iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trucking

Started by Bert, May 11, 2016, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

We need a hauling board on the Forestry Forum! :D Anyhow, I have an international flatbed rated at 25900 GVWR I use to haul lumber in PA. According to what Ive read any vehicle over 10001 lbs in pa needs a DOT #. Do I need a business name on the door? Id rather not. I have the DOt #,CDL, medical card, etc just wondering about the business name. I haul for myself only.
Saw you tomorrow!

brendonv

I think not for hire on the door takes care of those issues. Not 100% sure tho
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Bert

Im hoping. I have two "not for Hire" magnets on the truck as it stands. I operate as a sole prop. What will I put on the door? "Bert- see my schedule C"   ;D
Saw you tomorrow!

Den Socling

This is off the subject a little but a couple months ago a guy was bringing us a trailer load of lumber pulled with a pick up. PA State Troopers stopped him as soon as he crossed the Ohio line. Next time he came he had a company name and "not for hire" on his truck. What a bunch of crapola!

sawguy21

If you are hauling your own wood for personal use a company name or even a company should not be required but I am not familiar with PA rules. A 'not for hire' decal should suffice. Check with the DMV. If you are selling and/or delivering for profit then that's another story.
Years ago my buddy got stopped and asked where his motor carrier plate was. Told the cop he didn't need one, the guy that owned the truck owned the lumber. It wasn't quite true, his boss 'leased' the truck to whoever he was hauling for to avoid paying for the expensive plate :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

coxy

your dmv must be better than ours they don't know up from down  :D :D the best thing is to go right to the dot cops and they will tell you what you need to do and how to do it that's what I do when I need info go to the horses mouth not the horses        ;D

starmac

Hope you get the right info from the dot too.  I called the scales in New Mexico once to find out exactly what I needed for an oversize permit. Now this scales was just a few miles from my house and I knew everybody there. I get there and get shut down, couldn't even get the permit till the next day, at which time I ask the one that had given me the false info why she did. The response I got is we don't have time to look up the laws, so will tell you anything UNTIL you show up with the load.

Another time a friend bought a transfer dump box and trailer in Commiefornia, called the banner scales to see what permits he needed to bobtail his truck in and pick it up, Wrong thing to do, when he showed up, not only was he shut down till the next day, he had to come back two weeks later and go to court. 900 bucks later, he paid me to pick up his stuff and bring it to Arizona and vowed never to cross that line again for any reason.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

plowboyswr

When we were still milking I was making frequent trips to Springfield to ADM to get feed. Using a F-450 with a 12' flat bed. The truck in its previous life had been a Houston school's utility truck so there were decal remnants on the doors. In order to cover up some of the scraps where they removed a decal on the door I got a buddy to make a magnetic door sign with the farm name on it. I get my usual 4 ton loaded on strap it down a drive cross town, just before I get on the interstate to head home I always stop check my load and tighten my straps. As I'm doing this one day a DOT officer comes flying up behind the truck lights on and get out hand on his holster walks up to me while I'm ratcheting  my strap and asked what I am doing while I explain he walks past me looked at the sign on my door then turns and walks back to his vehicle  muttering have a nice day. Two weeks later I'm headed home with another load out on the interstate and the old CB is just fired up about a DOT  some where behind me. About the time I hear oh he's nabbed one I see lights in the rear view,  and he's pulling up beside me matching pace with me. I look over and it's the same officer, and he's reading my door he then looks up at me nods his head and killed the lights, and takes off down the road. Two miles later he's got an 18 wheeler pulled over. Those two signs that I paid $10 for saved my rear twice.

This is before I got the signs on for the dairy you can see where they roughed up the paint. I sanded it down where the bare metal was showing  primed it and then put the magnetic signs on.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Autocar

Here in Ohio you have to have a company name or your name on the door. I have my name and the town I live near and phone number .
Bill

Bert

QuoteHere in Ohio you have to have a company name or your name on the door. I have my name and the town I live near and phone number . 

That seems like it might be feasible for me. Ive been paying more and more attention to trucks on the road and seems like every one is a company owned truck. Next time im in my regular car I going to stop and talk to the DOT guy on the side of the road.
Saw you tomorrow!

Gary_C

Quote from: Bert on May 11, 2016, 02:26:25 PM
We need a hauling board on the Forestry Forum! :D

We could call it "Horror Stories" as that is what it is like dealing with the DOT.

Quote from: Bert on May 13, 2016, 09:52:47 AM
Next time im in my regular car I going to stop and talk to the DOT guy on the side of the road.

I would not trust a thing those guys say. Best to look up the rules yourself for your state. In other words, get it in writing and in triplicate too.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bert

Ive tried reading the rules but they are so convoluted there is about 6 different ways to interpret them. I might just put DALE EARNHARDT on the door and mess with them and see how far that gets me.  :-\  Any regular truck driver I talk too says don't waste your time or money trying to figure out whats right or wrong, they don't play fair. I just want to haul my lumber 12 miles to sell it without looking over my shoulder constantly. I have to go right through where they always sit and the times are so random .
Saw you tomorrow!

starmac

I don't know what kind of regular truck drivers you are running into, but can guarantee knowing the law and where you stand on them is beneficial to you. The dot doesn't always know the laws themselves, and sometimes sort of go by their own set of ideas, you can usually let them know they are wrong, some don't like it, but so far have not run into any that will eventually admit you are right.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!