iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patti's latest

Started by Den Socling, May 10, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Patti has her bowl burned out. Today she started pulling back weeds to plant morning glories around the base of her stump. She discovered she had a lot of company!

They are just Garter Snakes and they don't bother her. It's just amazing that she was working around them everyday and didn't know they were there.

Den Socling

She keeps coming to me for advice and I keep telling her to ask you guys who know what you are doing. Anyway, here is an update. Yesterday I heard the router start. A few seconds later there was a blue streak that you would never expect from a lady!  :D The router got away from her and came up through the top of the first board. I ran it through the table saw on which I added a 10' fence. The table will be 1/2" less wide but all is OK. Today she started gluing.

Has she gone mad or is she just having a good time?

I think she is having a great time. I hope it turns out well for her.

Lud

If I was you, I'd be very proud of her!  (I think you are too!!) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Den Socling

Den Socling

She has the top glued and sanded. Sanding was tough because the different species had different densities. She had to be really careful at the joints so that she wouldn't sand the softer wood away. She used tape and did a lot of hand sanding. Today we flipped it over and it weighs a ton!

Just Me

If it was me, being as there are distinctly different species that are going to expand and contract at different rates, I would do a heavy base coat, both sides with West System using 207 hardener. West finishes will let you bend the rules a bit.

Also, if there is a stretcher cross grain for the legs, fasten it solid in the middle and allow for movement on both sides. The reason you fasten solid in the center is so that the movement is equal on both sides.

Don't say if you are doing a breadboard end, but if you are you will have to make the same provision or you will get splits. I hate breadboard ends for this reason but if I have to do them I use a sliding dovetail, again, fastened in the center.

Table is looking awesome. Wish my wife was into woodwork, but my machines scare the hell out of her.

Me too! Just got nailed by a kickback.

PS: Like the final layout, it is exactly what I would have picked.

Ianab

I wouldn't be too worried about expansion differences in the top.  Reason is that the woods wont change in length, only width really. If one board expands slightly more than others, it doesn't affect the glue up, just the overall width of the top. And you have to account for that in your design anyway. (breadboard ends etc)

But a good varnish coating on both sides is still a good plan, especially if some of the woods are softer. An epoxy type varnish will harden up the surface and help it wear better.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patti

Thanks for the tips guys.  My girlfriend (I'm making the table for her) wants a natural finish.  She wants the wood to look as natural as possible.  I was going to use a water based spar urethane.  I didn't want the wood to "warm" using a poly.  I'm going to work on the base, and probably experiment with the under side of the table top.  I'm making my own filler out of glue and sawdust (from the actual boards), as I like the look of it better than anything I've purchased so far.  I have a tendency to "over-engineer" when I use my own design.  I was planning on doing an apron set about 3 inches inside the table top.  The legs are going to be inside the apron with boards on the inside of the apron between the legs (I am working on learning technical terms....very slowly), plus I was going to use those triangle thingies ( :D), on the legs too.  I don't want that table to move!!  Any tips are appreciated.  You all have a great Father's Day (I'm going to visit mine and cook him dinner).

Den Socling

She keeps at it. Maybe a bit unorthodox ( :D) but it is stiff! This is her frame.

And this is the underside of her tabletop.

Right now she's out there making aluminum angles to fasten the top to the frame. It has to come apart for transport into her friends dining room. She has made a lot of brackets!

Den Socling

This is how her table currently looks.

She is talking about sanding the poly off the two dark boards because she left brush strokes.

And as you can see, she is afraid the top is going to fall off the base.

Den Socling

People around here used to complain about the size of our building and the extensions I have put on the original. Now Patti for one, thinks we need more space.

kensfarm

Wow.. that looks really nice!  Now you have to test it w/ food. Mmmm

Ox

Quote:  People around here used to complain about the size of my buildings.                                                                        It is my experience that people will complain and put down your stuff simply out of jealousy.  It sure is cringe-worthy when it's happening in real time in front of you, with all the face contortions and voice changes.  Pathetic.

Your table looks VERY nice, Patti.  You should be very proud of yourself.  Thanks for sharing the pics, Den!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Den Socling

Everyone who has seen it praises her for her work. She, on the other hand, frets over imperfections. I tell her that if she wants perfect, get plastic!  :)

ScottAR

Better is the enemy of good.

I think it's great!...  I'd eat a meal at it.  ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Den Socling

The first time we tried to deliver Patti's table, the top got scratched. It weighs a ton. She sanded all of the old finish off and did it again. We finally got it delivered last night.

Her girl friend was tickled to death.

So we christened it.

samandothers

Patti you should be proud!  You did a great job.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

She put a lot of work into that table. Since it was the first table she ever built and she taught herself off the Internet, I think it is a real accomplishment. Not to mention that Lapacho, Ipe and Quebracho are tough species to work with!

caveman

Caveman

Patti

Thank you all for the encouragement and praise.  It was fun and a real learning adventure. 

Thank You Sponsors!