iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teak clearcut

Started by teakwood, May 09, 2016, 06:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

I did a 2.5acre clear cut in my plantations because i will start a quarry there. This trees were 11 years old and would have been thinned within the next 2 years. As this was a clear cut there were some pretty big ones also. Up to 14". (The blue ones were supposed to stay until 20-30 years). Around 300 trees, 55 cubic meters (15.2 cords), half in shortwood and the other half (the thicker ones) in Longwood, i am pretty happy with that.

That is directional felling (almost uphill)

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures !

What will the wood be used for ?
Those growth rings look very big ! The teak I have bought in the past had about 15-20 growth rings per inch, the log end with your hand looks like 1-1.5 rings per inch ???

What will you quarry for ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ianab

QuoteThe teak I have bought in the past had about 15-20 growth rings per inch

It would be unusual for any tropical wood to grow that slow?

From what I can see 4 rings per inch is considered poor growth for Teak, with up to 1 ring per inch for an ideal site, especially with younger trees. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

BargeMonkey

Almost looks like you laid that down with a buncher.  :D.  1 question, why if it grows so quick, and is readily available is it so expensive ??? Installed 3 small boxes made of teak onboard recently for holding binoculars, nothing fancy but where 80+ dollars each. Literally down to my last set of fuel filters and those showed up, blew a gasket.  :D

sprucebunny

Ian, I was guessing so here's a pic.

Top piece is teak, also but with larger growth rings.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

teakwood

Sprucebunny: this is fast growing plantation teakwood, at least the first 15 years, than it slows down and will get better and better in quality. your bord is primary forest teak from burma or elsewhere there. You cannot compare our plantation wood with the quality of a 60-70 year old teaktree. Of course the price is 2-3 times more and there is not a lot of original teak left. Mi trees will be good quality after 25 years and up. One inch per year is possible but normally its less. Teak is so expensive because of its outstanding qualities compared to other wood (weather and insect resistants). i get almost 6k for that little wood.

I will quarry for road building materials

teakwood

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 09, 2016, 08:01:28 PM
Almost looks like you laid that down with a buncher.  :D.  1 question, why if it grows so quick, and is readily available is it so expensive ??? Installed 3 small boxes made of teak onboard recently for holding binoculars, nothing fancy but where 80+ dollars each. Literally down to my last set of fuel filters and those showed up, blew a gasket.  :D

:D ;D Well. they are not that hard to tip them over if you make the notch correctly. i use a fellerlever sometimes or just push them over by hand. As soon as the move i stump jump them to avoid fiberpull or splitting.  It was easier to fell them that way because of the skidroute which was downhill

coxy

looks like they have no bark did you peel them  like your loader  :) how much would a bundle like that weigh  always pic your part of the world flat :D

teakwood

Thats how the teakbark is. I didnt peel them. Whats wrong with my loader? I know its oversized but its the only machine i have that can lift. It sure beats the hell out of loading by hand like those guys did a year ago.

A bundle weigh around 800-900kilos (2000lbs)

g_man

That's all very interesting. You do neat work teakwood. Thanks for posting the pics.

gg

mesquite buckeye

The wood sure looks a lot like black locust. ;D

I didn't see what you would be quarrying.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Woodhauler

Looks like a guy could make some money with a 3 axle center mount trailer down there.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

teakwood

My quarry will start there. waiting for permits. Its a pain in the a.... here with the governments institutions

Under the organic layer there is road building material and further down there is some blueish basalt stone that can be crushed and is used for concrete aggregate

That is not the good quality yet. i have to dig about 10' deeper and it will turn blue like some stones in that pile

M8274

teakwood,

This is extremely neat to see! Thank you for posting. Interesting to see machinery that looks so familiar. Will most of this wood be used domestically or exported for foreign markets?

Is forestry a common business for land owners there? How does it typically work out size wise; are there lots of smaller landowners/farmers/loggers or are land tracts typically large?
If you start with nothing; there's nowhere to go but up.

teakwood

I sold the wood to a hindu buyer, they buy most of the worlds teak production, they even use it to burn their dead people.

Most here is agriculture and cattle. There are some big forestry companies that own thousands of acres of teakwoodplantations, I have just 90acres planted with teak. Its just to expensive for most to spend for 15years until the first return, but after that its quiet a good investment.

Hiway40frank

Me and my dad own a small 15 acre abandoned fruit farm with a small house down there. Cant wait to make enough money start spending my winters there and summers here in the adk. My plan is to start a small fruit farm from salvaging whats left and replanting all organic and exporting to the states. Land can be very cheap if you know where to look we got the 15 acres and house for 30k a few years ago.

teakwood

Were in Costa Rica is that? Dont do business here, make it just for fun, as a hobby. you will never earn money with fruits down here unless you have 2000acres. 80% of the foreigners loss money in cr. never the less its very beautiful for retirement, a true paradise.
Just for business its ether a niche product or go big big big.
the other thing is you 'gringos' will pay more for the same. most of the americanos here are not interested in learning the language and habits of the costaricans and that is a big minus if you do business. you didn't buy you lot that cheap, depending which year you bought. Costa Rica isn't cheap anymore. I payed 40k for 90 acres right next to the panamerican highway back in 2004. now the same costs 250-300k.   

Hiway40frank

Ive never seen the place in person but its around playa uvita. My dad got it on vacation or something about 10 years ago and says the house is in decent shape. I guess the plan now it to just use it for vaction and the fruit thing would be for fun. All I know is compared to land anywhere in the states its cheap.

KBforester

Wouldn't an elephant have been a more appropriate tool for loading? Although if the permit for the quary was hard to get, and can't imagine how long an elephant permit would take...  :D
Trees are good.

teakwood

Quote from: KBforester on May 16, 2016, 05:02:16 PM
Wouldn't an elephant have been a more appropriate tool for loading? Although if the permit for the quary was hard to get, and can't imagine how long an elephant permit would take...  :D

Why are you guys all making fun of my loading tool?? bat_smailey  :D :D We work with what we have around here.

I am 30k and 2.5years into the permit thing until this day!! :-[ :-[ Should be a done deal within months. But you never know in CR

teakwood

Quote from: Hiway40frank on May 16, 2016, 10:06:42 AM
Ive never seen the place in person but its around playa uvita. My dad got it on vacation or something about 10 years ago and says the house is in decent shape. I guess the plan now it to just use it for vaction and the fruit thing would be for fun. All I know is compared to land anywhere in the states its cheap.

If the house is decent then the price was good. Normally when they say house around here its nothing near what we (persons who lived in a first world country) would call a house.
After 05-06 prices went up, so you dad did the right thing.

Two free tips from me:
Check if that property is correctly inscribed in the national register (registro nacional) under you dads or his firms name.

Do you visit the property yearly or every second year? there has been some invading in abandoned propertys  in cr. If you dont get those people out within 3 years you have to give them a very small lot where they had built their shelters. ??? ???

Hiway40frank

Thanks for the info, I am kinda in the dark about it right now all I did was write a check and my dad took care of it. From what I understand he was on vaction and the property was bought from someone he knows and they have a "care taker" just make sure no one is stealing fruit or living in the house and by house I meen its basicly a big 40x40 concrete building with several rooms so it need furnishings. From what Ive been told the farm was abandoned in the early 90s and is so overgrown most people have no clue whats back there its just a small walking trail to the house. I am hoping to go see it this winter and start cleaning up I just hope the house is really there and I dont spend my vacation living in a tent...

Whats the mobile home scene like? Could I get one cheap and put it on the lot without much hassle from the govenment?

teakwood

Ok, thats good with the caretaker and the big house.  Forget cheap in cr, there is no cheap around here. there are no mobile homes for sell in cr, well maybe a few. I would just work something out with the house or sleep in a motel/cabin. Give me a pm when you plan to visit, maybe i can help with something.

Used cars cost 3-5 times more than in the US, 1 gal of bottle water 2.5$, 3 liter coca cola 3.5$, a small can of beer in the supermarket 1$, the average earning people just work for groceries and cloth 

Corley5

So living in CR isn't cheap ??? :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

I harbor visions of living in CR  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!