iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Simplex Fever

Started by Puffergas, May 08, 2016, 08:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Hi all, this is my first post on the firewood side.

Look what followed me home from an auction, trailer to. Thought I might have killed my car towing in home but it seems to be OK. Should of drove the tractor over.

It took an hour, fork lift and a good size 4wd tractor with high lift to get it on the trailer.

I'll keep ya posted..... 😁
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

coxy

ill bite WHAT IS IT   :) :) :)

lopet

Shear type wood processor. Think they're made in Manitoba.
Good luck with it and yeah we like to hear more about it.  8)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

woodmills1

Rainer Hydraulics, I think Oregon.  Warren Aikens was the guy and he made medical hydraulics, but I think he died and the company is done.  Most of the regular parts are over the counter.  I have his prototype small one, the chomper
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

thecfarm

Yes,please keep us posted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

Quote from: lopet on May 08, 2016, 09:16:02 PM
Shear type wood processor. Think they're made in Manitoba.
Good luck with it and yeah we like to hear more about it.  8)
that's what I thought it was but wasn't shur  :)

lopet

ok I was wrong about Manitoba.

Here is a old thread about it.               https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=78263.0

Does it need a lot of work Puffergas ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Puffergas

Lopet, had to replace the battery and jump the starter relay to turn it over. No pop but good spark. Dump some gas in the carb and it would run on that gas. So the carb must be all plugged up so I removed it to find a wire going to the fuel bowl and a solenoid. Put the carb back on and jump that wire to the battery and it fired right up. Sounds good.

Chopped up half a log but decided to stop because a return hose was leaking too much. There is another leak but it's harder to find. Also changed the motor oil.

Yes, made in the USA.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

redprospector

I've got a chomper simplex 14, with the automatic feature that I bought used in 2005. It's a good little processor. I've done a few hundred cords with mine. There are faster machines out there, but I've done a little over a cord an hour with mine. That was cutting 12" & 13" logs that were 30' long. The shorter, and smaller the logs, the slower you go. I average a little less than a cord an hour.
You'll be looking for a conveyor now.  :)  it never ends, after the conveyor you'll need some kind of dump truck.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Puffergas

Before work I started to chop up the first log and found the second leak. The splitter cylinder leaks at the weld. This cylinder is on the vary bottom of the machine.

Blocked the front up and removed the cylinder.

Here's the small chip out of the weld, I think. I'll get some 7018 and try welding it. Think some preheat with the torch and kind of  U weld starting at the very back yoke end going to the chip and back yoke end. Anybody ever weld a cylinder before???

I'll also replace the hose while I'm at it...
Jeff

North River Energy

QuoteAnybody ever weld a cylinder before???
Yes. The end cap on my old Prentice swing rack had been poorly patched by a prior owner. Drained off the fluid, ground off the old putty and vee-ed out the crack. Applied some propane heat to draw out and burn off any free oil, then began the root pass. Started at the bottom, 1 inch at a time, alternating Mig and propane.
Every so often, the weld would contaminate, at which point I ground out the garbage, burned off the oil, and moved onward.
Finished up with a nice clean cover pass.
Leave the fitting off to allow for pressure relief.
Used the same method on a cracked backhoe hydraulic reservoir. One of those where the tank is welded to the loader frame and sees too much shock loading.

Puffergas

Thanks North River Energy, good welding info..

Redprospector. Got an elevator but it'll need some work.

The dump truck is ready to roll..

Now if I could just finish that first log that is stuck in the Chomper.. 😉
Jeff

redprospector

Some work's not bad. I built my conveyor out of an old hay bale loader. That's an undertaking!
I do like your old Dodge. What year is it?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Puffergas

I want to say it's a 1972. Dodge 800 series, 413 engine. The only weak link was the cab.
Jeff

redprospector

Quote from: Puffergas on May 12, 2016, 11:31:17 AM
I want to say it's a 1972. Dodge 800 series, 413 engine. The only weak link was the cab.

You really didn't have to say that, it's a Dodge.  :D

Puffergas

Redprospector, how does the automatic feature work? I doubt that it's computer controlled with tons of wires, sensors and solenoids.....
Jeff

redprospector

It's got a lot of limit switches, and a ton of wires, etc. etc. etc.
I'll see if I can find my manual and get some pics when I get close to it again. May be a few days though.

r.man

A small cheap PLC would be able to control one of those processors.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Puffergas

I found under crud on the other side this cylinder was welded before.

I ground out the chip and found about a 2" crack below it. I had to grind 90 degrees to the crack in order to find it.

I had a nice weld but it was a bit off center so I did another pass but now at the end was a gas hole.. Dang.. So a bit of a cross pass over that... So much for my nice looking weld.

I have to leave this for about a week.
Jeff

Puffergas

The welded cylinder got a work out today and so far no leak. Fingers crossed..!
Jeff

Puffergas

Hitting the road with the first load of chomped wood...

Jeff

thecfarm

Looks like it's working good!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I like your 300  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!