iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

later gator

Started by caveman, May 08, 2016, 09:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

Tuesday night while I was sitting in a meeting, one of my daughters sent me a text and a picture of a critter in my across-the-street neighbor's yard.  It was a gator that was 10' 11" long.  Her yard/pasture is fenced with field fence and the only opening is a 14' gate.  A trapper was called and the gator was roped, taped and winched into the back of the truck.  This is the time of the year that the gators are on the move.  My neighbor's dad posed for a picture with the gator after his mouth was taped.  He did take a swat at him with that massive tail.

We have had several in our pond over the years.  My parents, who live next door, called me to get one out of their pool once.  Many years ago a five footer was in my garage under my '68 Bronco.  I had a harder time getting my dog to leave him alone than I did catching him.
Caveman
Caveman

Roxie

How do you folks live down there with such critters slithering about?  I'll take a few months of snow compared to death living in the back yard.   :D
Say when

red

It's built in security. Last year a burglar was hiding from police and was killed by an alligator.  I guess a burglar up north could freeze to death . 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

gspren

If a gator shows up in your yard are you allowed to kill it?
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Mooseherder

You aren't allowed to kill them in your yard but it probably happens.  We do move them out when they're in the yard without asking permission though.  I generally throw them in the canal and hope their bad experience here makes them remember to not come back.  It doesn't always work though.  People call FWC but they will ask how big and tell you to ignore if it is small until it leaves.   They don't have time to deal with it.  Nuisance gators are dealt with differently if they have eaten a pet or are causing danger .  I think there are over a million gators in Florida.  Much better to deal with than the 2 legged animals walking some city streets. ;D

caveman

No, you are not allowed to kill them.  There is a season on them but you have to apply for and pay for a permit and there are rules that govern the method of harvest.   Many are killed each year by homeowners without permits.  They are numerous now but they are still legally protected.  When I was a kid and when I had time to fish a lot more than I do now, I used to catch quite a few of them just for fun.  They will go nuts over a top water plug like a Johnny Rattler, Zara Spook or a big ole Jitterbug.  I caught one about 12' long on a plastic worm once.  We were in a 14' John boat.  I got my bullet weight back but did not try to get the hook.

We used to wade fish quite a lot.  This time of year, you had to keep an eye out for them.  On more than one occasion, we climbed onto a dock to avoid a gator that got too close.  The 3'-5' can be kind of surly.  One evening (It had gotten dark but the fish were biting) when I was wading and flipping through cattails and pads alone with about seven bass on a stringer tied around my waist, I heard what sounded like a large gator in my immediate vicinity.  I got down in the water up to my neck so that I could move quietly and reluctantly released my fish and worked my way back to shore (over 100 yards).  They usually are wary of people unless they are fed or it is mating season.

I would much rather deal with snakes, skeeters and gators than freeze in the Arctic north.  When it gets below 50° I think it is cold.
Caveman 
Caveman

thecfarm

When it gets to 50° I think it's cold too. Just put more clothes on.
I would rather deal with the cold than face grits.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

It snowed here yesterday, no gators or grits to be seen!   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

You Northern, Frozen types need some challenges to toughen you up  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

We do, SNOW SNAKES!      ;D   :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

I have faithfully fought the onslaught and the steady assault of grits trying to ebb into my side of my Great Nation that is called the United States of America. I shall not be overcome by such a grave state of affairs by others that try to say how great something is when they do not have the true meaning of something that is not that great.
That is my challenge.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Oh but those grits call to you from yonder shelf, and you let pride overcome your keen sense of judgement.  You miss out on one of the pure joys that has been created for your eating enjoyment.  It is just so sad to witness you living the best part of your life in denial and refusing to partake of the manna that has been so richly provided for you.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

When I go to a Cracker Barrel for breakfast, I eats grits ;D I wonder if Ray goes there :)

thecfarm

I know what I am missing,nothing. Them things have touched my lips only once. Have not built up the courage to do it again. Them that you you gave me are on yonder shelf and probably will stay on yonder shelf until I leave this great grit free part of the United States of America.  :D   :D
And no Ray does not go to Cracker Barrel. Any place that ask me,do you want grits with that??  ::) :o That is in Maine,does not belong in Maine.

fishpharmer

Fried gator and grits are very good!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

sandhills

Quote from: red on May 10, 2016, 08:48:41 AM
Boots . . .
:D :D :D  Kinda what I was thinking.  I've tried it once at a barbeque contest, trouble is #1 it was their mystery meat so the cooks didn't even know what they were cooking, and #2 we don't have many gators in Nebraska  :D.  A few of the samples I tried were really good, I'd try it again cooked by someone who knows what they're cooking and how to do it. 

WDH

I would put my $ on fishpharmer to fry it up.  He fries a mean catfish and hushpuppies. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

I would try gator easy. And probably alot of it too. It's in the meat family!!!

sandhills

Quote from: WDH on May 10, 2016, 08:16:35 PM
I would put my $ on fishpharmer to fry it up.  He fries a mean catfish and hushpuppies.
I agree, fish or Ms. Pat, might have to just do a taste test and figure out if there is a winner  :)

WDH

There are only two food groups in thecfarm's food pyramid.

Meat
                                        Salt

gspren

Quote from: sandhills on May 10, 2016, 11:23:57 PM
Quote from: WDH on May 10, 2016, 08:16:35 PM
I agree, fish or Ms. Pat, might have to just do a taste test and figure out if there is a winner  :)
I would drive from PA to MS to be a judge in that contest.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Raider Bill

Gator bites are a regular appetizer around here. Like anything else, done right they are delish. Not done right pretty tough.
I went gator hunting with a guy that used to work for me. He was a Florida native and grew up in the swamp. I'm a city Boy.
12 ft tippy john boat, 12 ft gator that looked 24 ft when he got it up to the boat.

Never again
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

"Choot it!"   smiley_deadheader alligator
Say when

sandhills

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on May 11, 2016, 07:25:33 AM
There are only two food groups in thecfarm's food pyramid.

Meat
                                        Salt

Let's say an old goat is raised up on grits... what food pyramid does it fall under?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

WDH,well really 3. Bread,meat and cheese. Not much for salt. I don't even salt my eggs. I eat ham and than wonder why I want to drink alot of water afterwards. Wife cooks and uses salt,but I don't salt my food. Some on french fries and steak.

WDH

French fries are really disguised meat.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Raider Bill

Guy over by Caveman ran from the Cops yesterday into a pond to escape.

Gator knawed off his arm.

Tough to get the cuffs on I bet.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

caveman

Just cuff his wrist to his ankle.  I went hog hunting with some former students one night in a swamp using catch dogs.  When a hog was caught, they had altered hand cuffs and cuffed three of the hog's legs together and we would drag it out and put it in a dog box on the back of the truck. 

I suspect the gator that I posted a picture of earlier made a pretty good living off of wild hogs and coons until last week.  I think that he was the same one I have been seeing in a drainage ditch back in the swamp near my house the last couple of years.  My neighbor trapped 14 wild hogs last month and there are still a few coming to his trap (not set now).
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!