iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parts Flying Off the Mill

Started by DR_Buck, October 31, 2004, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

What kind of quick fixes have you had to do to keep sawing when parts break or go missing ? [/color]   Question is more specific toward Wood-Mizer, but any other experiences could be helpful as well.

I had two recent "parts issues" that required solving.  The first was two weeks ago when I went to saw some stuff I had here at home.  The saw head "Fwd - Rev" drive lever was missing.  Must have fallen off along the road coming home from the last job.  Since it was for my own job and I had a week till my next paying customer, I just ordered a new one from Wood-Mizer.  But the mounting point looks like the square shaft used on outdoor hose spigots.  Haven't tried it but, in a pinch one of those spigot handles might work.  ???

The 2nd "parts issue" I had last night and if I would have done what others have recommended [/u]as a preventive change listed in Bibby's posting on "Saw Mill Mods" it wouldn't have happened.    :-[  I caught my "lubemizer" hose on the log and ripped it in half.    Heading to Lowe's to get new tubing this morning and I will make the recommended change!   ;D

So, what kind of quick fixes have you had to do to keep sawing when parts break or go missing ? [/color]
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Fla._Deadheader

We had to buy a 1 ton Dually to carry all our spare parts. :o ;D ;D

We just carry extra bearings and belts. Our feed speed controller is not sealed to keep the dust out, so, we have an extra. Extra piece of wire, the occasional momentary switch, grease, oil, and lots of tools.

Mostly, it's adjustments that stop us for a few minutes. Tighten a belt, tighten a loose bolt, maybe adjust the blade guides. Check blade alignment.  Hardly ever had anything serious break, once we worked the little bugs out after building the mill.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DansSawmill

had a up/down motor go out once, used a old pulley that i welded one of those ford jack handles onto to raise lower til i got a new motor

had my starter for the onan 24 go out, the connections inside had vibrated loose... windings were magnase i think, local shop said they couldnt weld it back on.... showed them a trick we used in the navy, sandwiching  the end to be welded in copper and then welding, still using the dang starter 4 years later, ordered one, but if it aint broke dont fix....
plus they were impressed on the fix, didnt cost me anything  :) :)
Dan's Sawmill
Custom Sawing since 94
CNC woodworking too
now with a 98' lt40 super

sigidi

Don't know if I should admit losing this bit off tha mill???? ::) :(

Hope Wifey doesn't hop on the FF after I go to bed, if she finds out, she'll ground me from milling for a year!!!

I had just changed over from the slabbing attachment to the TCT blade on my Lucas, it took a whole lot longer then it should've so I was purging to get into the log... well while sawing, I lost one out of the four countersunk screws off the blade and found 2 of the remaing 3 had come loose!!!!!!!! BLOODY close call - really makes you stop and take stock of things.

It hadn't gotten bad enough that the blade was cavitating enough to notice it while cutting, so I think the screw must have come out just before I found the hex nut on the floor - scrathing ma head thinkin' "where's that come from?"
(Just incase you read it, see not unsafe at all Wifey - had it all under control, no problems and absolutely no concerns of injuries)

Suffice to say I know torque the screws FT (a setting my motor mechanic Father taught me ;)) using the hex drive and use a longer handle to undo them when I need to.
Always willing to help - Allan

Swede

2 ends of an old blade flew out off my mill last week!  ::)  And "some" boards. :)

I need new plates for my band guides but can´t find them as spare pars anywhere here. "Cuting chips" ??? (1"x1"x1/8" and hole for a screw in the middle) from a lathe is also a hard material, can I use them? Perhaps can find used for free.  ;D

(Blades isn´t free.) :(
Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!