iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lighter Saw? Any Point?

Started by Ada Shaker, May 10, 2016, 12:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Any chance you could use a rope and pulley? Hang the pull in a tree with a strap on the side of the road then pull with your truck.

John Mc

Sounds like a tough situation. I can see why people have settled on winches. I like the gas powered capstan rope winch myself, since it's quite a bit faster than the electric winches, and you can do a longer reach in one pull. On the other hand, I don't think you can do a remote control on that one, since you have to be at the winch to tail the rope n the capstan. It sounds as though being able to control the winch remotely might be a good feature in your application. You could be out near the log, stopping and rolling or guiding it around obstacles.

As far as your back goes, almost anything is better than picking up and carrying them. Before I had the logging winch for my tractor, I used the tongs I posted earlier. I'd cut as long a log as I could drag, hook the tongs to one end, and drag it out. It was still tiring, but at least I didn't need 3 visits to the Chiropractor after each day in the woods. In good conditions, I'd have a set of tongs in each hand and drag out a couple of smaller diameter logs at once - but that required a nicer path to drag the two logs on.

I briefly played with hooking the tongs to the frame of an old backpack so I could drag the logs without using my arms. This used mostly leg muscles, so it was less tiring, but I quickly discovered that the pack I was using was a whole lot more suited for carrying than it was for pulling. I still think there might be something to this concept if someone was determined to use human muscle power, or was on a limited budget. You'd need the right harness. Maybe a choker cable would be better than tongs?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 12, 2016, 08:22:49 AM
Any chance you could use a rope and pulley? Hang the pull in a tree with a strap on the side of the road then pull with your truck.

Hi Hilltop366

Yeh, something like that will work from time to time, but guess what?.

I've just found out that's illegal to drag logs along the forest floor over here. Something about destroying the natural habitat or something like that. I'll be dammed, learn something new every day. :o :o :o

Looks like we're back to cutting 'n' carting that wood.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on May 12, 2016, 08:36:07 AM
Sounds like a tough situation. I can see why people have settled on winches. I like the gas powered capstan rope winch myself, since it's quite a bit faster than the electric winches, and you can do a longer reach in one pull. On the other hand, I don't think you can do a remote control on that one, since you have to be at the winch to tail the rope n the capstan. It sounds as though being able to control the winch remotely might be a good feature in your application. You could be out near the log, stopping and rolling or guiding it around obstacles.

As far as your back goes, almost anything is better than picking up and carrying them. Before I had the logging winch for my tractor, I used the tongs I posted earlier. I'd cut as long a log as I could drag, hook the tongs to one end, and drag it out. It was still tiring, but at least I didn't need 3 visits to the Chiropractor after each day in the woods. In good conditions, I'd have a set of tongs in each hand and drag out a couple of smaller diameter logs at once - but that required a nicer path to drag the two logs on.

I briefly played with hooking the tongs to the frame of an old backpack so I could drag the logs without using my arms. This used mostly leg muscles, so it was less tiring, but I quickly discovered that the pack I was using was a whole lot more suited for carrying than it was for pulling. I still think there might be something to this concept if someone was determined to use human muscle power, or was on a limited budget. You'd need the right harness. Maybe a choker cable would be better than tongs?

Yeh, I hear ya and know what you mean, there is some merit in using your shoulder and legs to lift rather than bending over to pick up logs all day, after cutting them to reasonable size. As I mentioned in the previous post, just found out today that were not permitted to drag logs along the forest floor either as it destroys natural habitat. We're not even permitted to split on site after cutting, and we can only use chainsaws (no rotating saw blades), hand saws permitted if your game. So basically stuck to cutting on site and carrying the wood out.
There is some merit to this though as the authorities may be able to determine where the tree/branch came from, if they were to pass through, basically a deterrent for anyone wanting to cut down live trees, as they'd be able to tell if the tree was cut, or fell down by high winds.

On a lighter note, went down the hill to one of the Stihl dealers to check out what they had.... ;D
Nada, absolutely nothing in stock regarding tongs and the like, they can get them in but that requires another return trip of a couple of hours. That hookaroo thing that looks a bit like a pick is close to $300 here, and one tong is close to $90, so 2 is about $180. :-\ Don't know how that compares to prices in the states.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

John Mc

Quote from: Ada Shaker on May 13, 2016, 09:41:42 AM
On a lighter note, went down the hill to one of the Stihl dealers to check out what they had.... ;D
Nada, absolutely nothing in stock regarding tongs and the like, they can get them in but that requires another return trip of a couple of hours. That hookaroo thing that looks a bit like a pick is close to $300 here, and one tong is close to $90, so 2 is about $180. :-\ Don't know how that compares to prices in the states.

The 8" Husqvarna log tongs are about $35 here. The 12" are $50. Other companies make the same thing (Oregon is one). Prices are similar.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ada Shaker

AND

luvmexfood

Quote from: Ada Shaker on May 11, 2016, 09:31:13 PM
Quote from: luvmexfood on May 11, 2016, 10:37:20 AM
Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 10, 2016, 01:01:54 PM
I think they also make a wench plate to fit into a 2" box hitch, if you have a strong enough hitch. It would be a bad deal to rip your hitch off your truck. Harbor freight has a few large capacity wenches for less then other guys but quality may be iffy.

I have a HF 12000 lb winch mounted on the tongue of my trailer. Have used the heck out of it. If you do go an electric winch remember they are slow and if you hook to something big they may scoot your truck rather than pull the load. Spring for the wireless remote control. Saves many steps. I have been stuck before and ran out winch cable from the trailer tongue to a tree and set in the cab steering while pulling myself out backwards.

That's where tirfor's come in on there own sometimes. another option is to anchor the truck to the base of a tree first, just make sure you don't end up with two half trucks when your done.
Pretty sure that would be a case where two halfs don't make a whole again.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

DelawhereJoe

You said that you cant skid them out, I'll assume thats just dragging along the ground. Can you build or purchase a set of axles for the front and rear of a log to to keep them from dragging on the ground, northern industrial tools and equipment has 1 to pull behind an atv with a front and rear axles. Hook them on and just winch them to your truck, with very little ground damage.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

John Mc

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 15, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
You said that you cant skid them out, I'll assume thats just dragging along the ground. Can you build or purchase a set of axles for the front and rear of a log to to keep them from dragging on the ground...

AKA a logging arch

DelawhereJoe

Yes but with an axle in the rear aswell  effectively turning it into a 4 wheel trailer,  but with taller tires. Most of the skidding arches, that I have seen have small tires.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on May 15, 2016, 06:00:34 PM
Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 15, 2016, 05:13:30 PM
You said that you cant skid them out, I'll assume thats just dragging along the ground. Can you build or purchase a set of axles for the front and rear of a log to to keep them from dragging on the ground...

AKA a logging arch

I may as well winch a light weight four wheeled burrow/cart that I can throw on top of the trailer, that sort of thinking I think would work well because quite often the tree is a fair distance away. (Might be a runaway going down hill though)

Anyway, I've now acquired an axe head which I'll cut and covert into one of those hookaroo's  (I think that's what they've called it). A mate of mine has a forge so well heat it up and bend it on the anvil to shape. Sounds all too easy and looking forward to giving it a go. I really appreciate all the ideas that have come in so far from everyone.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 15, 2016, 09:42:57 PM
Yes but with an axle in the rear aswell  effectively turning it into a 4 wheel trailer,  but with taller tires. Most of the skidding arches, that I have seen have small tires.

I like the idea of turning a log into a trailer but just a tad bit illegal on the road around here with that one. I don't know about the states though?. We'd have to effectively register and roadworthy the log before putting it on the road.  ::) I can only imagine the road authorities faces if someone did try to register one. :D
                             AND

DelawhereJoe

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356854_200356854?MobileOptOut=1   I'm not saying drive it down the road, but you could its just not made heavy duty enough for large logs, just use it to winch it up to your truck. If you did build one yourself you could make it as heavy duty as you want or would want.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 16, 2016, 06:39:50 AM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356854_200356854?MobileOptOut=1   I'm not saying drive it down the road, but you could its just not made heavy duty enough for large logs, just use it to winch it up to your truck. If you did build one yourself you could make it as heavy duty as you want or would want.

I see what you mean Delawhere.Joe.
I was only kidding about turning the log into a trailer, as one would likely crab down the road with one. These thins are great on flat ground, on a farm and the like. Unfortunately I have to keep things lite and simple when collecting firewood, otherwise I wouldn't have enough room in the trailer for the firewood. Something about as big as a builders wheel burrow and just as light to throw on top of wood/trailer would be about the limit. I think a modified builders burrow or a purpose built aluminium cart  perhaps using mountain bike wheels for lightness and to lessen rolling resistance might fit the bill, I'll have to give it some serious thought though, as anything bulkier or heavier would make it unfeasible, and it needs to be stable so some consideration to centre of gravity, as well as usage in all types of terain/inclinations. But to start off with I'll use the kis method (keep it simple), and use a hookaroo and a couple of tongs, I'm hoping that would be all the gear I would need to carry, so as to cart the firewood back to the trailer, but I have my reservations.
                             AND

HolmenTree

Moving  wood I leave that to my Muck Truck factory rated to haul 800 lbs  (365Kilos) and the machine only weighs 285 lbs.
27 inches wide, 4 wheel drive with a 4 speed Peerless transaxle capable of climbing 40% grades fully loaded. It can pull or push a 10,000lb trailer for short distances and I have carried 18 cement bags on it once (1,700lbs). Have used it in my tree service business for over 8 years now without a bit of trouble.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

DelawhereJoe

And that looks like the winning solution for the problem.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 16, 2016, 09:27:57 AM
Moving  wood I leave that to my Muck Truck factory rated to haul 800 lbs  (365Kilos) and the machine only weighs 285 lbs.
27 inches wide, 4 wheel drive with a 4 speed Peerless transaxle capable of climbing 40% grades fully loaded. It can pull or push a 10,000lb trailer for short distances and I have carried 18 cement bags on it once (1,700lbs). Have used it in my tree service business for over 8 years now without a bit of trouble.

Think I might have to put my order in for Christmas. Quite chuffed at the way they've achieved 4wd on the burrow. Albeit a little heavy to try and lift onto a trailer but perhaps a set of ramps on the front of the A frame might just do it.
Just wondering how this thing turns with a load, from the video it looked like the bloke was lifting the rear end to turn it.
Thanx for this one HolmenTree.
                             AND

HolmenTree

I built and  added the orange rack with stakes .As long as the load is centered in the bucket it turns really easy with little force on the handle bars.
Climbs stairs real easy too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: HolmenTree on May 16, 2016, 05:35:05 PM
I built and  added the orange rack with stakes .As long as the load is centered in the bucket it turns really easy with little force on the handle bars.
Climbs stairs real easy too.

Yeh, the bull horns look like an add on, looks like you move quite a bit of volume, perhaps more so than weight hence the bull horns are ideal.
Nice to here it turns easy and yes I do have quite a fair amount of garden steps here, which is also good to hear. Looks & sounds like something I'd be very interested in indeed. Thanx again.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: mad murdock on May 10, 2016, 01:19:31 PM
a "bunching hook" or hand tongs, keeps you from bending over so much, also a good hookaroon can be a back saver as well.  There are many strategies that you can employ to save the back.  When I am loading large rounds, I use a shorter big one as an aid, placed just in front of the tailgate, with a flat side up( other flat sie on the ground), then will "lever a large one onto that, then onto the tailgate of the truck from there.  This makes it so that you never have to completely pick up the whole piece yourself.  you are just moving pieces around by "tipping" them or upending them, vs ever having to have a whole piece off the ground at once.

Well here's a home made hookaroo I've just made out of an old axe head. Stuck it in some wood by hand as is, lifted it no worries. I'd hate to see what it does once I fit an axe handle to it, might inavertably split it. :D These old axe heads were certainly made from tough steel. Unlike much of what we get these days.

AND

John Mc

If you heated that axe head up to cut it, it may have softened the steel. Keep an eye on the hook to watch for bending.  There are ways to restore the temper of the steel, if needed. If you haven't done it before, it would be good to find someone knowledgeable to help. Done wrong, you can either further soften the steel, or make it so brittle it will shatter when you hit a rock.

gspren

For moving one or two pieces at a time through rough terrain have you looked at deer or game carts? some of these will haul a few hundred pounds and fold/disassemble down to an easy to handle size.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on May 17, 2016, 06:46:35 AM
If you heated that axe head up to cut it, it may have softened the steel. Keep an eye on the hook to watch for bending.  There are ways to restore the temper of the steel, if needed. If you haven't done it before, it would be good to find someone knowledgeable to help. Done wrong, you can either further soften the steel, or make it so brittle it will shatter when you hit a rock.

Nah, I didn't really heat up the axe head all that much, I could actually handle it as I was cutting it and it didn't turn blue, other than the very tip whilst polishing but it's been ground back on the tormek. It was on old rusty axe head I got for a few bob, not realising that it was actually a really good axe head untill I starded polishing it up a little, good steel. Kicking myself for cutting up a really good axe. I didn't check to see if it was case hardened or tempered all the way through, but it was tough cutting, nice and slow did it though. The very tip of it still has an axe edge on it, *Dang thing knicked me after grinding and drew some of the red stuff. I think she bit me for causing her sooo much grief, but at least she's getting a new lease on life. I don't think she needs further tempering but I'll find out when I start using it. A friend of mine has a forge so we could heat and quench over there but would have to anneal it first. Would have to work out what type of steel was used in these axe head first, not good second guessing. I would say a good old fashioned high carbon steel but what type?.  I'm loving the fact it has a nice sharp axe edge point, I'm going to have to treat it with some respect .
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: gspren on May 17, 2016, 08:04:13 AM
  For moving one or two pieces at a time through rough terrain have you looked at deer or game carts? some of these will haul a few hundred pounds and fold/disassemble down to an easy to handle size.

No I haven't but I'll have to look into it, thanx gspren.
                             AND

Thank You Sponsors!