iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Installing new cable on 3 pt hitch logging winch?

Started by John Mc, May 11, 2016, 02:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Somewhere on here I read a post about installing a new cable on a 3 Pt Hitch logging winch. There was some trick to which way you wound it or something that was supposed to save you a lot of hassles during installation or during use (I forget which). 

I can't find that post now. Anyone got any good tips before I dig in to this?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Straightgrain

I wouldn't dare without a tech manual for your particular model; but laying-out the cable and letting it spin as it is fed and adding a little weight (like any winch) seems appropriate. 

Addendum: that area between the winch and the tractor is technically a confined space; if your PTO driveline is not equipped with a safety sleeve; take extra precautions (no loose clothing etc).
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

thecfarm

Once you hook it to the drum,I would hook it up to something not too heavy,but enough to keep it tight. I unwound the cable to let it wind onto the drum straight.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Maine372

how the end of the cable attaches to the drum is specific to your make and model.

the trick to keeping it 'unsnarly' is to make it look like a cassette tape (am I dating myself?). reel it on the winch the same way its reeling off the roll. work with the memory in the cable rather than against it. typically we run a pipe through the cable reel and hang it off something so it can freespool.

the other trick, once its on, is to hook the cable to a tree and drive away. then winch the tractor to the tree while dragging the brakes.

John Mc

Thanks guys. I have the manual, and already knew how to attach it to the drum. It was the spooling trick that G_man linked that I had read and couldn't remember. That description is actually much more detailed than the one I remember reading a while back.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Found out the hard way today that unwinding cable when it is not on a spool is a royal pain in the behind (mine was just a tight coil with about a 6" I.D. and no spool). I wanted to unwind it, rather than just flipping it off the end, so it wouldn't get twists in it. I put a pipe through the middle, supported the ends and tried to unwind. It made a real rat's nest around the pipe. Had to get my wife to help me unwind it as I spooled it onto the winch drum. Hopefully, I won't have to do this again any time soon.

pwrwagontom

Never give an inch

Thank You Sponsors!