iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Miner Edger

Started by Josh3760, May 07, 2016, 11:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh3760

I have been looking for an edger for quite a while now. So I was surfing Craigslist this morning and saw an edger close to me, within 30 miles. So I hopped in the truck and this thing followed me home.

Looks like it's all there and should be pretty simple to get going. I have never used a 3 blade edger so I have some learning to do. My only concern with it is two of the blades are missing teeth and their locks. Are these hard to come by? Where can I buy them and how do u install them? I will post more pics as I go go through it.
Josh

customdave

Looks like good heavy old iron it will be neat to see her working again , good find...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

longtime lurker

Meadows bought out and continue to build Miner edgers. I would be surprised if all parts were not available off the shelf.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Ron Wenrich

You'll be able to get inserted teeth and shanks off of a sawmill supply dealer.  Menominee should be able to handle it with ease.  They're one of our sponsors and have an ad on the left side.  You will need to know your shank size.  If you look on the side of a shank, you'll have a letter and a number.  It will look something like F8 or B9, for example. 

If it was me, I would also change all the teeth in the saws before I started to use it.  Also, you're going to need an insert wrench to change teeth.  Maybe you got one in the deal. 

How many of the saws are movable?  It looks like just one.  The other two would be stationary.  You might have to move one to suit your needs. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Josh3760

That is correct only one blade is moveable. It came with a bunch of spacers so u can change the distance between the two fix blades. Right now it's at 4 inches. I will give Menominee saw a call on Monday. Do u have to take the blades off the machine to change bits or is it able to be done on the machine?
Josh

Ron Wenrich

You can change teeth with the blade on the arbor.  I would spray the blades to loosen up any rust or scale under the shanks.  I've found that you may have to hit the top of the saw tooth with a hammer is they are too stubborn to come loose.  I also had to put a board in another tooth, then sit on the board, to help the arbor from moving.  Your results may vary.  Make sure your tooth and shank are in alignment and all the way in the socket.  You'll also have to seat in your shanks, or they may come loose. 

You may have a problem with 2 stationary saws that close together.  You'll have to figure out how to work around it.

Josh3760

Does anybody know what the PTO speed is to run the edger? I have looked all over the Internet with little to show. The guy I bought it from said he run it off a formal h. I'm thinking I will probably just put a stationary engine on it. I have a extra thermo King diesel lying around. Need to figure out what size pulleys to get to match rpms
Josh

KirkD

The H would have a standard 540 RPM PTO
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

doghunter

we turn our edger 1800 rpms. you probably need to soak those saws down with penetrating oil for a few days to free them up. the shanks look to be 2 1/2 pattern probably 10 gauge with 1/4 inch bits that seems to be a good combination for us.good luck looks like a good find

Alligator

It hasn't been abused. We ran one just like that. It was in the mill when I first remember and stayed the last 15 years. Edged all the side boards for 20m feet of lumber a day. I would like to see a picture of the right side of the saw box. Right being from the feed end. The only time you have to remove the saws is to replace bearings or if you hit metal and break a tooth. Rings and shanks are changed from the top, as is sharpening. Build you a top from spare boards, else it will cover the operator with sawdust.

The reason I want to see the right side? Ours had a bracelet chain that ran around the feed rollers and underneath a sprocket on the saw mandrel. That was how the feed rollers were driven. Ours was beat up pretty bad after 20 / 25 years. It still did the job until the last day.

Good find!
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Josh3760

Thanks for all the replies! I soaked everything down with penetrating oil toady including the saws, I will do the same tomorrow and for a few days to come. I tried to find a number on the teeth today only thing I seen was an 8 on the locks. I'm going to call the saw shop tomorrow. I have never had to deal with circular saw blades before so this is all new to me. Kind of curious how much bits, locks and the tool to change them are. Other then them it needs new belts, a new bearing for a feed roller, and some new wood for the out feed table.

I'm excited to get everything freed up and hook the tractor to it see how it does. Then clean it up paint it and figure out a stationary power head for it. Alligator I will take a pic of the right side tomorrow for ya. Yes it has a chain bracelet on the right side. Actually two for the feed rollers.
Josh

Josh3760

One more question what is the point of a three blade edger? I have only seen two blade edgers in action. Just cerrious what the benefit of the third blade is? Thinking I might eliminate one saw and just use it as two blade edger.
Josh

Alligator

I took the picture that you can see down on the feed rollers, and remove the shadow to look at the ware on the feed rollers. They don't look like they have ever built up. We use to have to take the feed rollers out about every 3 years and have them built up and re-grooved. Our production was high enough to wear them smooth after 3 years.

Corley5

A 9 3/4" flat belt pulley on a Farmall H turns at 1020 RPMs at 1650 engine RPMs.  Different diameter pulleys were available to vary speed.  The rear PTO turns 540 RPM at 1650 engine RPMs.  I run my three blade edger with an H and flat belt that dynos at 30 HP on the belt.  It lacks HP using three blades in 2" material.  Good looking old edger  8) 8) 8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Alligator

We never used the third blade. We moved it off to the left side, but left it on. We only cut 4" - 12" dimension lumber. The third blade has to be kept up (sharp, bits & shanks) if you keep it in play, else wide  flared boards will hang on the third saw.

It can be setup to cut stickers. We did that for a while once when we were short of stickers. We just couldn't stop the help from throwing the stickers in the chipper. >:(

Josh3760

Thanks again guys. I will keep u posted as it moves along maybe a little slow while it's kids soft ball season. Corely glad to hear from you as this edger came from wolverine mi. I'd like to stop by sometime and check out your mill. I live over by Boyne.
Josh

Corley5

Who did you buy it from ??? 8)  Next week I'm planning to finish dismantling and moving my mill.  Ran out of weather last fall early winter :) 

Josh3760

I forgot his name.. Lol he was an older guy lived off of Afton road was driving a blue and white Ford dump truck
Josh

Corley5

Mickey Bunker  :)  He had/has his Meadows Mill for sale too.

Corley5

I'm west of Wolverine on Wolverine/Mitchell Rd by Weber Lake.

Josh3760

Quote from: Corley5 on May 09, 2016, 07:45:22 PM
I'm west of Wolverine on Wolverine/Mitchell Rd by Weber Lake.

I know the area very well. Probably been by your place a few 100 times. I'd like to stop in some time and check out your mill when u get it up and going.
Alligator here is a photo of the right side.

Can some one help me make sense out of these markings on the locks. I did not have time to call the saw shop today and I'd like to know a little about them before I make the call here are two photos both side of the same tooth

One side says FX8-CT the other side SJ-F
Josh

Ron Wenrich

FX8 means it's an F style shank.  The 8 is the gauge.  A common shank.  I believe the SJ is the manufacturer, probably Spear and Jackson.  The first shank that is bigger is a winter type of shank.  The second one is a summer style.  The tooth style is what they call a Standall bit.  I never used them, but those look to be in good shape.  The Standall is more of a winter style bit.  Works just as well in summer.  In our area, you mix a winter shank with a summer bit, and run those all year long. 

Josh3760

Thanks Ron. I called Menominee saw today and talked to Roseanne. She was very helpful and after half hour on the phone with here my head hurt from all the info absorbed. I decided to just have them pickup the blades as they come my way every week. She was concerned as am I with the the missing teeth and possible damage to the saws. Their going to inspect them replace what needs to be replaced  and hammer them if need be. She gave me a rough estimate and was quite reasonable.
Josh

Alligator

Quote from: Josh3760 on May 09, 2016, 09:47:34 PM

Alligator here is a photo of the right side.

Our must have modified at some point. I only had a 4 v-pulley on the left pulled by 25 hp 440 v. No flat belts or disengaging arm. The saw mandrel was pushed thru and had a 5th sprocket on it, on the right side. The long bracelet chain ran under the mandrel sprocket to give turn in the push/pull right direction.

Like this

Alligator

The wood frame had been replaced with 8" or 10" channel iron.

Thank You Sponsors!