iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patti's latest

Started by Den Socling, May 10, 2016, 05:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Den Socling

Patti is making a table from some wood that I've had laying around from "product testing". My notes said it was Cebil, Quebracho and Lapacho but I don't know. There are some strange smells when working with the stuff! I read somewhere that Quebracho is Spanish for axe breaker. While ripping it, the smell of the dust reminded of the nasty smell that the dentist makes when he is burning away.

Patti

Patti's parts lol

bedway

Sure is good looking wood. Ill bet a finish will make it pop!

Den Socling

I'm trying to get her to turn to you guys for advice. She has never done anything like this before.

Patti

Hello All,  Patti here.  I was wondering what the general opinion is regarding finishing the table top.  Should I glue it first then cut to size, or cut each board to size then join them?   I don't have a joiner so I was planning on using a router as a biscuit joiner.  Also, I was planning on pre-finishing the top as I am using different types of wood, then giving the whole thing the last coat when it is all together.  Any tips would be helpful, as I am a novice.  Thank you in advance.

Texas Ranger

Opinions vary, but, I glue up first then cut to size.  Finish after you glue and size.  Allows a little room to adjust pattern of grain, etc.

And if you have not been on the forum before, Welcome to the Forum!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Den Socling

Here are a couple more pictures of the parts she is working with.

That was her first post but she has been lurking. This is her first table.

Ljohnsaw

Patti,

Welcome and here is MY opinion(s), worth every cent you paid for them :D

First, I'm a little OCD - With the 7 top boards you have, I would arrange them so they are balanced in color.  The one odd board would be in the middle and then arrange the others to each side so they mirror each other.  Not sure of the order - I'd have to try them out and see but probably any order will do.

For the order of glue up vs. finish.  I have NEVER been able to get a perfectly smooth top gluing up.  I always have to sand things flush so don't waste time pre-finishing what you will likely sand off anyhow.  During glue-up, have wet rags available to wipe up the squeeze out (if lots) or just let it set and pop it off with a chisel when dry if it is just little beads (less mess).  I've seen somewhere where someone put blue tape on the top surface of each board edge to minimize the glue-up mess.  Then you don't have to worry about smearing glue in the grain and affecting your finish.

This looks to be a stunning table when you get done!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

She has been testing a lot of different finishes.

It's some really pretty wood. The only thing I worry about is different densities. I'm not sure how reliable the glue joints will be if EMC changes.

Patti

Thank you all for the welcome and the ideas.  I think I will glue first.  One of pieces of wood (I think it is the Lapacho) has a green dust that I was afraid would stain the other woods - that was my reasoning on pre-finishing - to minimize that.  You will have to forgive (or educate) me when I don't use the proper "wood"  language as I am new to this game.  :-\

Magicman

Quote from: Patti on May 14, 2016, 02:56:59 PMas I am new to this game.  :-\
First, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Patti.   Don't worry, your "game" will be fine, and remember that the only dumb question is an unasked question.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

And regarding the order the boards go, her girl friend who gets the table spent a half hour staring and arranging them. She is planning on coming back and doing some more staring!  :D

Texas Ranger

Patti, every time I pick up a piece of wood for a project, I am new to the game.  Variation is the norm in the woodworking business.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

samandothers

Looking at the grain in the boards I have heard it is good to alternate the boards so the grain is not oriented the same direction as you lay out the top.  Example looking at the end alternate the grain smile up and smile down.   

As I am not by any means a wood worker I hope others will chime in if I am off base here.

Patti

I'm going to lay those boards out as you suggested.  My friend (I'm making the table for her) is stopping by today, and I'll get her input.  Thanks!

coxy

Patti welcome to the forum  8) 8)  I am by no means a wood worker just a tree cutter  ;D but that is going to be a very nice looking table when your done with it  cant wait :) :) :) :) :) :)   

bedway

The input from others above is sound. Main points being, alternate grains, make sure the edges mate well and glue up first before any finish is applied. If applying finish before glue up any finish that covers the edge will contaminate the glue up integrity. Be mindful of how you sand the surface after the glue up. Ive seen far to many people take a belt sander to a surface and end up with waves on a ocean. You will be fine, and I admire your tackling of this project. Keep us posted.

Hilltop366

Welcome Patti, the only thing I could add is when gluing be ready with extra boards and clamps to hold the table top flat and alternate the clamps from top to bottom to help stop cupping of the top from clamping pressure.

I will also add that larger glue-ups can be done in smaller sections and then glue the sections together, but take care to not damage the edges of the boards with the clamps by using strips of wood in between the boards and the clamps.

Patti

Thanks guys.  I was planning on gluing two boards at a time.  And using clamps.  My workspace is kind of limited (it looks a lot bigger in the pics than it is, and I keep getting flack from my boss if I block his path ;D to the kilns).    It is worrisome to be using so many different types of wood in such a big project, but I've been mixing wood when I make benches, so I'm hopeful.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 15, 2016, 03:42:35 PM
Welcome Patti, the only thing I could add is when gluing be ready with extra boards and clamps to hold the table top flat and alternate the clamps from top to bottom to help stop cupping of the top from clamping pressure.

I will also add that larger glue-ups can be done in smaller sections and then glue the sections together, but take care to not damage the edges of the boards with the clamps by using strips of wood in between the boards and the clamps.

+1 on that, especially the edge strips to protect.  I've done a LOT of oak glue ups with my pipe clamps.  Really annoying when the glue touches both the pipe and the wood - nice dark stain :(

I cut up a bunch of PVC scraps into 3" sections.  I slide a bunch of those on the pipe for the wood to rest on.  The glue doesn't stick and the wood doesn't stain.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Gary_C

Pay particular attention to keeping all the boards at equilibrium moisture which means do not let any boards lay flat on another board. Make sure you have good airflow around each board until you glue up, sand and finish on all sides. With the different species it's your best chance to keep the table flat. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Den Socling

Our daughter asked for a shoe rack for her porch so Patti took time off the table project.

And Jessica is going to stack muddy boots on it?

Savannahdan

That's nice.  She does excellent work.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Den Socling

I tell you this woman has more projects than she has shoes. Wrong! She has an awful lot of shoes!  :D

Looks like somebody shot our dog, Kona.

A big pin oak died in the front yard. A neighbor and I used most of it for firewood but that monster stump remained. Patti got the idea of burning a bowl in it to plant flowers.

She has been burning charcoal for days. Occasionally she lets it go out and chops out the charcoal then lights it again. The neighbors must think she has a screw lose!

Czech_Made

Thanks for sharing :)

I done that too - I mean a planter out of a stump.

thecfarm

That looks good.
Someone would shoot our other dog and we are on a hill and he would wiggle his way down the hill about 20 feet at times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!