, never donated blood till I filed some 3/4 late one night more tired than I should have been.  :D

treeslayer2003

ehp i agree with you 100% on rakers. i no longer drop rakers on the falling saws chain now that i found the right tooth angles. your right on the wood tearing instead of cutting as well. even though i need glasses to see it lol. when i get back to using the bell i will try your method out on that semi chisel.

Thank You Sponsors!