iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Regretting not buying bigger n better

Started by Rusticcreations, May 10, 2016, 09:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusticcreations

So I have one of the harbor freight central Machinery sawmills, I didn't buy it with the intention to make a living off it I bought it to assist in my log Furniture business but I have a problem.

My dad brought over 5 good sized poplar logs from a tree he brought over and I sawed out 290 bf of 1" boards most averaging 10+- Inches in width.

I am addicted, I wish I had the ability to get a bigger nicer mill

Not really sure where I was heading with this post lol but there's something about turning something that a year ago I would of turned into firewood into beautiful boards that makes me want more.

If I attached the photo correctly you can see both the sawmill and behind the log bed is the poplar boards.

bates

Yup, now I want a wind powered sawmill  ;D

Rusticcreations

That would be pretty sweet but not windy enough where I live lol

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Rusticcreations.

Your picture is in your gallery so you are almost there.  Re-read the picture posting instructions at the bottom of the index page and give it a try.  Ask if you have any questions.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Rusticcreations

Rusticcreations

Sorry the bed is in front of everything lol. Only photo I have at the moment.

47sawdust

Very nice job on the bed.I'm betting most sawyers don't still own the mill they started with.We all start with what we can afford and see where the sawdust takes us.You are surrounded by good timber in Maine as well as a lot of sawmills.
Keep up the good work.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Magicman

That bed deserves front and center.  Congrats on your craftsmanship.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Beautiful bed.

I am on my third mill  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rusticcreations

Thank you for the compliments on the bed it's always nice to hear positive things

Sixacresand

I think my second and present mill will out last me.  And it sure does keep me active.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Skip

Still on the first, bought in 06/2004 and still going strong .(LM 2000). That bed is a fine piece of work !

paul case

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2016, 07:27:47 AM
Beautiful bed.

I am on my third mill  :).
x2 on the bed. Real nice.
I still have mill #4 and #6 for me.
Be careful not to get any sawdust on any of your children or they may get the sawing bug too.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Den-Den

The bed is really nice, I would think those would sell fast.
If you decide to get a bigger mill, the small loss that you take selling your present mill was money spent getting up the learning curve (and well worth it IMO).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

thecfarm

Next year,first of May,Bangor will have thier woods expo. Lots of choices to see thier. I mean,IF you are looking to upgrade.  ;)  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

Since I built my mill and I have never touched a real mill I dont think I ever will.
I'm very happy with what I got and as long as I don't try something better then
I wont miss it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

Not being picky,but what is a "real" mill. Kinda like "normal". What some might call normal is something that I might not want to be around or do.  ;D  And something that I call normal others would have a fit about.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Ray, you ain't normal.  Anybody who won't eat grits ain't normal. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH, you ain't normal.  Anybody who eat grits ain't normal.   :D     :D

WDH

thecfarm

WDH

If the Earth was not balanced North and South, it would spin off into the eternal abyss  :).

redbeard

Great job on the log bed and the stack of boards look professional sawn. Keep in mind a bigger and better sawmill will take alot of time away from your rustic building creation skills. There are unlimited ways you can make your mill work for you. It will pay for itself quickly with your carpenter skills. You have something alot of carpenters don't have and that's a mill.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

woodcat47

I got my first mill this year and of course I wanted to go big but the budget wouldn't handle it so I wound up spending just under $5k for a Woodland Mills HM126. I am as hooked as the rest of you. I can see this mill lasting a few years, but I want a much larger one as soon as possible so I can slab much wider trees. For now this is the perfect mill for me.

Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

Magicman

You have a very usable setup. 

I had to look up Elmo on the map and I see that I have passed your way many many times over the years.   move_it

Thank You Sponsors!